Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2010, 12:59 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Bus - '94 Ford School Bus huge

Stupid - '01 Chevy Blazer LS
90 day: 21.38 mpg (US)

hawk - '00 Honda Superhawk
your f150 has dual tanks mounted under the vehicle. It doesnt have them in the truck, and I think we know that the OP wasnt looking to reduce the size of his primary tank, but to enlarge it. I would be going on a limb here, but I believe there is not any room under this car for an additional tank. If he split the size in half, and put two in place, he would have accomplished nothing. once again, "silly" justifications for stupid ideas.

OP, put the tank in so that you dont have to stop for fuel more than once a month.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-02-2010, 11:24 AM   #22 (permalink)
Too many cars

CRXFi - '88 Honda CRX XFi

Insight 256 - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights

Insight 5342 (no IMA) - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 66.3 mpg (US)
If you're going to do this, buy a good quality racing fuel cell which is designed to be in the passenger compartment. You might regret a cheap plastic boat tank in a rear end collision. And I'd really want an external filler neck, you know some gasoline will drip from the nozzle into the trunk.
2006 Honda Insight (parts car)
1988 Honda CRXFi
1994 Geo Metro

Old 05-16-2011, 10:57 PM   #23 (permalink)
live, breath, Isuzu-Ds

puddle jumper - '93 Suzuki sidekick base model

energizer bunny - '86 isuzu trooper base model

Clifford the big red dog - '84 GM S-10 durango
i know this is old but....better then starting a new one.....

ive carred cans of fuel so i can drive thru a state, saving 0.20 or 0.30 a gal.
was pulling a trailer and had the cans back there.

ive figurd if i did it agen id have a tank with one line to the main tank with say a ball valve.
drive 4+ hours stop at a rest area, open the valve, eat, stretch, and keep driving. it would run in to the tank for the 20ish min im there and its ready to go.

no added pump, gage or wiring
1993 sidekick my MPG toy, epa rating 26.
i get 29/31 with stock drive train.
The Following User Says Thank You to trooper Tdiesel For This Useful Post:
larrybuck (06-26-2011)
Old 05-17-2011, 09:36 AM   #24 (permalink)
Cheap SOB

I would buy a jerry can or cans instead.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:25 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I see gas being much more possible trouble than diesel/veggie oil!

I would want it for long distances/values as Bestclimb has well stated.

I had a plastic tank custom built to fit the spare tire depression perfectly in a Vw diesel wagon.

I live in an area of much higher fuel costs. As per Bestclimb; I can fillup both tanks in mid-USA once, and get all the way home!

Spare tire depressions are low, and close to stock tanks, so simple gravity valves to original tank pretty easy; and veh. handling changes are minimum. (my tank holds between 11-12 gallons) Yes, the spare tire is up elsewhere, but for interstate type trips where hrs. per day is a constant fluid motion, the tinch of extra weight is far outweighed by your freedom in being more self contained, paying for fuel where it is a fair price.

In the future; it may be difficult to get any fuel at any price!

That's why I'm high on older simplist diesels. You have MANY options for fuel, some of which you can make yourself!
Old 06-28-2011, 11:37 AM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Protege - '97 Mazda Protege DX
90 day: 46.42 mpg (US)
larrybuck, Where did you get your plastic spare wheel well tank? I'm looking at going the smaller main tank route. My 5 mile commute 4 days a week means filling up the 12 gallon tank every 2 months. So for the first month I'm carring around 35lbs of fuel I won't need for several weeks. So my plan is to get 5-6 gallon spare wheel well tank and remove the main tank. 35lbs of fuel and 10-20 lbs of steel in the 12 gallon tank weight savings for my 22 stop lights in 5 miles.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:59 AM   #27 (permalink)
Making Ecomods a G thing

Angie - '08 Infiniti G35 X
90 day: 22.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoteach View Post
can you go 5 hrs without a break? I start to kill people.
I drove from Racine, Wisconsin to Joplin, Missouri straight through only stopping for food and gas. That was about 12 1/2 hours total.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:14 PM   #28 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...in July 1966, I drove 30 hours straight from Memphis, TN to Yuma, AZ, a distance of ~1,800 miles, stopping only for gasoline and potty stops.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:55 PM   #29 (permalink)

I once drove from central Alaska to New Mexico (near the Mexican border) in about 4, 16 hour days, roughly 4000 miles. Gas-n-go until crashing in a hotel. I'm still sane.

