Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2010, 10:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
alternating valve engine

4 valve per cylinder diesel

could anyone tell me if there has ever been a production, small displacement,
diesel engine with 4 valves per cylinder within a car or pickup truck..... or a small industrial 4 valve diesel engine ? does Perkins make such a motor? ....does John Deere ?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-31-2010, 11:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

oldscoob - '87 subaru wagon gl/dr
90 day: 47.06 mpg (US)
I know there is a 3 valve.. in my dads tractor trailer.

not impressive. alot of repairs in the heads. big compression needs a big two valve.
if an engine is designed for air, it gets it.
the four valver setup is meant to be for grandma take offs and slow slobbering ecus and injection monitoring it all...and then tell the youth "oh yeah, these little engines are bigger than ever"..
if you haven't noticed, HP numberrs have doubled without perormance to match it... you may have guessed.. ever since the four valve heads and big goofy injection.

a diesel is rather slow in this subject... does not need it.knowing insanity called automotive engineering, some schmuck (cough-VW-cough) will add four valves and claim it a performance booster.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
How small is "small displacement"? I have PSA's (Citroën-Peugeot, also installed in Fords as the 1.6l TDCi) HDi turbodiesel: 1.6 liter, aluminum block, 4 cylinder, 16 valves. I believe the newer 2.0l 2.2l also has a 4v/cyl version.
I don't know about the 0.8l 3-cyl CDI diesel in the Smart ForTwo, but I think the 1.2l 3-cyl TDI, of Audi A2 and VW Lupo 3L fame, had 4v per cylinder.

EDIT: Checked on Wikipedia: The VW 1.2 TDI has only 2 valves per cylinder, but it is aluminum and weighs only 100kg (220lbs).

EDIT#2: The 0.8l CDI also is aluminum and has 2v/cyl, but no info on how much it weighs.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread

Last edited by Piwoslaw; 06-01-2010 at 03:07 AM..
Old 06-01-2010, 09:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
alternating valve engine

4 valve per cylinder diesel

Thank you sir for the info...my plans are to convert a small diesel to an alternating valve engine. I have invented and patented this design. It uses a cam which turns one revolution for each 4 crankshaft revolutions, using one intake valve and one exhaust valve each 4 cycles while the other two valves are at rest. The next four cycles, those that were at rest, are used while the first two are at rest. By doing so, the alternating valve train runs at half speed and does not move so fast that stiff valve springs are needed. I have expermented and have valves working just fine with a 15 pound spring where as 150 to 180 pound spring was previously used. Early study indicates near 15 to 18 foot pounds of torque are saved. I will send anyone who asks a detailed write up as to how it works but may have to snail mail it as I'm old and not good with computers..do not know how to post the entire write up with drawings....thanks again for the info regarding the 4 valve diesel....jim whitmer j.whitmer@cox.net

Reply  Post New Thread