Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2009, 07:34 PM   #31 (permalink)
Banned

oldscoob - '87 subaru wagon gl/dr
90 day: 47.06 mpg (US)
I think my car gets diesel'd by accident as well. I have not figured which station...

Does anyone notice in the mixes, a gigantic low end increase? like a diesel?

that is a sign of fuel mixed...of course odor is another one.

if gas sits long enough, does what remains get thicker? towards diesel if allowed?

I'd love a 3 main boxer smacking around to diesel.

380 foot pounds at 200 rpm.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-30-2009, 09:22 PM   #32 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Gasoline will never turn into diesel. Diesel is basically a by-product (in this country) of gasoline production... it works the opposite way in other countries, where people follow the laws of nature. (Gasoline used to be a waste product, that was dumped in holes in the ground, streams, etc.)

Old 11-30-2009, 10:40 PM   #33 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by some_other_dave View Post
I've seen film of someone who filled their 911 with diesel instead of premium unleaded. Truly staggering amounts of smoke were coming out of the tailpipe...

Did anyone else notice the "takes several minutes of idling to warm up" statement? Sitting stationary with the engine running is generally very bad for fuel economy. For shorter trips, I imagine that would eat up all of your fuel savings, and then some.

-soD
Actually, I wrote: ""......when the ambient temperatures were -15 deg. F., ....... Cold starting is OK, although it is necessary to allow the engine to warm a couple minutes before driving away to avoid stalling." Not significantly different from the engine's behavior on straight gasoline when the temperatures are below -10 deg. F. A short period of idling to allow oil film to build and internal heat stresses to dissipate is good practice in extreme cold.

In this instance, there is no smoking. The exhaust appears the same as it does on straight gasoline, no change. The odor is slightly different, just a little odd.... one would be hard pressed to know the change is due to diesel.

Of course, that excessive idling always hurts economy is true. Be moderate, even in moderation.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:36 AM   #34 (permalink)
Just cruisin’ along

Beater Echo - '00 Toyota Echo
90 day: 42.67 mpg (US)

Hondizzle - '97 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.55 mpg (US)

Shaggin Waggin - '14 Chrysler Town + Country
90 day: 22.56 mpg (US)
So, running this on something with a carburetor, how far could I practically go before needing to re-adjust the carb? Keep in mind my car generally shifts at ~1100-1200rpm (yes, 1100, that's no typo), and cruises at ~1600rpm (40mph, my designated commute cruising speed)...

'97 Honda Civic DX Coupe 5MT - dead 2/23
'00 Echo - dead 2/17
'14 Chrysler Town + Country - My DD, for now
'67 Mustang Convertible - gone 1/17
Old 12-03-2009, 01:05 AM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
So, running this on something with a carburetor, how far could I practically go before needing to re-adjust the carb? Keep in mind my car generally shifts at ~1100-1200rpm (yes, 1100, that's no typo), and cruises at ~1600rpm (40mph, my designated commute cruising speed)...
Technically, there is no correct answer. There is going to be a tradeoff of power for economy no matter what percent you use, and there will be differences of opinion on how much is too much.

Ultimately, it's up to you to just try it out and figure out where you're comfortable with your vehicle. There is really no correct answer here.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:01 PM   #36 (permalink)
Banned

This is just a bad idea. I hope nobody pours diesel fuel into their gas tank because of this thread.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:13 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
This is just a bad idea. I hope nobody pours diesel fuel into their gas tank because of this thread.
You have yet to actually make a point, other than posting an article about people who literally filled their cars with the wrong type of fuel, then complained about them running poorly, which is subjective at best.

Old 12-03-2009, 03:37 PM   #38 (permalink)
Banned

I'm sorry but you're advocating something truly dangerous for most people's gasoline fueled engines without any quantifiable evidence that there is something to be gained here. I'm sure you like to make the point that that somebody used too much diesel fuel but how much is really safe in what engine? Do you know? I doubt it. The burden of proof is on the advocates of mixing gasoline and diesel in any proportion to show that:
1. Its safe for any gasoline engine
2. It doesn't negatively impact emissions or damage the emissions control devices
3. It works to improve fuel economy.

So far you've done none of those.
caveat emptor
cheers
Justin
Old 12-03-2009, 04:06 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
I'm sorry but you're advocating something truly dangerous for most people's gasoline fueled engines without any quantifiable evidence that there is something to be gained here. I'm sure you like to make the point that that somebody used too much diesel fuel but how much is really safe in what engine? Do you know? I doubt it. The burden of proof is on the advocates of mixing gasoline and diesel in any proportion to show that:
1. Its safe for any gasoline engine
2. It doesn't negatively impact emissions or damage the emissions control devices
3. It works to improve fuel economy.

So far you've done none of those.
caveat emptor
cheers
Justin
I'm not advocating it at all, only adding my personal experience, having done it myself.

At least this time, you added a meaningful post.

And, by the way, evidence is (and has been) around that shows that gasoline carbureted engines can safely be run on kerosene variants with tuning. Those engines which I've seen and done work with aren't emissions controlled, though.

I did, however, make note that for each combination of engine/operator/fuel mixture, there is no right answer, it's for the operator to figure out on his own. That would be the nature of experimentation, in case you hadn't noticed.

Old 12-03-2009, 04:15 PM   #40 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
At least this time, you added a meaningful post.
You don't need to be insulting just because you think you're right. And yes, you are advocating for it.

You need to clearly specify:
There is NO evidence that there is any FE benefit here
This DOESN'T work on EFI engines which makes up 99% of the vehicles on the road today
It HAS NOT been tested on emissions controlled vehicles.
There are UNKNOWN long term consequences of putting diesel fuel into a gasoline engine in any proportion.

Reply  Post New Thread