One point for the original poster, I have a 36 gallon tank in my truck. I rarely let it go empty because it's annoying to have to use the credit card twice at the pump. Every gasoline pump I've gone to has a limit, usually $100, then the pump turns off.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
Old 06-28-2011, 11:43 PM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

To busy paws: I had a friend custom build it from scratch. I started w a flat plastic sheet about 1/4" thick; 4X6 feet. He cut out a bottom, top, and 2 or 3 layers of bands height wise, and slowly plastic welded it altogether. It was time consuming, and much ventilation (outside) is needed, as plastic smoke is a little nasty. I'm sorry that I can't remember the exact name of the particular type of plastic I used; but if you explain to the plastic supply store what you are trying to do, they will point you to the right type!

I admittingly, am not super hands on; at $20. per hr., I paid my friend about $200. I started w a weeny powered welder at first; thats what ran into so many hrs.

The stock tank on my VW is plastic; strong, lightweight, will never rust; so I figured a 2nd tank built in same to be good.

So mine is a one off; that I am proud to own even if I didn't make it myself. For precautions, we put a layer of plastic sheeting between the tank and spare depression to prevent any rubbing. He also added a small metal bracket on top of the tank, so a holder could be attached to just the upper side in one place on the edge of the depression. This was to prevent any TWISTING of the tank that might be done in emergency driving. This method does not really have to be any more sophisticated than like the screws used to keep a light globe in position in your home.

I really like the stock depressions for the low center of gravity, a just a natural safety feeling. If you are only going to build a 5-6 gallon one, you could build it low enough to still have a spare halfway in the depression above it if you choose; although especially if this is a gasoline situation for you and not diesel; for obvious reasons, I'd reccomend some kind of padding between.

For possible emergency driving, I think a tank should be near the circumforance of the depression, as opposed to something box like that might need lots of spacers, or other ideas to keep it from sliding around. I suppose something like the battery hold-downs (universal) would do; but it is nice to have something that looks professional.

Again, my app was diesel, so my venting concerns were min., so please keep that in mind for your safety! The color of the sheet I got was white; I thought a good color for keeping heat down.

In my app., I had heated lines running under the car toward the eng. compartment, as I was trying to do Veggie!
I didn't get far enough to figure out a gauge sender or any of that. When my friend finished the tank; before I could even say a word, he WHALED on the tank w a hammer showing me how strong it was!

If you buy a good quality welder, and since you are only looking for 5-6 gallons, whether you choose to try it yourself, or pay another, enough people are looking for work that you could probably find a Mobile Mechanic type guy in your local Craig's List that would be reasonable dollars per hr. wise.

Racing type fuel cells are very expensive I think in comparison. Just be safe, as again I'm mostly concerned about proper venting for a gas app.

To Joenavy85: I think I enjoy driving about the same # of hrs. per day as you do. I do try to break it up a little w basketball shooting, or walking to keep the sitting stiffness down.

To Old Teleman: I surmise that all those miles and hrs. were done when you were a wee bit younger. If I'm VERY comfortable in my alignment posture wise w steering wheel, correct distance of arms out; I love up to 13 hrs. a day at 50-55 mph.
I tried 22 hrs. on a motorcycle when much younger... felt tired enough to feel like I was on drugs or something.. the enjoyment factor is gone at that point for me.

At 30 yrs. old, I could do 800-950 miles per day at 55mph. for 4 days in a row, but now, unless I ride alot to TRAIN my butt, 500 miles is long, and 250-300 at 50-55mph. I enjoy much more. Unless you have the perfect custom seat, or are much shorter, I don't see how these guys did these Ironman 1,000 miles a day back to back to back trips, until I just now realized........... I've been an Ecomodder for yrs., because I never cruised above 55mph.!!!! Those miles would go a lot faster at 80mph., or something, the adrenaline rush, and looking for cops all the time would probably keep them hyped up!

The Following User Says Thank You to larrybuck For This Useful Post:
busypaws (06-29-2011)
Reply  Post New Thread