Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2015, 12:02 AM   #61 (permalink)
Alternative Fuels Addict

Bingo!!! That plus the 5-speed overdrive is key! Did you ever drive without the turbo? Would it still pull worth a flip? My E-350 is a cube van but I won't be hauling lots of load. It's just that it will be a big shoebox being pushed through the air!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-15-2015, 12:08 AM   #62 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

R2 - '13 Chevy Volt
Team Volt
90 day: 20764 mpg (US)
I drove my '86 without a turbo. Still had good bottom end torque, but flattened out quickly. Never would have pulled the trailer loaded up (scaled it at 13K +).
Old 07-17-2015, 11:58 AM   #63 (permalink)
EcoModding 92 Civic

Body panel style may improve mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
*The corporate guys do the load reduction first,with say,all synthetics,LRR tires,and aero,then try and match the gearing to get the engine to it's sweet-spot as far as BSFC goes.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
*For all tires sold in the state of California,the law requires that coefficients of rolling force be provided to the consumer.If when you shop for replacement rubber,you should be able to get this info.
*You may already have all-synthetic lubes in the van.
*Aero drag reduction would provide the greatest savings on the HWY.Around town it wouldn't mean diddly-squat.You'll have to consider your needs 'n see what might fit in.NASA got to Cd 0.238 and had still left some fruit on the tree.
*Weight reduction is kinda meaningless in all-highway operation.Adding a half-ton to my CRX only cost me 2 mpg.Around town,weight savings WOULD mean $ savings.

If you can find "golf ball style" body panels with built-in dimples (or create them yourself out of clay), that will increase mpg 30-60%. Because the dimples reduce air drag(on golf balls & respectively on vehicles), this creates significant mpg improvements. Combining this with carbon-fiber panels will also decrease weight & further mpg gains.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:11 PM   #64 (permalink)
EcoModding 92 Civic

Before getting a different axle ratio, try changing tire sizes & recalibrating the odometer. You'll be able to quickly tell if a different axle ratio will increase or decrease efficiency.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:17 PM   #65 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Golf balls are small rotating bluff bodies without ground effects and dimples make them go at least 30-60% further with the same energies...

Reply  Post New Thread