Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2017, 07:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Lightweight underdrive pulley

I am thinking of getting a lightweight underdrive pulley for my Jeep. Not sure if it’s something that should help mpg or not? Also read it could harm the engine? Any opinions?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-10-2017, 07:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
If you mean an underdrive crank pulley, then yes it could harm the engine if the aftermarket part is missing a needed, integrated harmonic balancer. If it is just an accessory pulley, that should not harm the engine though it would change the performance of whichever component is running on it, such as the AC, alt, or PS pump.

Search this site (upper left corner) because I am sure that this has been discussed here before. So really smart folks shared a variety of opinions.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,387 Times in 3,361 Posts
It won't help MPG in any measurable way, but might slightly improve acceleration if you get a lightweight pulley set and underdrive the accessories.

I probably wouldn't do it again given the option to save the money and effort. The manufacturers would be using them if it made economic sense, or even boosted 0-60 performance in a meaningful way.

If you do a lot of commuting miles, it's probably cheaper to let the Jeep sit most of the time and buy a very cheap/efficient commuter vehicle.

I sold my Jeep because the MPG was terrible along with reliability, and I rarely need the clearance.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 07-10-2017, 09:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Underdrive pulley helps a little bit, but it's more effective as a cheap way to add a few horsepower at high revs. If you want to mess with your power steering, electric power steering or reducing the bypass valve pressure will get better results. Water pump and alternator don't really show significant gains until higher speed, maybe a lightbulb or two worth of power.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Intermediate EcoDriver

Trigger - '07 Ford Mustang V6 Premium Coupe
Team Mustang
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.76 mpg (US)

Big Red (retired) - '89 Ford F-250 4wd Custom
90 day: 18.13 mpg (US)

Big Red II - '13 Ford F-150 FX4
Pickups
90 day: 19.61 mpg (US)
As for MPG increase, it depends on the particular vehicle and operator.
I Installed an underdrive crankshaft pulley/harmonic damper from ASP on my 4.0 liter Mustang in May, 2015. It's a 25% underdrive pulley. ASP made a remarkable effort to keep the damping inertia close to that of the OEM pulley/damper. It's a redesigned product; not just a modified OEM pulley/damper.
The first week after I installed this pulley, I got several alarms from my UltraGauge indicating "pending trouble code". The codes were for misfires - probably due to the lower rotating mass of the new pulley/damper. (It's detected by the crankshaft position sensor.) It hasn't happened since then. I've had no charging or cooling issues, and my butt-ometer feels a bit more power.
Prior to installing this pulley, I had 6 fill-ups over 32 MPG in an 8-year period, but they were all "one in a row". After I installed it, I had 8 consecutive fill-ups over 32 MPG (2 were over 33).
In my case, it gave me an average of about 3% (1 MPG) and I have the fuel log data to prove it. It'll pay for itself in fuel savings in about 200K miles. In the mean time, I've got bragging rights. (32+ MPG commuting with a Ford Mustang)
It worked for me, but, as with any modification, your mileage may vary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguitarguy View Post
Just 'cuz you can't do it, don't mean it can't be done...
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
The presence of traffic is the single most complicating factor of hypermiling. I know what I'm going to do, it's contending with whatever the hell all these other people are going to do that makes things hard.

Last edited by Mustang Dave; 07-13-2017 at 11:46 AM..
Old 07-13-2017, 08:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Nameless - '06 GMC Canyon
90 day: 37.45 mpg (US)

22 Maverick - '22 Ford Maverick XL
90 day: 42.77 mpg (US)
In my particular case, an underdrive pulley would not work well. I already run at low enough RPM that the alternator voltage occasionally drops. Also, when the RPM gets that low, the water pump is not moving enough coolant to keep the engine at even temperature. About 1/3 of my miles are at 1000 RPM or less.

I don't need more power. I get up to speed on a short entrance ramp while shifting at less than 4000 RPM.
06 Canyon: The vacuum gauge plus wheel covers helped increase summer 2015 mileage to 38.5 MPG, while summer 2016 mileage was 38.6 MPG without the wheel covers. Drove 33,021 miles 2016-2018 at 35.00 MPG.

22 Maverick: Summer 2022 burned 62.74 gallons in 3145.1 miles for 50.1 MPG. Winter 2023-2024 - 2416.7 miles, 58.66 gallons for 41 MPG.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
It really depends on if you're buying it for its underdriving abilities or its weight loss. I know for the 3v mustang the Steeda crank pulley is a pound lighter, and the water pump pulley is negligibly heavier, so weight wise pretty meh... But at 25% under drive, they really help NA cars. It will tighten up the over assisted steering, and newer cars produce more than enough amps so it won't effect electronics. We gained 9rwhp on a 265rwhp car and gained maybe .5-1mpg from the 25% UD crank pulley, and the 25% OD water pump pulley.
Also all Ford pulleys are balanced like oem. So if you find you a good udp set for your car that is balanced and underdrives a good bit, ignore the weight loss because it won't do ****.
The same guy who designs the Ford oem pulley also designed the Steeda UDP so apparently oems believe in UDP. They just want you to spend the extra doe $$$.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Intermediate EcoDriver

Team Mustang
Sports Cars

Pickups
I bought it for its underdriving abilities to reduce the parasitic load of the water pump and power steering pump. Weight loss was less than a pound - insignificant. It was just the most expensive part of an ongoing fuel economy experiment that began on July 23, 2007. My focus on this experiment intensified in May, 2009 when I found ecomodder.com. I knew that in a worst-case scenario, the underdrive pulley would not decrease my fuel economy. It gave me a significant increase - more than anticipated.
I didn't buy this pulley for more power - this 4-liter V-6 at 210 HP has plenty of power. I can accelerate to the speed limit on all but the shortest freeway on-ramps without exceeding 2500 RPM. Cruising, I'm always under 2000 RPM. If I'm going less than 50 MPH, my cruise RPM is between 1000 and 1500 RPM. (depending on speed and gear)

Quote:
Quote:
The presence of traffic is the single most complicating factor of hypermiling. I know what I'm going to do, it's contending with whatever the hell all these other people are going to do that makes things hard.
Old 07-15-2017, 04:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Dave View Post
I bought it for its underdriving abilities to reduce the parasitic load of the water pump...
Not to bring things off subject but I've never heard of a udp set that underdrive the water pump. Typically they overdrive the water pump to offset the under driving crank pulley.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:31 AM   #10 (permalink)
Intermediate EcoDriver

Team Mustang
Sports Cars

Pickups
This isn't a "set". It's just a 25% smaller crank pulley to underdrive everything by 25%.
The udp "sets" that I've seen advertised that include a water pump pulley generally contain a larger water pump pulley to underdrive the water pump even more than the other accessories. The water pump and fan (if engine-driven) are the major parasitic consumers of power.
Some udp sets include an overdrive (smaller) alternator pulley to eliminate charging issues. With most modern alternators, that's not an issue.

Quote:
Quote:
Reply  Post New Thread