Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2012, 03:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdorion1 View Post
I actually did notice that AC didn't seem to do much, if anything. I was on a flat road and I would leave the throttle constant and get a constant reading on MPG. Then I would flick the AC on and off for couple minute intervals and look for a noticeable difference. Though that's not scientifically sound, I couldn't really find one. I think the compressors may have gotten more efficient in the recent past.
I must be on CC, then switch on the AC to be able to see any noticeable change (in fuel consumption and LOaD on the ScanGauge).
It quickly settles down to the previous, AC-less fuel consumption values.

But there's no way around it : AC uses some power, and the only power source is the engine .

Quote:
Nice to hear that I don't need to buy a beaded seat and sit with the windows up sweating off my nads to get good mileage ha.
I won't do that either .
Once out of my comfort zone - anything over 22°C / 72°F - the AC is switched on.

Quote:
I am just too conscious of the people behind me who think I'm slowing them down and are in a big hurry to nowhere in traffic...
You'll get to the point where you ignore them.
Occasionally you'll have one that suddenly gets it when they realize you're hardly braking or stopping, and slipping through the greens

I only accomodate semi's, as they usually aren't allowed to overtake, so I'll match my speed to theirs as they start catching up.

My pulses are faster than most drivers accelerate, and some of my cornering is pretty spirited despite the eco-tyres.
Like many here, I too have a history of going fast.

Quote:
I think soon we might be paying prices here in the states that are more what Euromodder is used to on the other side of the pond.
It'd finish off the US economy if it happened too fast.
Most of what we pay are taxes, not the oil itself nor the refining or Big Oil profits.
Taxing Yanks is political suicide though
So it'll only happen in very small steps.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-09-2012, 03:57 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Fresh Powder - '12 Nissan Versa S
Must... resist... urge... to talk about science and politics ha. We are great over here at ramping up unfunded wars and cutting taxes, then suddenly worrying about balancing the budget in a recession (or whatever its called now.) And I actually knew most of that about GPS minus the distances (I'm one of those weird science people), but the accuracy is still fascinating. And technically they are still computers (must adjust for relativistic effects after all) just not computing for me personally

Anyways I did an accuracy test on my second tank of gas since the first was tainted by the dealer and the fact that I don't know at what point they filled up. I couldn't be happier. Well I suppose I could, but I think I did alright. On my second tank I traveled 389.6 miles on 8.35 gallons of gas for an average of 46.66 mpg. Based on that my mpg gauge actually underestimated by .1mpg because it apparently rounded down. I did not yet check speedometer accuracy so that is a potential confounding variable still. All I did was pump up the tires, the rest is stock. This tank was probably closer to 70% highway which helped. I did a lot of coasting in neutral, downshifting to slow (this car kills the engine except at very low speed) and got to know my route and this car for transition points. Will do a grill block at some point still.

Believe it or not in 6 years of driving I've never had one accident or ticket, until 10 days after I got my brand spanking new car when I got rear ended. Murphy's law and all that. Its minor, and its been approved by his insurance, but its a frustrating experience and it took up a lot of my time between my last post and this one. Anyways, turning this post into a marathon now I had an idea I wanted to bring up and maybe it should be a separate thread. Has anyone heard of the app called "waze"? It takes and aggregates driving data to tell you where traffic, speed traps and also cheap gas are. I'm interested in the traffic aspect because I imagine if you avoid stop and go traffic jams your fuel savings could be huge. I wasn't sure if anyone had any inputs or thoughts on this. It seems like a pretty solid driving modification to me but I haven't had a chance to use it much yet.

Reply  Post New Thread