Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2012, 11:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Not to start any fight here.

Chrysler engines seem to be " drink gas" This come from what I see daily.

I know 1 guy who had 390K miles on 1998 Dodge 1500 ext/4wd with 318 v8. It retired in 2005 at 360K. Used for Detroit/Bay City/ Alger daily driving. He was telling me how he average 15-17 mpg on strict highway.

You could try add vacuum gauge to show how heavy you on gas so you could try improve.

Or get scangauge from here store. It useful for me when I had F350 with OBD2 it was interested to see how much fuel it use to drive.

My old 94 Explorer 4 door 4wd with V6 average 18 in city and 20-23 mpg highway. I think it weight 4500 pound. Speed I only go 60 due gear in rear axle was 3.73.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-20-2012, 08:37 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Manicured Knuckle Dragger - '01 Dodge Durango SLT 4x4
90 day: 14.73 mpg (US)
Now that I've had some time to cool off and think rationally, I'd like to apologize for my previous rant.

That said:

Comparing the Ford Escape and the Dodge Durango does not make sense. You might as well compare a Civic and a Silverado. The Escape is a car-based SUV. It is front wheel drive and is made to stay on maintained roads. The four wheel drive model is all wheel drive AKA full-time 4 wheel (can be used on dry pavement) and is much lighter than a part-time 4 wheel drive system (only useable on slippery surfaces) like the Durango. Even the all-wheel drive Durangos have 4 lock and 4 low ranges. The Durango is also built for towing and hauling much like the Dakota pickup that it is derived from, so beyond the extra weight compared to the Escape, the entire vehicle will be less fuel efficient.

As for the Suburban, that's really impressive to me that such a big truck does so well on gas. Or maybe it's depressing that my "little" truck uses so much gas. Either way, I don't believe that you have ever owned a Durango, and I certainly have never owned a Suburban, and since my driving style and conditions are different than yours, there really is no comparing the two. Right now, I'm seeing 14.5 as an average. That doesn't mean that 20 is unreasonable to achieve, especially once I do some mods to the truck, and get out on the highway a time or two.

Lastly, I shouldn't need to justify why I drive what I do. If the only goal was absolute efficiency, we'd all be riding 50cc scooters or bicycles. Reality adds other factors when picking transportation, some of which we cannot change. My Durango is my reality, and I freely accepted it when I signed the title. I knew what I was getting into, and I also know how to improve it. So, please, either help me succeed when I need it, or get out of the way, 'cuz I'm not about to stop or even slow down. That would hurt my momentum, and we all know that gas mileage loves momentum.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
Got MPG?

The Car - '09 Toyota Corolla CE Enhanced
Well lets help with the Durango get all it can then...

Have you considered:
1) doing a belly pan full/partial
2) what about a front airdam or lowering the front an inch or so, does it have adjustable torsion bars in the front
3) Grill block...do you have a scanguageII, I think you night be able to get away with blocking the 4 quadrant grill part as a first step.
4) Mudflap delete
5) pizza pan wheel covers
6) air up your tires a bit, 40psi if possible

I don't think that any of us have to justify what we drive, I am a good example of that as I have a Suburban and a Corolla. Each vehicle has its designated purpose, which I can't/won't compromise on. My friend has a Durango so I am familiar with them and what they get. Anyways, you bought what you did and you're happy with your choice...moving on...

Last edited by LeanBurn; 04-20-2012 at 02:52 PM..
Old 04-20-2012, 03:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
JCH
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MosersMopars View Post
My family and I went on a little road trip this past weekend. 3 hours of stop-free driving to our destination, and on the way home we were never more than 1 mile from the highway, plus the truck didn't sit long enough to lose significant heat. The result was over 16.9 MPG! Obviously city driving kills mileage, but I never expected this, especially since my modification list is: synthetic oil and roof rack cross bars moved to the rear. I'm really looking forward to increasing this further over the coming summer. More synthetics in the drive axles, plus new spark plugs and wires are next up.
What plugs are you planning on using?
Old 04-20-2012, 04:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanBurn View Post
Well lets help with the Durango get all it can then...

