Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2009, 02:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Got an aerodynamics book :)

I went into a large bookstore yesterday to kill some time and I found a relatively new book (2000) on aerodynamics. It's (translated) title is "Basic Aerodynamics of Vehicles" and it's written by Janusz Piechna of the Warsaw Polytechnical University. I looked through it and WOW!!, everything I've always wanted to know, but was afraid to look for Hucho. I've never seen Hutcho's book, but I've heard alot about it (on this site, imagine that), and this looks pretty similar. Plus, this book costs the equivalent of 10EUR (US$14), so that's a deal if I ever saw one!

Now I have a new weapon against anyone who is sceptical about my car's mods ("Read this 400-page brick and then we can continue our discussion")
:evil smirk:

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread

Last edited by Piwoslaw; 09-24-2009 at 03:53 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Piwoslaw For This Useful Post:
aerohead (11-15-2021), SwamiSalami (08-04-2011)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-24-2009, 05:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

De Yaris - '04 toyota yaris T2
90 day: 69.55 mpg (US)
Good find! Any nuggets of wisdom from it? Is there an ISBN for it?

ollie

Ah, it's ok, i found it i think: http://wysylkowa.pl/ks749764.html

I doubt there is an english version....
Old 09-24-2009, 06:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtec-e View Post
Good find! Any nuggets of wisdom from it? Is there an ISBN for it?

ollie

Ah, it's ok, i found it i think: Podstawy aerodynamiki pojazdów - Janusz Piechna - atrakcyjna cena, opis książki, recenzje i opinie - Wysylkowa.pl

I doubt there is an english version....
You found it even cheaper than I did. I also think it's only in Polish, but "each picture is worth a thound words", and there are LOTS of pictures.

BTW, ISBN: 83-206-1366-3

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

The Following User Says Thank You to Piwoslaw For This Useful Post:
aerohead (11-15-2021)
Old 01-20-2011, 01:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

I've scanned a few drawings from Piechna's book and put them in my gallery:
Aero drawings

Last edited by Piwoslaw; 01-20-2011 at 01:53 PM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Piwoslaw For This Useful Post:
aerohead (11-15-2021), Arragonis (01-21-2011), Cd (01-20-2011), SwamiSalami (08-04-2011)
Old 01-20-2011, 07:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
Every time I enter a book store, I instinctively look for books like this one.
Thanks for sharing Piwoslaw.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
The PRC.

This stuff looks impressive. Unfortunately book stores (even 2nd hand) here are rare as everyone just buys from the interweb nowadays. Its a shame because a good mooch in a book shop was always fun - you never knew what you could find.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
in tents

The Adventure Wagon - '94 Subaru Loyale Wagon 4x4
Subaru
90 day: 33.43 mpg (US)

Electro-Monkey - '11 Surly Karate Monkey BMC V2S Front Hub Motor
90 day: 694.1 mpg (US)
Thanks for scanning those pages!

I'm surprised by this image. Diffusers won't help station wagons?
Old 01-23-2011, 03:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennyt View Post
I'm surprised by this image. Diffusers won't help station wagons?
I believe the answer is in the following diagrams:

It's all about eddies. In all cars there are eddies behind the rear wheels, but in a sloped-back car there also counter-rotating eddies from the rear pillars. The two (partially) cancel out - by increasing the diffuser angle (up to a point) the lower eddies are increased in size to be a better match for the upper eddies (allowing better cancellation). See figures Ba and E in the second diagram.

In a square-backed vehicle there are no upper eddies, only lower. By increasing the diffuser angle these are increased in size, but do not cancel with anything. Figure C in second diagram.

Looking at figure D makes me wonder about adding vertical fins to the sides of a square-back's diffuser. On the other hand, adding a Kammback would probably be a better idea.

aerohead (11-15-2021)
Old 01-24-2011, 05:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
eddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
I believe the answer is in the following diagrams:

It's all about eddies. In all cars there are eddies behind the rear wheels, but in a sloped-back car there also counter-rotating eddies from the rear pillars. The two (partially) cancel out - by increasing the diffuser angle (up to a point) the lower eddies are increased in size to be a better match for the upper eddies (allowing better cancellation). See figures Ba and E in the second diagram.

