Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2010, 11:52 AM   #21 (permalink)
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
Can you still access the trunk? how are you going to go about putting a hatchback on it? Will be interested in seeing it mature.

I'm starting to hatch a plan on my Maxima. Looking at the pics of the breeze, I wonder if there is a very clear elastic plastic that is also durable. If so, I would attach the plastic like how he has it on the breeze and use the closing of the trunk to tension it and make it stiff enough to be useful. And still have the use of the trunk.

Did any of that make sense to anyone else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-19-2010, 12:03 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
Great results

I want to do exactly the same on my gen 1 Prius except all in plexi.

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:25 PM   #23 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeTreeMech View Post
Can you still access the trunk? how are you going to go about putting a hatchback on it? Will be interested in seeing it mature.

I'm starting to hatch a plan on my Maxima. Looking at the pics of the breeze, I wonder if there is a very clear elastic plastic that is also durable. If so, I would attach the plastic like how he has it on the breeze and use the closing of the trunk to tension it and make it stiff enough to be useful. And still have the use of the trunk.

Did any of that make sense to anyone else?
So, you want to stretch a straight sheet of plastic from the roof to the trailing edge of the trunk? Well, I bet it would reduce drag somewhat, and once you find suitable materials and fasteners, the rest will be trivial.

On the downside, the most aerodynamic shape is a gradually increasing curve. It will be hard to approximate that shape with something flexible.

If you follow the lead of convertibles with transverse stiffening rods, you'll probably end up with lots of drag (just like soft-top convertibles have).

On older sedans with large trunks, you might be able to get away with having a rigid, composite section attached to the trunk, another one attached to the roof, and a flexible section in between.

Reply  Post New Thread