Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Classifieds > For Sale
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2012, 10:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Old Retired R&D Dude
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Woburn Mass USA
Posts: 699

Little Red - '12 Toyota Prius c 2 Two
90 day: 57.82 mpg (US)

"Whitey" Bulger - '14 Toyota RAV4 LE
Thanks: 10
Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
3,500 New 2013 Ford Escapes damaged

Hail storm takes a toll of $175 million in Louisville; thousands of new Ford Escapes damaged | The Courier-Journal | courier-journal.com

Maybe folks living in the Louisville area can pick up one of these and a dent puller, for cheap money??

__________________
Cheers,
Rich

Current ride: 2014 RAV4 LE AWD (24 MPG)

Wife's Pizza Transporter
  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 06-13-2012, 09:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles
 
rmay635703's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere in WI
Posts: 3,329

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Thanks: 351
Thanked 665 Times in 497 Posts
Ford says no, not sure what they are doing but Ford won't saturate their market allowing the price to drop, auto makers are very conscience these days to make slightly less volume than what they need to keep the prices high.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Philippines
Posts: 2,173
Thanks: 1,739
Thanked 587 Times in 401 Posts
It's liability worries. Just as with Mazda when they lost that boatload of stock... they don't want customers complaining several years down the line that they got "lemons" that rust early, squeak, rattle, have poor body integrity or weird window/windshield fitment.

They'll strip all the undamaged mechanicals out of the cars and recycle the shells into new metal, most likely. It's a waste, but given how trigger-happy lawsuit-mongers are, it's the only thing a manufacturer can do to keep itself covered.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Old Retired R&D Dude
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Woburn Mass USA
Posts: 699

Little Red - '12 Toyota Prius c 2 Two
90 day: 57.82 mpg (US)

"Whitey" Bulger - '14 Toyota RAV4 LE
Thanks: 10
Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
I wonder if some of those damaged were Hybrids??
__________________
Cheers,
Rich

Current ride: 2014 RAV4 LE AWD (24 MPG)

Wife's Pizza Transporter
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles
 
rmay635703's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere in WI
Posts: 3,329

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Thanks: 351
Thanked 665 Times in 497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by niky View Post
It's liability worries. Just as with Mazda when they lost that boatload of stock... they don't want customers complaining several years down the line that they got "lemons" that rust early, squeak, rattle, have poor body integrity or weird window/windshield fitment.
Thats partially true but there isn't any liability on salvage or repaired title cars, at least if its reported as such.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Philippines
Posts: 2,173
Thanks: 1,739
Thanked 587 Times in 401 Posts
Doesn't matter. If customers end up with poorly repaired cars and are under the impression that they're new, it affects brand image.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Old Retired R&D Dude
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Woburn Mass USA
Posts: 699

Little Red - '12 Toyota Prius c 2 Two
90 day: 57.82 mpg (US)

"Whitey" Bulger - '14 Toyota RAV4 LE
Thanks: 10
Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
There are laws in the USA about selling re-furbished/etc goods as "New".
These damaged Fords might be covered under those rules..

Especially,since they were out of the factory (finished goods) waiting for shipment.

And, since the insurance company would likely be handling the disposition of the cars,
they will make sure they can't be liable for sales under false pretenses..

I would think the repairs would become part of the VIN history. (By federal law).
Show Me the CARFAX!
__________________
Cheers,
Rich

Current ride: 2014 RAV4 LE AWD (24 MPG)

Wife's Pizza Transporter
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Philippines
Posts: 2,173
Thanks: 1,739
Thanked 587 Times in 401 Posts
Look at the big picture...

No auto company is willing to sell anything brand new that was damaged in a natural disaster. Mazda ferry accident cars? Scrapped. Japanese tsunami cars? Scrapped. Thai flood cars? Scrapped. Hail damaged cars? You get the idea.

Even with carfax, insurance and liability disclaimers, the fact that a customer is receiving a significantly damaged or nearly destroyed car with nearly zero miles on the odometer is a big risk that the manufacturer is NOT willing to take. They are not willing to guarantee the repairs, they are not willing to stand by the product, they are not even willing to try.

It's not just the reliability, but also the safety aspect. Customer has an unsafe car because of something the customer did (worn tires... dirty brakes... etcetera), that's on the customer. Customer has an unsafe car because the company willingly sold damaged goods... that's on the company. And you can bet that some judge will find them liable no matter what precautions they take.

Thus... the cars go on the scrapheap... even if there's a 99% chance they're still good... because no company wants to be left holding the ball when that 1% ends up in court.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Old Retired R&D Dude
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Woburn Mass USA
Posts: 699

Little Red - '12 Toyota Prius c 2 Two
90 day: 57.82 mpg (US)

"Whitey" Bulger - '14 Toyota RAV4 LE
Thanks: 10
Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
If Ford gives up ownership of the dented cars to the insurance co.
I don't see how Ford would ever have any problems.
After all, the VINs are forever.

Plus, it's not like hail stones car harm the tires, engine, battery etc...
Heck, they might be re-furbished well enough that Ford might want to sell them as used.
__________________
Cheers,
Rich

Current ride: 2014 RAV4 LE AWD (24 MPG)

Wife's Pizza Transporter
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Columbus, Ga
Posts: 154

Whitey - '10 Ford Ranger XL
Pickups
90 day: 33.74 mpg (US)

Hershey - '13 Nissan Altima SL
90 day: 28.68 mpg (US)

Midas - '10 Toyota Prius two
Thanks: 15
Thanked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xringer View Post
I wonder if some of those damaged were Hybrids??
Nope, 2013 escapes have the 1.6L ecoboost option which gets better FE than a 2012 escape hybrid. The old ICE still has learned a few new tricks, maybe a full hybrid would have compared better.

FYI: The 2.0L ecoboost can haul the same as the 2012 escapes V6

__________________


Check out my facebook page, if you feel like watching my progress.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/MPGran...007268?sk=wall
  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com