Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2011, 02:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Fresh Powder - '12 Nissan Versa S
Acceleration technique with a CVT.

So my girlfriend just got a nice new 2012 Versa sedan with a CVT. She loves it, and is currently getting 38.8 mpg average with it (no mods) and that number is still rising. Basically I'm wondering what is the best way to accelerate with a continuously variable transmission? I know with a traditional automatic you want to give it a little more gas to get into a higher more efficient gear sooner (assuming you will actually stay at that speed and gear for a while). Is this effect lost with a CVT because it is always in the optimal ratio for your given situation, or do you still want to get up to your more efficient cruising speed faster? Basically she likes saving so much money with hypermiling, and told me to just tell her whats the best technique and she will do it. What should I tell her?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-30-2011, 01:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
DieselMiser

Das Schlepper Frog - '85 Mercedes Benz 300SD
90 day: 23.23 mpg (US)

Gentoo320 - '04 Mercedes C320 4Matic
90 day: 22.44 mpg (US)
Use an engine efficiency map to find the rpm where the car is most efficient and hold the engine rpm there while you accelerate.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
The rule of thumb for most gas engines is to accelerate at about 80% load then apply usual techniques for cruise.

_
_
Old 10-21-2011, 07:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdorion1 View Post
So my girlfriend just got a nice new 2012 Versa sedan with a CVT..... is currently getting 38.8 mpg average with it (no mods) and that number is still rising. Basically I'm wondering what is the best way to accelerate with a continuously variable transmission?
Congratulations to your friend.
My Dodge Caliber CVT(from Nissan owned Jatco & maker of Nissan CVTs), is computer directed to give its best mpg at 2000 rpms, whether accelerating or cruising at 60mph @ 2000 rpms. Most Caliber drivers get much less mpg than I do. I'm sure Nissan can tell you what is the most optimum rpms or style of driving to gain the best mpg for the CVT.
Tho my Caliber is NOT aerodynamic & is heavy, I once had to cross two states averaging much higher than my normal at about 70mph, at one point crossing a mountain pass at 4000 feet. Surprisingly, I still obtained nearly my maximum mpg.

I think by feather footing, your friend can get 40+mpg....even 45mpg. One report, by miles driven & gallons pumped, for the 2012 Versa sedan indicated in excess of 50mpg!

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
cvt, optimal acceleration