Have you considered:
2) what about a front airdam or lowering the front an inch or so, does it have adjustable torsion bars in the front
3) Grill block...do you have a scanguageII, I think you night be able to get away with blocking the 4 quadrant grill part as a first step.
4) Mudflap delete
This is all directed to MosersMopars:

1) I think you're already planning that.
2) A 1970-s Camaro air dam works fairly well. I've got one installed on my Dakota.
3) Eh... I would not run one in the summer months. The 4.7L I have generates plenty of heat, and your 5.9L probably generates just as much, if not more. It might be a better idea to fabricate grille inserts using wire mesh.
4) Yep
5) The only issue I've found is trying to get the covers securely fastened to the wheels. Otherwise, this is good for about a 5% improvement in fuel economy. The Dakota/Durango wheels are really aerodynamically dirty.
6) I run 44 psi with no tire wear issues.

And some more Dakota/Durango specific recommendations:

- I think you're planning this too - definitely delete your stock engine driven fan, and upgrade your electric fan to a Jeep Grand Cherokee fan or Lincoln Mk VIII. Then, if you want to experiment with a front grille block anyway, put in a fan controller that comes on below the stock setpoint of 210 F.
- replace your dumbo-ear side mirrors with the smaller 5x8 mirrors.
- use rubber door seals to seal up the gaps between your headlamps and your bumper.
- get rid of your roof rack altogether
- think about fabricating a rear aero spoiler
- think about installing rear wheel well covers

Quote:
I don't think that any of us have to justify what we drive, I am a good example of that as I have a Suburban and a Corolla. Each vehicle has its designated purpose, which I can't/won't compromise on. My friend has a Durango so I am familiar with them and what they get. Anyways, you bought what you did and you're happy with your choice...moving on...
x2. MosersMopars, ignore the naysayers. They don't own your vehicle, you do. If they want you to get a spiffy little baby car for fuel economy, they can buy it for you.

Last edited by t vago; 04-20-2012 at 05:09 PM..
Old 04-20-2012, 05:01 PM   #16 (permalink)
Got MPG?

The Car - '09 Toyota Corolla CE Enhanced
I don't own the Durango & I am not the OP, just trying to help out...
Old 04-20-2012, 05:02 PM   #17 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
oops. Sorry.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:01 PM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Manicured Knuckle Dragger - '01 Dodge Durango SLT 4x4
90 day: 14.73 mpg (US)
Quote:
Have you considered:
Planned, as soon as I'm up on all my chassis service and have the time to design it.
Quote:
Airdam also considered, ride height must stay the same for now.
Quote:
I'm planning this too, after a coolant flush and thermostat change.
Quote:
4) Mudflap delete
No mud flaps
Quote:
This might take some convincing with the wife, but maybe.
Quote:
I'm also considering this.

Keep in mind I'm just starting out, I've only had the truck since February and I still have a laundry list of service to catch up on before I go starting on other projects, though some of these may help some with economy also.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:08 PM   #19 (permalink)
AeroGuy

Outback 14 - '14 Subaru Outback Limited
90 day: 23.1 mpg (US)
Ugh, I used to drive my brother's Durango RT... I feel your pain on the mileage. And I drove it back when gas cost a third of what it does now!

Watching the gas gauge move on highway trips was kind of fun in a demented sort of way, I guess. And that was taking it easy.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:05 AM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

clank - '99 jeep tj sport
90 day: 17.32 mpg (US)
i know, just about everyone in their dog suggests getting a different vehicle; i'm modding my jeep(currently getting 17mpg city).

you could try changing out the fuel injectors from 1 to 4 hole of the same lb/hr; did that recently to the jeep, smoothed out the idle; the hear say is that it gives 1 mpg or more for the 4l i6(the injectors are out of a 3.3l chrysler mini-van; bright green after 2000)

other than that maybe re-gear/change tires

and make sure your speedo is accurate

Last edited by baldlobo; 04-22-2012 at 04:15 AM..
Reply  Post New Thread