Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2019, 07:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tyrant-at-large
 
Vman455's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 1,422

Little Red - retired - '05 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 49.03 mpg (US)

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
90 day: 55.15 mpg (US)
Thanks: 142
Thanked 1,191 Times in 627 Posts
2020 Silverado Diesel 3.0 EPA Rated...

...33 mpg highway--pretty phenomenal for a truck! Here's Chevy's press release: https://media.gm.com/media/us/en/che...silverado.html

Quote:
-The inline-six engine provides an inherently balanced configuration for low noise and vibration characteristics. It features an aluminum block for weight reduction, an 84mm x 90mm bore and stroke, dual-overhead camshafts and four valves per cylinder.
-A new active thermal management system warms up propulsion components more quickly for more efficient operation.
-The exhaust brake, which is available in tow-haul mode, can provide additional driver confidence when towing, especially when going downhill.
-The driver-selectable stop/start technology enhances fuel economy by shutting off the engine at stoplights and certain other stop-and-go situations, helping save fuel. The engine automatically restarts when the driver takes his or her foot off the brake.
-The 3.0L Duramax is exclusively paired with a Hydra-Matic 10L80 10-speed automatic transmission, featuring smaller gear steps and an overall larger ratio spread to enable peak efficiency. Intelligent controls adjust to the driverís needs for smooth operation and aggressive response.
It's unclear whether there were any aerodynamic changes for this model specifically; the release quotes the chief engineer as saying it's "more aerodynamic than before" but doesn't clarify whether that's the diesel compared to the gas version or the truck overall, which of course was all-new for 2019.

__________________

  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vman455 For This Useful Post:
Hersbird (07-26-2019)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 07-26-2019, 01:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Missoula, MT
Posts: 1,731
Thanks: 117
Thanked 608 Times in 415 Posts
So that's the best so far. I know Fiat is claiming the new Ecodiesel will be the best so I wonder if it hits 30 highway with the 4wd. The Ford has a good 2wd rating but takes a big hit with the 4wd. Then again so does this Chevy.

What's sort of surprising the smaller truck (Canyon/Colorado) with the smaller diesel (2.8 vs 3.0), with 100 less hp and torque, is only rated 20/30 2wd and 19/28 4wd. And they wonder why the smaller trucks keep dying off. They cost just as much, but don't do as much, or save much as just getting a full size.

Last edited by Hersbird; 07-26-2019 at 01:09 AM..
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
fusion210 (07-26-2019)
Old 07-30-2019, 10:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Piotrsko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: 1826 miles WSW of Normal
Posts: 683
Thanks: 28
Thanked 151 Times in 128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
So that's the best so far. I know Fiat is claiming the new Ecodiesel will be the best so I wonder if it hits 30 highway with the 4wd. The Ford has a good 2wd rating but takes a big hit with the 4wd. Then again so does this Chevy.

What's sort of surprising the smaller truck (Canyon/Colorado) with the smaller diesel (2.8 vs 3.0), with 100 less hp and torque, is only rated 20/30 2wd and 19/28 4wd. And they wonder why the smaller trucks keep dying off. They cost just as much, but don't do as much, or save much as just getting a full size.
And it's really difficult shoving a full sheet of plywood in those smaller beds
__________________
2000 F250 7.3 CC 20+ MPG @ 10000 #
2013 Golf tdi 47.5 mpg neutered, summer fuel
1988 Ranger EV Volt batts>> 17,000 MPG and climbing. Apart for rebuild.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 10:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles
 
rmay635703's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere in WI
Posts: 3,062

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Thanks: 289
Thanked 552 Times in 411 Posts
Now imagine if they beefed up a VW Caddy the fuel economy that could get?
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Redneck Ecomodder
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 330

Dent-Mobile - '99 Buick Lesabre
90 day: 22.68 mpg (US)

Red Rocket - '92 Geo Metro Base
Thanks: 6
Thanked 52 Times in 44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
So that's the best so far. I know Fiat is claiming the new Ecodiesel will be the best so I wonder if it hits 30 highway with the 4wd. The Ford has a good 2wd rating but takes a big hit with the 4wd. Then again so does this Chevy.

