Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2015, 05:29 PM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
I was a Michelin fanatic from 1965 until they denied my father in law a warranty claim with 90% of the tread left on his Michelins and it seems like Michelins dry rot faster that they did on my aunts Cadillac that lasted 13 years and 70k miles after the OE tires were bald at 6k miles (typical of bias plies 50 years ago).

Her Cadillac was garage kept and his Maxima was not and I think that is a huge factor.

Rode a 1971 Honda CB350 on the original tires when they were 40 years old, but the bike was garage kept since purchased new. Flat for 28 years, dry rotted in the tread and sidewalls. Just for 200 miles and never over 40 mph to see if the oil was going to run out of the tailpipe which meant the difference between scrapping the bike and resurrecting it. No oil consumption on the oil change that was 28 years old in the same 200 miles, so I put new tires on it rode it for a couple years and sold it for $2500, 10 times what I paid for it. Never replaced a single 40 year old light bulb in that bike.

The original tires on my GZ250 (Metzler) are NOT dry rotted and they were made early 2004. They hold air better than brand new tires and tubes on my 1965 Honda 50, so good I might try to get away with reusing the tubes when I swap the tires.

The $37.50 Douglas tires on the Sentra are doing great, looks like 1/32 wear in 8500 miles and they ride fine until I start smoking them in a turn, then they let me know they don't like it.

regards
mech

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread