Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2012, 02:15 PM   #41 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '07 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 2wd, short bed
Team Cummins
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECONORAM View Post
After re-reading this entire thread, I was going to ask what your typical driving speeds were, but as I went through I see you aren't necessarily trying to hit/maintain the speed limit. That was a foreign concept to me until now. Do you aim for a certain speed for 6th gear? I ask because I can get just over 20mpg in 4th, but I can lately hit over 30mpg in 5th at 40-45mph...
My average speeds (based on odometer/key-on time) usually works out to usually be a little under 30 mph. That souds crazy low, but it's not quite as slow as it seems. If I put my commute into Google Maps, it says a "normal" person would drive the route at an average of just under 40 mph. Over half of it is in town, and the rest of it is on rural, lightly-travelled 4 lane divided non-interstate highway. Out on the highway, usually P&G up to a top speed of 50 mph. My bottom speed depends on traffic. If no one is around, I go down to 30 mph or so, but if other drivers are around I may only go down to 40 or so.

Quote:
A daily fuel log? Interesting concept. Makes me wonder if I can push my commute past 30mpg. May require me rearranging my daily drive to avoid morning rush hour.
A daily fuel log can do wonders if you travel a regular route. I gives you something to shoot for every day. Also, you'll start to pick up on things (good & bad) that you do that make an impact. I saw something like a 40% increase in the first 40 days I kept a daily log. There's a lot to be gained from adjusting that nut behind the wheel.

Quote:
I also did some Google searching and learned I can leave my block heater plugged in for extended periods. Thought I'd risk cooking something, so I've almost never had it plugged in more than 20 minutes... Gotta thank MetroMPG for posting stats on temp rise: Experiment: how long should a block heater be plugged in? - MetroMPG.com .
Yes, I often leave mine plugged in for hours. At least for me, the engine reaches a point where it looses enough heat natuarally to match the heat input from the heater, and then it stops getting warmer. Operating temps are normally sround 200 deg or so. I could leave my block heater plugged in forever, and wouldn't get the temp much over 140 deg F or so (depending on outside temp).

Quote:
DD, ever look at a filtermag? I don't think it does anything for FE, but it does trap ferrous debris in the oil filter... www.filtermag.com
I've never heard of them, but I'm not sure what advantage it has over a normal magnetic drain plug.

My version of energy storage is called "momentum".
My version of regenerative braking is called "bump starting".

1 Year Avg (Every Mile Traveled) = 47.8 mpg

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html

The Following User Says Thank You to Diesel_Dave For This Useful Post:
ECONORAM (12-26-2012)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-25-2012, 09:01 PM   #42 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
You Know You're an Ecomodder if . . . . you'd ask DD to film his drive to/from work to note speed, rpm, shifts (not just when, but how) against road "signals" and post it to Youtube. And link it here.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:02 PM   #43 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
You Know You're an Ecomodder if . . . . you'd ask DD to film his drive to/from work to note speed, rpm, shifts (not just when, but how) against road "signals" and post it to Youtube. And link it here.
I'd like to at some point, however, I don't even have a video camera. I'm a bit primitive when it comes to all the latest gadgets--my phone doesn't even send or receive pics or video.

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html

Old 12-26-2012, 01:19 PM   #44 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Pick your posion, I got a tracfone or virgin mobile that I can send your way.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:11 PM   #45 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Dave View Post
I'd like to at some point, however, I don't even have a video camera. I'm a bit primitive when it comes to all the latest gadgets--my phone doesn't even send or receive pics or video.
The expense of a smartphone is off-putting, to say the least.

But I hope you take it as the compliment it was intended to be . . that was more it's intent than as a request.

The Following User Says Thank You to slowmover For This Useful Post:
Diesel_Dave (12-30-2012)
Old 12-30-2012, 03:27 PM   #46 (permalink)
halos.com

ECONORAM - '07 Dodge RAM 1500 QC SLT flex-fuel
90 day: 18.16 mpg (US)

the Avenger - '08 Dodge Avenger SXT
90 day: 27.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via Yahoo to ECONORAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Dave View Post
I honestly do not think that's such a bad way to proceed. I've been tempted on several occasions to get a dumb phone again and use my smartphone as ...basically a super ipod, and use wifi spots as I find them for Internet. I have a Treo 680 or an AT&T Tilt/8925 that could also fill your techno gap.

Sorry about the squirrel (see the movie Up!). Now back on topic.

Understand on the average speeds. My typical morning commute avg is probably less than 30mph, but only because I sit in a mobile parking lot for about 20 minutes of the trip.

Curious if you have trouble crawling under the truck since you dropped it four inches? I can barely squeeze under mine on a creeper, and it's factory. Might have to fab some 2x12 ramps to roll up on for truck work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover
If I had a stick shift, I might have actually asked!
Old 12-30-2012, 03:54 PM   #47 (permalink)
EcoModding Smurfer

Dime - '95 Chevy S10 LS ExtCab RWD
Pickups
90 day: 18.23 mpg (US)

G/A - '96 Pontiac Grand Am
Team Pontiac
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)
Not to ruin a thread about a very impressive truck, but..

Check your area if Sprint's network is usable. Then, get Virgin Mobile. I use that for $35 a month, and have a Blackberry Torch that is just for WiFi and MP3 player, but makes internet easier due to the physical keyboard. </end derail>

Old 12-30-2012, 08:59 PM   #48 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Cummins
Quote:
Curious if you have trouble crawling under the truck since you dropped it four inches? I can barely squeeze under mine on a creeper, and it's factory. Might have to fab some 2x12 ramps to roll up on for truck work...
Maybe you were referring to someone else, but my ride height is still stock. I have a car jack and a couple of jack stands from Harbor Freight that I use whenever I do work underneath the truck and they work just fine.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:10 PM   #49 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
Not to ruin a thread about a very impressive truck, but..

Check your area if Sprint's network is usable. Then, get Virgin Mobile. I use that for $35 a month, and have a Blackberry Torch that is just for WiFi and MP3 player, but makes internet easier due to the physical keyboard. </end derail>
It's not really even the expense to me that's offputing--although I admit I'm cheap. I guess there's a part of me that doesn't want to be connected to the internet all the time. That being said, I expect I'll probably give in at some point. My phone is currently due for an upgrade, and my wife has been encouraging me to get rid of my "crappy phone".

Old 01-01-2013, 10:30 PM   #50 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Red Baron - '00 Ford F-350 XLT
90 day: 27.99 mpg (US)

Impala Phase Zero - '96 Chevrolet Impala SS
90 day: 21.03 mpg (US)
Maybe we should get together this spring or summer and do a little road trip.

Rubber Conveyor Belt Air Dam
Reply  Post New Thread