Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2012, 07:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

What's the most accurate fuel usage gauge?

Hi.. I'm new to this forum... I drive a '98 Lexus LS400 and my project for the next few years is. .. ... .... .....
> "To achieve the most possible HP with the least amount of fuel used"
> so my question is how instantaneous and accurate are the SG2 and UG ?
> And if used primarily to calculate fuel usage... even to notice changes in tire pressures, different air intakes, electric water pumps etc.... would they be accurate enough to detect these changes ?
> thank you dearly ...

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-23-2012, 07:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastegg View Post
Hi.. I'm new to this forum... I drive a '98 Lexus LS400 and my project for the next few years is. .. ... .... .....
> "To achieve the most possible HP with the least amount of fuel used"
> so my question is how instantaneous and accurate are the SG2 and UG ?
> And if used primarily to calculate fuel usage... even to notice changes in tire pressures, different air intakes, electric water pumps etc.... would they be accurate enough to detect these changes ?
> thank you dearly ...
I'm sure most here will say it's the MPGuino. After that, good calibration of an Ultra Gauge or Scan Gauge should yield about the same results. But I don't think they'll detect very small changes in the factors you mention. UG takes a sample every second, I think.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
fastegg (01-25-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 06:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Vehicle Gauge Availability Estimator for '98 Lexus LS400

I just checked the Vehicle Gauge Availability Estimator for the ultra gauge EM..
and my car '98 Lexus LS400 wasn't listed. Do you think there's any chance the UG will work on it ?
Old 01-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
I just checked the Vehicle Gauge Availability Estimator for the ultra gauge EM..
and my car '98 Lexus LS400 wasn't listed. Do you think there's any chance the UG will work on it ?
A 1998 Lexus will certainly be OBD2 and the UG works with them. Check the UG site. I have to think it'll work. Maybe email the company if you can't find an answer. [EDIT: I hope you are reading this thread: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ing-20147.html. They seem to have found a cheaper tool for getting the data the ScanGauge and UG provide, and getting it just as accurately, with at least as much flexibility.]
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Last edited by California98Civic; 01-24-2012 at 11:02 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
fastegg (01-25-2012)
Old 01-25-2012, 07:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

No 'Contact Us' link on the Ultra Gauge web site :(

Jeeez Louise... there's no 'contact us' link on the offical Ultra Gauge web site...
Maybe i'm losing it but i looked everywhere... clicked on everything, nothing...
Anyway, i ordered one, a UG-EM, filled in all the order menu's, payed via paypal
$69+$36 freight.... $104 delivered to my front door..... so if it does everything it claims it can do i will be a happy chappy!!!
Old 01-25-2012, 09:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '07 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 2wd, short bed
Team Cummins
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think there's any difference between the different tools when it comes to accuracy. All the various tools simply report the fuel useage from the ECM. The accuracy or inaccuracy is determined by the ECM's accuracy--not the tool. Now the various tools may have different options for calibration, which may be able to compensate for ECM inaccuracies, but it's the ECM estimate itself that's acually the root of the problem.

At least that's my understanding. I may be wrong.

My version of energy storage is called "momentum".
My version of regenerative braking is called "bump starting".

1 Year Avg (Every Mile Traveled) = 47.8 mpg

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html

Old 01-25-2012, 12:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
Scangauge and Ultragauge should be equally accurate. Be aware that some Toyotas have a glitch where they report 0.01 gph usage even with the engine off. My sister's 2002 has that.

The MPGuino is more accurate because it reads the fuel injector signal directly and bypasses the OBD system.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
Old 01-25-2012, 11:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

MPGuino

Ive sent lots of messages to addresses asking about the MPGuino. Nobody
seems to have one and nobody seems to know where to get one.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
I can address this question because I actually built my own from scratch for my college senior project (electronics engineering).

The MPGuino and similar products measure MPG differently than the ScanGauge and those types of products. The primary difference is that the SG assumes a constant air/fuel ratio that is the ideal ratio for gasoline engines. Then with that info they measure airflow into the cylinders as a way to estimate how much fuel is being used. Then they use distance data to calculate MPG.

With my project and the MPGuino, we use the injector signal and speed sensor to calculate MPG. In fuel injected engines the computer (ECU) tells each injector when and how much fuel to deliever in the form of a pulse. By measuring the duty cycle of this pulse and knowing the size of the injectors (ex. 180cc or 240cc) you can estimate how much fuel is going into the cylinder. Then just add in distance data from the VSS to calculate MPG.

The latter method is a little more accurate because the air/fuel ratio will change slightly in all cars but especially in a lean burn engine (which is why I made mine this way, I drive an HX civic). Even if the air/fuel ratio changes it doesnt effect the calculations. You cannot use a ScanGauge accuratly on an HX because it assumes the perfect air/fuel ratio but on an HX it changes when in lean burn. With the MPGuino and mine, you need to properly calibrate the VSS data by knowing exactly how many pulses per mile your speed sensor uses. This info is readily available for most cars but you can fine tune it using GPS.

Quote:
Ive sent lots of messages to addresses asking about the MPGuino. Nobody
seems to have one and nobody seems to know where to get one.
It seems they are all out of stock on the main websites. I just searched MPGuino on google and found places selling kits and assembled units. Heck maybe if the MPGuino is dead I will start selling mine lol

The Following User Says Thank You to cbaber For This Useful Post:
benphyr (02-29-2012)
Old 02-15-2012, 01:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaber View Post
Heck maybe if the MPGuino is dead I will start selling mine lol
...ecomodder forum, the "grass-roots-home" of automotive entrepreneurship!

Reply  Post New Thread