Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2019, 05:41 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 289

Jeep - '97 Jeep Cherokee Sport
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Thanks: 76
Thanked 48 Times in 46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneajanderson View Post
I know cat delete is illegal, I don't drive like a moron, and there's no emissions testing in my state, so I'm not worried about getting checked, and I'm not a tree hugger that thinks CO2 is going to destroy the world.

That said, I may buy a throttle body, I found aftermarket ones, and I doubt I can get mine machined for what they cost.
It's not about CO2. It is about keeping NOx emissions down. NOx emissions causes a lot of adverse health conditions in the body. I like to breathe clean air so please leave your cat on.


Last edited by Taylor95; 04-05-2019 at 05:49 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 04-05-2019, 06:17 PM   #22 (permalink)
Redneck Ecomodder
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 436

Dent-Mobile - '99 Buick Lesabre
90 day: 22.68 mpg (US)

Red Rocket - '92 Geo Metro Base
Thanks: 11
Thanked 89 Times in 70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor95 View Post
It's not about CO2. It is about keeping NOx emissions down. NOx emissions causes a lot of adverse health conditions in the body. I like to breathe clean air so please leave your cat on.
NOx is dealt with by EGR, cat is only to burn unused fuel and CO, neither of which are necessary.
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 06:02 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 289

Jeep - '97 Jeep Cherokee Sport
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Thanks: 76
Thanked 48 Times in 46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneajanderson View Post
NOx is dealt with by EGR, cat is only to burn unused fuel and CO, neither of which are necessary.
The EGR may reduce NOx, but it does not prevent the formation of it together. Cats are necessary for NOx, CO, and unburned hydrocarbons. All of which have negative impacts on health.

Technology Details | MECA

Even if you do gain a minimal amount by removing the cat, it will come at a greater cost to the environment and human health. If your cat is clogged there is a thread on here on restoring it. It sounds like it is cheap.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 08:38 PM   #24 (permalink)
Redneck Ecomodder
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 436

Dent-Mobile - '99 Buick Lesabre
90 day: 22.68 mpg (US)

Red Rocket - '92 Geo Metro Base
Thanks: 11
Thanked 89 Times in 70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor95 View Post
The EGR may reduce NOx, but it does not prevent the formation of it together. Cats are necessary for NOx, CO, and unburned hydrocarbons. All of which have negative impacts on health.

Technology Details | MECA

Even if you do gain a minimal amount by removing the cat, it will come at a greater cost to the environment and human health. If your cat is clogged there is a thread on here on restoring it. It sounds like it is cheap.
The tiny bit of driving I do will contribute nearly zero to the pollution. Also unburned fuel, CO and NOx all readily break down in oxygen, and I live in Podunkistan. If I lived in a city with NOx smog issues my Outlook would be different, but frankly it isn't an issue in ND

__________________
  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com