Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2011, 08:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Regency - '94 Chevrolet S10 LS
90 day: 29.2 mpg (US)
94 s10 2.2l

Well i got started with everything and starting to change driving styles, i can say just coasting for speed limit changes and down hills helped tremendous!!!!

Went from 29.2 to 30.39 with just coasting and limiting my speeds to 5mph over limit and at 75 going 75 instead of 78.

This week or by the weekend i am getting a few sheets of coroplast to make my blocks and skid plate. Im hoping to see a 4 - 5 % gain

Ohh and how long do i have to be here to have the ability to post pics???

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-29-2011, 12:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Went to get some Black coroplast and they were out so they just ordered some. The bad thing is it wont be here in time for me to get it cut and put on, so i guess for the next thing to try is changing my route to work. I can reroute a 9 mile stretch of Interstate to a 9 mile stretch of back road. The best part is its exact same miles but posted speeds are 55 instead of 75, most likely i will be running 60. I can only imagine how much thats going to help!!
Old 09-29-2011, 06:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Heres some pics of what im working with!

Only things changed since these pics is new tires and cleaned up the wheels. Ohh and put in some E-code headlights with HIDs
Old 09-29-2011, 07:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Nice! If it's a backroad try running 50mph instead. It'll only cost you a minute or two during the commute and it'll save lots more gas. Remember, aero drag increases exponentially with speed! Also, some aero wheel covers would really help, as your wheels now are pretty deep dish.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Made a template for the grill block, and in the pics you can see the hole in the bumper to valance is nothing but drag!!! Im going tomorrow to see if i can find a bumper to cut up and fix this

Old 09-29-2011, 08:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Why not just tape over it?
Old 09-29-2011, 09:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Looks like you have an excellent start. Already getting nearly 32% above the EPA combined number, and you just got started.

Rear wheel skirts look like a likely possibility. I plan to make mine go down just till they come close to the tire, not extending into lower part of the opening. That way I won't be bulging the lower skirt out to clear the tire. If you also do flat wheel covers the combination should help you.

I read that a one foot wide board across the back of the bed, by the tailgate, is just about a definite mpg improvement for a pickup. I won't drag you through the aerodynamics theory (OMG - very bad pun!!) - sooner or later you can start reading in the Aerodynamics subforum and you can learn all about it. But planting a board or two across the back of the bed should be pretty easy. If it doesn't help, just take 'em out again.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Aero Deshi

MagMetalCivic - '04 Honda Civic Sedan EX
Last 3: 34.25 mpg (US)
If yer going to block the grill, you need to start at the top and work down, start from the sides and work to the middle. You'd fer sure want to block the top hole on you grill there instead of the bottom one. You want to force the air over the top and around the sides as much as possible. Consider buying a piece of OSB and covering the back half your bed, cheap 5% gain in FE.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

i had thought about just taping it but i couldnt put up with the looks of it, i can hardly deal with the beat up white bumper.

Im not sure i want to get as fas as wheel skirts at this moment. But i know they help alot and i need some different wheels to run covers on them.

Ok i can make another template for the top today, thats no problem. I just though since the bottom hole was larger that it needed to be handled first. And for the bed cover, i have TWO 4'x8' sheets of coroplast on order in Black to use for that and making a skid plate up front and grill blocks.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

ChazInMT - you mentioned starting from the edges and working my way in to the middle for air flow smoothness, well i went to the local junk yard and happened to find a set of Blazer composite headlights!!! That should help alot with drag also.....