Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2014, 05:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
I have a massive headache, and am not in the mood to read, but are you sure you have the D15Z1 engine? The MPG your getting looks like a non- V-Tech-E engine MPG. Also tire pressure has a big impact, go 45-50 PSI. My RE92's are rated for 44PSI sidewall and I run them at 55PSI cold.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-15-2014, 12:56 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Pearl - '92 Honda Civic VX
Hi. Thankfully confirmed the engine d15z1 at least.
Previous mpgs were in the mid to high 40's (High speed cross country and around town) This with tires set to the manual's psi. (35f, 33r)
I would love to inflate them 40 sidewall max if you think they'll still provide winter traction.
Trouble shooting-wise, better to wait until we figure out why mpgs are suddenly down.
Hope your headache is better. Thanks for helping...
Old 12-15-2014, 02:00 AM   #13 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
If you are spilling fuel, then you might just listen to the gas level rising in the filler neck and shut it off when it gets to the top.
I always try to listen for when the fuel starts coming up the neck so I can beat the auto shut-off but it is very difficult to do anymore because of the constant buzz of activity or the station has the outside radio cranked way up or there is an open-exhaust ****tard blasting by.

The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Lee For This Useful Post:
Lovemy92vx (12-15-2014)
Old 12-15-2014, 08:10 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemy92vx View Post
Thanks folks. I drove 232 miles (100 mi with my cleaned fuel injectors) and my replaced thermostat. My mpg actually went down to 37.
I refueled today, topped of the tank while positioned on the board as shown. Hope i burped her gas tank okay. I will do this again next fill up to make sure i get it right.
I used and have been using 85 octane and was getting in the mid to upper 40's before we started doing maintenance!
In the meantime, i raised the front tire to 38 (the cheap Falken Sincera rated at 40 psi) and the rear to 35-36.
I am now wondering about what else might be wrong.
Tune up, new fuel filter, well functioning injectors...
Could the engine cleaners be kicking up crud causing some other issue?
I've been reading about PCV catch cans, o2 sensors, MAP sensors, sticking EGR, air filters, fuel pressure regulator...i am trying to learn be researching others threads before I reach out so I dont waste Too much if your time.
i am trying to communicate w my trusted mechanic who is new to the potential of the VX, but is willing to listen and learn.
Understand, the first time you use the board it will give you a more complete fill and that will mean you will show lower mileage, but only for that single fill. Next fills should show you more realistic and consistent mileage.

regards
mech
The Following User Says Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
Lovemy92vx (12-15-2014)
Old 12-15-2014, 08:30 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Excellent note. Waiting between fuel ups tests while trouble shooting tests my patience. Should I let it get at least 1/3 down by the indicator or is it better to wait until I can do a more complete fill?
Old 12-15-2014, 10:04 AM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

2 x wrecked vx - '92 Honda Civic Vx
Team Honda
90 day: 62 mpg (US)
Did you consider getting a Mpguino ? I consider it invaluable to see the difference that leanburn, speed, tires, inflation pressures,gearing,wind,temps, driving techniques makes. Once you have it calibrated you don' t need to wait for a fill up .

Last edited by turbothrush; 12-15-2014 at 11:57 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to turbothrush For This Useful Post:
Lovemy92vx (12-15-2014)
Old 12-15-2014, 11:16 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemy92vx View Post
Excellent note. Waiting between fuel ups tests while trouble shooting tests my patience. Should I let it get at least 1/3 down by the indicator or is it better to wait until I can do a more complete fill?
I'd go at least 200 miles but it really makes little difference in the long term.

regards
mech
The Following User Says Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
Lovemy92vx (12-15-2014)
Old 12-15-2014, 01:44 PM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Turtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbothrush View Post
Did you consider getting a Mpguino ? I consider it invaluable to see the difference that leanburn, speed, tires, inflation pressures,gearing,wind,temps, driving techniques makes. Once you have it calibrated you don' t need to wait for a fill up .
Please YES, but thats on my wish list and Im not sure how to install it or whom to ask. I would need patience(right &#128522 & guidance.
I was happy w the 40's but am trying to figure out the drop into the 30's.
So many variables, so many miles to go.
Old 12-15-2014, 01:55 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Found a perfect pump at my mechanic garage! (and price if i use 85 which most folk say is fine.) having no idea if this happened in the past should that charcoal thing be checked?

Last edited by Lovemy92vx; 12-15-2014 at 09:18 PM.. Reason: Deleted repair manual Question
Old 12-19-2014, 12:24 AM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Here's the update on my VX Pearl (as in Tahitian Green):-):
She suddenly and silently stopped working a block and a half away from home. I have video of the flatbed action.
So. I now have a new distributor igniter, ignition coil and the replacement cap is coming.
I am happy to give this car what it needs to thrive not just survive. That said. I am Not cash rich. I Need to save for a timing belt/water pump install.
In the meantime and for future reference, What is the cheapest but best way to purchase oem parts? Is there a reliable online dealer? Local dealer?
I expect to see mpg improvement soon!
I Promise to inflate my max 40 psi tires to 40 or higher :-)
Need to ensure air filter and trans fluid is okay.
My mechanic thought he heard slight tapping when he test drove it and wants to adjust the valves. (So many parts i hope i quoted the right one) ?
The questions:
What about installing an oil catch can and the three area Seafoam treatment Ive read about? If we are running the Bgs cleaners, could we be kicking up gunk?
Should I have him check cam timing?
Last for now:
Anyone in Colorado who'd help me install an Mpguino? :-)
Happy travels.

Reply  Post New Thread