In a square-backed vehicle there are no upper eddies, only lower. By increasing the diffuser angle these are increased in size, but do not cancel with anything. Figure C in second diagram.

Looking at figure D makes me wonder about adding vertical fins to the sides of a square-back's diffuser. On the other hand, adding a Kammback would probably be a better idea.
I think the distinction needs to made between eddy flow ( turbulence ) and 'attached vorticity'.
Whenever the flow separates from an automobiles body,that region will be one of turbulence,or,random eddy flow.Once the air spins up into an eddy we've lost any chance of recovering the kinetic energy of rotation back into static pressure.The loss of pressure is by definition pressure drag,the major component of form drag,and the pressure of the entire wake will be that of the point of separation.This is why the tail is so important to us.The tail can completely prevent separation hence,pressure drag.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Attached-vorticity is a different animal.
The front of a vehicle defines how the atmosphere will be distributed as it passes the vehicles body.
In order to comply with conservation of mass,the windshield and roof cause the air to move at a greater velocity than down the sides of a vehicle,or underneath,due to the greater distance traveled by the air in the same time.
To comply with Daniel Bournouli's (sp?) Theorem,this accelerated flow must exist at a lower pressure than elsewhere around the vehicles body.
If the body designer is competent,the roof curvature,tumblehome, and upper radius of the greenhouse/C-pillar region will be such that when the flow off the roof rejoins the slower flow off the sides,these flows are at comparable velocity and pressure,the they simply continue on in a laminar flow fashion.
If the flows should meet beyond a critical velocity or pressure differential ( delta-V/delta-P) the slower,higher pressure flow will seek out the faster,lower pressure flow,and the two streams will spin up into a vortex as they attempt to blend together.
The vacuum created at the center of the vortex creates tremendous drag,and the kinetic energy required to feed the vortex robs precious kinetic energy from the flow,which,again,can never be converted to useful static pressure,hence the high drag and lower mpg.
If you've ever had a window seat on an airliner you may have seen wingtip vortices form during landing,caused when the higher pressure air below the wing is bleeding over the wingtip into the lower pressure air above,spinning it into a vortex.The pressure drop is extreme enough to create the refrigeration effect which brings the temperature of the water vapor in the airstream below dew-point,creating the clearly visible water fog condensing at the center.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The three different body styles presented in the book emphasize the aerodynamic peculiarities of each 'style.' The models are simplistic but do point to a large body of research in this area which have attempted to isolate these differences.
It's best to deal with every vehicle on a strictly case-specific basis but much is gained by recognizing and honoring the limitations illustrated in the book.
Up to recently,this is where the value of a good, large scale wind tunnel came in.Now we have CFD which can predict complex aft-body
'solutions' in 3-D flow.Short of both of those tools,the books are invaluable.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
With respect to the diffuser and vertical plates,the diffuser won't work without a really good full bellypan ahead of it.So that's the first challenge.If that's behind us,then the sides of the diffuser should be out to the extremity of the body,following it up at it projects rearward.The departure angle will interfere with 'pure' aerodynamics,so there might be need of 'something' back there to help compensate.
Tuft-testing? Videos?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
Piwoslaw (01-25-2011), Sven7 (12-11-2011)
Old 01-25-2011, 05:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Thank you for explaining this

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
Whenever the flow separates from an automobiles body,that region will be one of turbulence,or,random eddy flow.
Does this statement imply that the amount of drag at the rear of the vehicle is proportional to the circumference of the area where flow detaches, and not its surface area? I mean, the way I understand it is that drag forms along the 1-dimensional line along which airflow detaches and forms eddies, while the interior of that area is not in contact with the airflow so it does not directly play a part in drag. This would mean that the vectors of the force that is trying to slow the vehicle down are all based along the perimeter of where wake turbulance begins, not in the interior.

aerohead (11-15-2021)
Reply  Post New Thread