Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2019, 07:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Missoula, MT
Posts: 1,788

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touareg TDI Sport AWD
Thanks: 126
Thanked 642 Times in 437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
The most for the least isnít up to the vehicle. And an empty pickup isnít any test at all.

.
But a 40 mpg empty pickup is much better than all the under 20 mpg empty pickups out there doing everyday single occupant commuting. Because not everyone can have 5+ vehicles to be the perfect tool for each situation. I'm down to 2 vehicles worth less than $10,000 total. Sure I'd love a Prius for commuting, a Wrangler for off road, a 3/4 ton diesel for towing, and a minivan for family highway trips, and a Mustang for fun. Instead I have a cheap 3/4 ton Suburban for 3/5ths of those things, and a minivan for 1/5th and the fun has to come from friends and family along for the ride.

  Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
roosterk0031 (06-25-2019), slowmover (06-26-2019)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 06-25-2019, 08:37 AM   #12 (permalink)
Redneck Ecomodder
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 412

Dent-Mobile - '99 Buick Lesabre
90 day: 22.68 mpg (US)

Red Rocket - '92 Geo Metro Base
Thanks: 9
Thanked 77 Times in 62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
I6 is the way God intended engines to be built, gas or diesel. It's even better if they are opposed valve design so the intake is opposite of exhaust.

Like this little number from down under.
Your picture doesn't show up in your comment, though I can see the code for it in the reply box as I quote you.
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:38 AM   #13 (permalink)
Redneck Ecomodder
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 412

Dent-Mobile - '99 Buick Lesabre
90 day: 22.68 mpg (US)

Red Rocket - '92 Geo Metro Base
Thanks: 9
Thanked 77 Times in 62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
But a 40 mpg empty pickup is much better than all the under 20 mpg empty pickups out there doing everyday single occupant commuting. Because not everyone can have 5+ vehicles to be the perfect tool for each situation. I'm down to 2 vehicles worth less than $10,000 total. Sure I'd love a Prius for commuting, a Wrangler for off road, a 3/4 ton diesel for towing, and a minivan for family highway trips, and a Mustang for fun. Instead I have a cheap 3/4 ton Suburban for 3/5ths of those things, and a minivan for 1/5th and the fun has to come from friends and family along for the ride.
Wouldn't it be worthwhile to buy a 4 banger junk wagon for commuting? I mean I paid 350 for my metro, about $50 to register it, and $95 for CV shafts, and I've already saved over that in fuel in the couple months I've been driving it.
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:58 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
slowmover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 2,329

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1,328
Thanked 672 Times in 511 Posts
A pickup is “needed” only when the gear/supplies/equipment CANNOT be carried in a passenger compartment.

Until then are better choices. Lower risk and higher rate of utilization.

And the DOWN UNDER engine looks suspiciously like the DODGE Slant Six. (Best motor ever for title of The Forever Motor. Convert it to propane and the Sun may burn out before it does).
__________________
2004.0 DODGE Ram QC/LB 2500 2WD/NV-5600 305/555 ISB. 7,940-lb. Stock. 200,000 miles/5000-hrs @ 40-mph average.
1990 35' Silver Streak TT 7,900-lb.
11-cpm solo & 19-cpm towing; 21-mpg average past 54k-miles
Sold: 1983 Silver Streak 3411
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:10 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: arkansas
Posts: 497

"Proper Shitbox" (SOLD) - '96 Honda Civic LX fully optioned no weight reduction
90 day: 41.9 mpg (US)

Plue Brius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 57.73 mpg (US)

The Smoke Bomb - '96 Ford Ranger
Thanks: 153
Thanked 86 Times in 70 Posts
Sure glad Ford designed Chevy a good transmission finally. The 8 speed was slip city on the V8 Camaros and the like.
__________________
"I feel like the bad decisions come into play when you trade too much of your time for money paying for things you can't really afford."

2010 Prius
1996 Ranger
1987 Bass Tracker 70hp Yamaha
1970s 15' Water Rover 30hp Yamaha
2009 Suzuki GS500F
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:32 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Missoula, MT
Posts: 1,788

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touareg TDI Sport AWD
Thanks: 126
Thanked 642 Times in 437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneajanderson View Post
Wouldn't it be worthwhile to buy a 4 banger junk wagon for commuting? I mean I paid 350 for my metro, about $50 to register it, and $95 for CV shafts, and I've already saved over that in fuel in the couple months I've been driving it.
No, insurance and registration on a 3rd vehicle costs more than the gas my monster Suburban uses. I also need to get to work in all Montana winters have to deal, I had a Subaru as a 3rd car but realized I wasn't saving anything. There are no reliable awds less than about $2500, and they don't save much gas anyway (my Suburban was only $3800). I don't have a long commute but will be one of "those guys" driving alone in the guzzler next to you every morning.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
Redneck Ecomodder
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 412

Dent-Mobile - '99 Buick Lesabre
90 day: 22.68 mpg (US)

Red Rocket - '92 Geo Metro Base
Thanks: 9
Thanked 77 Times in 62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
No, insurance and registration on a 3rd vehicle costs more than the gas my monster Suburban uses. I also need to get to work in all Montana winters have to deal, I had a Subaru as a 3rd car but realized I wasn't saving anything. There are no reliable awds less than about $2500, and they don't save much gas anyway (my Suburban was only $3800). I don't have a long commute but will be one of "those guys" driving alone in the guzzler next to you every morning.
How much is your registration and insurance? I pay like $50 for registration and $250 for insurance for a year. I've saved that much gas over my f150 in a couple months of driving my geo
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 05:14 AM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: California
Posts: 103

Hyhoe - '08 Chevy Tahoe HY2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
That was an average, they explain in the article, backroads, never above 60 mph, no a/c, ect.


I just took some back roads last week and hit 48.5MPG with the 6.0L gas engine off using EV mode most of the way. had to keep it at 29MPH though



the round trip was 28.9MPG avg WORLD record for v8 6.0L engine...
160Miles Round trip
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 08:07 AM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Missoula, MT
Posts: 1,788

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touareg TDI Sport AWD
Thanks: 126
Thanked 642 Times in 437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneajanderson View Post
How much is your registration and insurance? I pay like $50 for registration and $250 for insurance for a year. I've saved that much gas over my f150 in a couple months of driving my geo
More like $500 total a year for me, you sure you only pay $125 for a 6 month insurance policy? We shopped like 8 companies and even with it being a 3rf car is added over $30/month just liability but we do get triple the required coverage because the lower limits wont be covering much in today's world. It all adds up to the ability to drive the Suburban 7.5 miles a day and I live 3.5 miles from work and don't work every single day. That doesn't even count how much gas and maintenance the Subaru used.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:16 AM   #20 (permalink)
Redneck Ecomodder
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 412

Dent-Mobile - '99 Buick Lesabre
90 day: 22.68 mpg (US)

Red Rocket - '92 Geo Metro Base
Thanks: 9
Thanked 77 Times in 62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
More like $500 total a year for me, you sure you only pay $125 for a 6 month insurance policy? We shopped like 8 companies and even with it being a 3rf car is added over $30/month just liability but we do get triple the required coverage because the lower limits wont be covering much in today's world. It all adds up to the ability to drive the Suburban 7.5 miles a day and I live 3.5 miles from work and don't work every single day. That doesn't even count how much gas and maintenance the Subaru used.
My total insurance bill for the year for three vehicles is just over $750, and they all cost equal winfe it's all liability.

Full coverage is another $300/year/car

__________________
  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com