What's sort of surprising the smaller truck (Canyon/Colorado) with the smaller diesel (2.8 vs 3.0), with 100 less hp and torque, is only rated 20/30 2wd and 19/28 4wd. And they wonder why the smaller trucks keep dying off. They cost just as much, but don't do as much, or save much as just getting a full size.
Is that 2.8 a v6? I know that inline sixes are inherently more efficient, all else being equal. I suspect that an I6 would have a very hard time fitting in a Colorado.
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Redneck Ecomodder
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 330

Dent-Mobile - '99 Buick Lesabre
90 day: 22.68 mpg (US)

Red Rocket - '92 Geo Metro Base
Thanks: 6
Thanked 52 Times in 44 Posts
I just read the article and I saw two things to gripe about.

They said the new Silverado is Larger. Why!? they're already huge and ugly, don't make it worse.

Second, they said it's the first time that Chevy has used an inline-6 in a half ton pickup. That's hogwash, I've seen lots of Chevy pickups up into the 80's even with I-6's.
__________________
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shaneajanderson For This Useful Post:
skyking (08-18-2019)
Old 07-30-2019, 01:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles
 
rmay635703's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere in WI
Posts: 3,062

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Thanks: 289
Thanked 552 Times in 411 Posts
My uncle had an old 300cuin 6 banger back in the day
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9E96719A-A6BC-45B6-B3A3-87DFA0783987.jpeg
Views:	25
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	26575  
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Missoula, MT
Posts: 1,731
Thanks: 117
Thanked 608 Times in 415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneajanderson View Post
I just read the article and I saw two things to gripe about.

They said the new Silverado is Larger. Why!? they're already huge and ugly, don't make it worse.

Second, they said it's the first time that Chevy has used an inline-6 in a half ton pickup. That's hogwash, I've seen lots of Chevy pickups up into the 80's even with I-6's.
The I6 was rare into the 70s and 80s in trucks (pretty common in GM cars) and they may have only been available in what they may not have considered "light duty" trucks (even though according to DOT even a 2020 Duramax 2500 Silverado HD is "light duty"). Still up until the mid 50s it was the only motor available in a Chevy pickup. Agreed a bad claim.

Also the 2.8 diesel is an I4.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
Redneck Ecomodder
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 330

Dent-Mobile - '99 Buick Lesabre
90 day: 22.68 mpg (US)

Red Rocket - '92 Geo Metro Base
Thanks: 6
Thanked 52 Times in 44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
The I6 was rare into the 70s and 80s in trucks (pretty common in GM cars) and they may have only been available in what they may not have considered "light duty" trucks (even though according to DOT even a 2020 Duramax 2500 Silverado HD is "light duty"). Still up until the mid 50s it was the only motor available in a Chevy pickup. Agreed a bad claim.

Also the 2.8 diesel is an I4.
That's a big four banger. Not sure why that would get such bad fuel economy, though admittedly I know little about diesel engines.
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles
 
rmay635703's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere in WI
Posts: 3,062

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Thanks: 289
Thanked 552 Times in 411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneajanderson View Post
That's a big four banger. Not sure why that would get such bad fuel economy, though admittedly I know little about diesel engines.
Generally the fewer cylinders the more efficient due to thermal loss and friction, odd cylinder counts get better FE due to harmonics, a 3 cylinder 2.2 liter diesel would be the most efficient while also being harsh to drive.

Anyway.
At this point the economy isnít ďbadĒ comparatively on any of these trucks (if you look back 10 years anyway)

That said my 6.2 suburban could turn 28mpg with a 5 speed stick, and it was cheap and didnít require a turbo (which tends to plug up in cold climates)

  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com