Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2008, 07:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Did you get that thing?

Green Machine - '92 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 39.98 mpg (US)

Money pit - '97 Infiniti j30
90 day: 22.74 mpg (US)
Turbo VX?

I'm just going to run this by you fellas and see what kind of feedback I get.

I have the VX engine and trans going in my LX (when I get some free time) and I was thinking that if I put a turbo on it that would engage at the same RPM as the vtec (find the right one) then I could effectively have a car that would get 50MPG when I stay under 2k and be fun to drive when I want to take it to the strip.. now here's how I think I could make it work. Last summer I put a turbo kit on a friends integra that actually had a plate that went inbetween the throttle body and the intake manifold that had 2 injectors in it, they only sprayed when you got into the boost, so when you drive normally, no extra fuel is used. The other thing I'm hoping is that I can run regular gas when I drive normally, and when I drive it at the track, I can run premium and have no issues.. This is all depending on the d15z1's compression ratio though, anyone know what is is off the top of their heads? and what are your thoughts on this.. see any flaws other than the possible compression ratio issue?

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-29-2008, 06:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Red Egg - '95 Ford Aspire
90 day: 38.51 mpg (US)

Dodge SRT-4 - '04 Dodge Neon SRT-4 2.4L Turbo
90 day: 26.24 mpg (US)
i hope you have a good source for multiple vx drivetrains
Old 07-29-2008, 09:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Boxhead

Boxy Brown - '04 Scion xB
90 day: 35.48 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to whokilledthejams
Aftermarket turbos on any NA vehicle are an iffy proposition at best. You'd be better off taking the same money, and getting a 2nd car as a toy.

...that is unless, of course, you <i>enjoy</i> having connecting rods punch holes through your engine block.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
I see not many people have boosted hondas in the past. You'd need to work out the tuning yourself, would be easy if you got rid of lean burn, but very possible.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ecoformance Engineer

EJ7 - '96 honda civic Hx
Last 3: 58.02 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whokilledthejams View Post
Aftermarket turbos on any NA vehicle are an iffy proposition at best. You'd be better off taking the same money, and getting a 2nd car as a toy.

...that is unless, of course, you <i>enjoy</i> having connecting rods punch holes through your engine block.

Good tuning is key to a long healthy life on a stock engine. For example there are two civics here that push 200+ hp and 170 tq on bone stock engines, and I mean untouched One engine, d15b, was making about 175hp for 30,000 miles and started to smoke but still ran fine, engine had 215,000 miles total. D16z6's have been know to push over 300 hp pretty reliably. I recommend using Neptune or Hondata for engine mngt and have a good tuner @ hand.

You are going to spend @ least $2500 for a good quality kit installed yourself and tuned professionally. So yeah, its a bit of pocket change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
I see not many people have boosted hondas in the past. You'd need to work out the tuning yourself, would be easy if you got rid of lean burn, but very possible.

Actually leanburn can still be had on a tuned turbo vtec-e engine. It can even be tuned to be more efficient than the factory tune

A coworker of mine is going to install a dual stage vtec d15b this weekend and use Hondata S300 and Locash for tuning. The engine has leanburn, vtec-e, and a normal vtec and can be tuned from top to bottom with the s300.

The head ports and valves are pathetic compared to a d16y5 hx engine but still respond well to forced induction. Imo 175hp is the reliable limit for a d15.

A few companies sell custom rods and piston kits for a d15 that allow much higher boost pressures and people have had 500+hp on them.

70 mpg or die modding

www.full-race.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
looking forward to seeing what kind of uber-sipper slinks out of the full race skunkworks.

Last edited by Vince-HX; 07-29-2008 at 10:59 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread