Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2019, 10:17 PM   #21 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiGroundhogDay View Post
I used to track motorcycles and then use my touring bike for a sense of adventure, but that didn't end well with a deer encounter. That took the alpha right out of me, so 4 wheels and a cage seemed like the way to go for the longevity play and also comfort. The Toyota hybrids have "ready mode" where you can set the climate control and A/C will run off the traction battery and cycle on the engine every so often to recharge. Living in a van down by the river is only fun if I'm comfy. I'm unsure if the Pacifica can do this and I'm unsure of that vehicle's ability to get down fire roads, but I love that there are more hybrids in this world.
I've taken a rented Caravan campervan* down roads recommended for high clearance vehicles only. It worked but I had to choose my line carefully. I've seen people lift Caravans with the kits used for handicap accessible taxis.

The Caravan Campervan is tight for two people but a RAV4 might work for a single person.

I've not heard of any problems with RAV4 hybrids. The 2 Prii I owned were the most reliable vehicles I've every had.

*Rented from Escape Campervans 4 times. Great company. The Caravans have been replaced by Ford Transit Connects

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-25-2019, 09:46 AM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
Quote:
I'm curious what y'all predict...
I'm curious about the RAV4's rear axle. Do you have one or access to info on them?

I laid on the ground and looked up at one at a Toyota dealer, likely a 2017 or 2018. It had twin 40hp motors and the differential in software.

I have a Lexus rear axle that has a single 68hp motor and an open diff. I'm less interested in it since that experience on black ice a few years back.

Old 01-08-2020, 03:55 PM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

OP, I am in sort of a dilemma like you. I bought a new 18 RAVH and then when I read about the 2019 RAVH with the high efficiency motor, I wanted a 19. I know I'll lose a lot of money if I trade up, but I'd love the higher efficiency. I'm getting an all round 38mpg now, but believe I could get 43 or so on a '19.
Did you ever decide on what you're going to do?
Thanks,
JD

Reply  Post New Thread