Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2009, 11:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

SGII Trip computer question

I would like to get a SGII mainly for the trip meter functions. I want to use the average speed function in Time,Speed,Distance rallys.

I have some questions on the average speed function, I don't want to buy one if if won't do what I need it to.

How easy is it to reset? In a rally you will need to be able to quickly reset the average speed many times.

Does it keep computing the average speed when you are stopped? My GPS just quits updating the average speed when you stop, which is no good for rallying.

How fast does it update the average speed? I would like it to update about once a second.

How accurate is it? I would like it to read average speed to the tenth of a mile an hour.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-31-2009, 12:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Bone's 2010 Prius - '10 Toyota Prius Black
90 day: 56.78 mpg (US)
When you say "quickly reset" the trip meter are you talking 2 seconds or within a minute? Also, are you trying to reset the trip meter while moving or is it a rally that has checkpoints where the car is stopped for a short period of time?

The SGII would keep computing the average speed while you are stopped as it is taking all activity into account from the time the car is started until the ignition is shut off.

The SGII updates with about a 1-2 second lag (as I see my real time mpg update about a second or two after I release or press my gas pedal...its pretty quick just not exactly real-time mpg and avg. speed).

Your best bet would be to either find a friend that has a SGII and try it in your car or purchase one to test it before the rally (you can send it back if it doesn't work out for you).
Old 03-31-2009, 12:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Guzzler - '08 Hyundai Elantra GL
90 day: 33.12 mpg (US)

Got Soul? - '11 Kia Soul 2U
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngfg View Post
How easy is it to reset? In a rally you will need to be able to quickly reset the average speed many times.
You just press a single button in the current trip screen, it's that easy.

Quote:
Does it keep computing the average speed when you are stopped? My GPS just quits updating the average speed when you stop, which is no good for rallying.
I believe the time you spend with the wheel not rotating does no count. I can't say for sure though, I'll test it when I get home tonight.

Quote:
How fast does it update the average speed? I would like it to update about once a second.
That's about the speed it updates.

Quote:
How accurate is it? I would like it to read average speed to the tenth of a mile an hour.
The standard average speed gauge is rounded at the mph. However, it is possible to set up a trip xgauge for speed that could average to 2 decimals.

www.HyperKilometreur.com - Quand chaque goutte compte...
Old 04-01-2009, 07:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Guzzler - '08 Hyundai Elantra GL
90 day: 33.12 mpg (US)

Got Soul? - '11 Kia Soul 2U
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngfg View Post
Just verified this last night. Yes it does. As long as the engine is running, your average speed includes time when you're stopped.

www.HyperKilometreur.com - Quand chaque goutte compte...
Old 04-01-2009, 10:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks for the information. It looks like I will order one and try it out.
Another question.
In a rally you are given a odometer check stage. That means to make it fair for everyone, the exact mileage for the first stage is given to you so you can correct your instruments to match the rally masters.
So is there a way, for example, if I find the SGII trip millage is different that the rally masters millage, that I could correct it in the SGII? If so that would be great, otherwise I would just manually correct for it.

Last edited by youngfg; 04-01-2009 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 04-02-2009, 09:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Yes, it has a correction adjustment for speed/distance. It's on pg. 17 of the manual. Follow Menu > More > Setup > Speed.
You can increase/decrease the speed/distance in 1 % increments.

I haven't had a need to adjust this correction (I don't do rallys).

Apparently it reads out current speed while you adjust the correction so if you have a GPS running along side, you can get it dead on, within the 1% increment limit.

Otherwise, my understanding is you need to determine the correction you want to apply, then enter it as + or - the % needed. That is, if you're stopped, the speed shown is zero but you can still enter a correction %.

Last edited by brucepick; 04-02-2009 at 09:15 AM..
Old 04-02-2009, 10:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
Correction: as long as the ignition is turned on, it keeps updating the time and therefore the average mph. Even with the engine off.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
Reply  Post New Thread