Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2011, 11:03 AM   #11 (permalink)
Burning oil to move air.

ausiasmobil - '06 Seat Leon 1.9 TDI Reference
90 day: 40.22 mpg (US)

EcoTxec - '99 Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI 110 cv Laurin & Klement
90 day: 52.85 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
The federalization rules prevent manufacturers form selling every engine option. Each engine/transmission/body combination has to be emissions tested, FE tested and have 4 separate crash tests done.

What can I say, we're suckers for cheap horsepower. I can drive off a dealer lot with a new 300hp mustang for $22k. Fuel economy be damned, I want to have some fun. You guys want to suffer in some 1.0 punishment box? Go right ahead. Every time they jack up the fuel taxes in Europe and average consumption drops, the more cheap fuel I can buy here. Isn't globalization great? So thank you. Tonight I'll do a smokey burnout in honor of your sacrifice.

Diesel fuel costs 10% more than gasoline in most of the US. Diesel cars account for less than 1% of total US sales. The only truly popular diesel engine is the Jetta wagon at 80% and that only because the standard 2.5 engine is crap. Theres plenty of gasoline and hybrid competitors that make that TDI looks pathetic.

Not nearly enough to sustain the brand. The only reason it even made it to the US was to help GM meet its CAFE requirements. Most were sold at a deep discount.

Nobody buys a truck because they 'need' it. Its a toy. Good luck convincing Americans to give up pickups and SUVs.

Again, good luck convincing Americans to switch. Besides everybody knows autos are more efficient than manuals these days.

This just sounds like a rant. Have you had your fiber this morning?
I'm not giving up AC. 75f and my AC is ON full blast. I don't care how much gas it uses, I don't want to sweat in my car.
I'm very happy of your antihero role. Good work on doing your explanations. I'm not sarcastic, you focused in main issues.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread