Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2012, 09:36 AM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Manicured Knuckle Dragger - '01 Dodge Durango SLT 4x4
90 day: 14.73 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCH View Post
What plugs are you planning on using?
I'll be going with the Bosch Platinum +4s. I know That many people have not had good results with these, but I've put them on 2 other vehicles and seen improvements. On another 2 trucks I've used different non-OEM plugs with "more" spark and gotten gains, so I personally will always upgrade rather than use OEM spec plugs. I'll also be using 8mm spark plug wires and an all-brass distributor cap & rotor for less electrical resistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t vago View Post
This is all directed to MosersMopars:
5) The only issue I've found is trying to get the covers securely fastened to the wheels. Otherwise, this is good for about a 5% improvement in fuel economy. The Dakota/Durango wheels are really aerodynamically dirty.

- I think you're planning this too - definitely delete your stock engine driven fan, and upgrade your electric fan to a Jeep Grand Cherokee fan or Lincoln Mk VIII. Then, if you want to experiment with a front grille block anyway, put in a fan controller that comes on below the stock setpoint of 210 F.

- get rid of your roof rack altogether
I was thinking about using some heavy-duty zip-ties through the wheel spokes, but I really don't think I can sell this to the wife, although she said it might be okay on steel winter wheels, which she thinks are ugly anyway.

I was planning on a 3.8L Taurus/Towncar Electric fan, like this guy: SnowDigger.com - The Garage - Fan Delete , I take it that GC & Mk VIII fans have been used by others? Can you point me to an example?

And I use my roof rack too much to delete it. At least until I have my trailer closer than 2 hours away.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-22-2012, 02:19 PM   #22 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
I've never had problems with +4s, regardless of the supposed "gimmick factor" others here have described. Personally, I think it's a good idea to have 4 ground electrodes rather than just one.

Convince your wife, by mentioning that you'll be saving roughly $3.50 per tankful (or whatever gas happens to cost in your area). Without wheel covers, and using your fuel economy figures, you could go for about 261 miles on 18 gallons of gas. With wheel covers, on the other hand, you could go 277 miles on that same 18 gallons of gas. Or, you could go 261 miles using 16.9 gallons of gas.

I am using a JGC fan, and many people over at Dakota-Durango.com are using either the JGC or the Lincoln Mk VIII fan. The Ford Taurus fan is also a popular switch, now that I remember it.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:23 PM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Silver EP3 - '02 Honda Civic Si
3mpg is huge in that range. For 30mpg car its meh...
Old 04-23-2012, 07:45 PM   #24 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Congratulations on seeing a new high. Extensive, deep records (all gallons, all miles) will reveal the overall average and what really works. The percentage angle is what matters, IMO.

Almost counterintuitively, city mpg can be higher than highway mpg as the former lacks the aero penalty of the latter. I moved my CTD up to 23-mpg in town, recently, and I usually trip-plan 24-mpg highway. Doesn't seem right, even so.

Tell us how the miles break out. Mods predicated on the majority of miles will work best, obviously, and one can spend a lot of time & money where they don't really offer much. Rather, a higher highway number is nice, but if total miles highway is only 20% of all miles, then . . . .

See some good stuff above. Nice to know you're not alone in wanting the lowest fuel burn for your buggy, huh?

Reply  Post New Thread