Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2013, 06:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Advice and comment requested

I own a self-assembled street legal NEV (neighborhood electric vehicle). It is titled as a 2012 Urba Electric. It seems to meet all the requirements for the 2012 Federal electric vehicle tax credit except that it is not a "manufactured" vehicle, although all the parts in it are "manufactured". Is there any way to claim this credit? Has anyone done so? I can file an amended return. Wasn't Congress trying to encourage plug-in electric vehicles? I think the tax credit is worth $7500. I'm not terribly excited about getting audited but I've been through that before.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-30-2013, 09:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
I doubt you'll be able to get the credit. The tax credit was created to help create jobs for OEMs, not for DIY guys tinkering in their garage.
wsc01q (05-30-2013)
Old 05-30-2013, 09:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
The NEV tax credit is not $7,500 either, it's 10% of the cost or $2,500 and it's a non refundable tax credit, so you have to OWE $2,500 in federal taxes that you would then not end up paying.
From what I can tell, for your vehicle to qualify then the manufacturer has to have filed paper work for their vehicle to qualify, so if it does qualify then getting that paper work from the manufacturer shouldn't be an issue.
Home Built EV's do not qualify, I can buy all new parts from kit car companies and make an electric hot rod that looks like a Model T Ford and it's a kit car and there for home built because the final assembly took place outside of a factory.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryland For This Useful Post:
wsc01q (05-30-2013)
Old 05-30-2013, 11:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Doesn't seem quite right. A lot of the jobs created are in foreign countries with US tax dollars? The manufacturer requirements seem to be based on the need for the government to track the number of vehicles built because the tax credit changes as the number of produced vehicles increases. Mostly, a self assembled vehicle is going to be a quantity of one.

There is also some confusion between a NEV (< 35 MPH) and a LSV (golf cart < 25 MPH). My Urba well exceeds both speed ratings but I seem to fall under the NEV designation for insurance purposes.

I paid plenty of taxes so getting the credit would be great. I have asked the IRS for an interpretation and intent of the tax law before I challenge it in court. I am looking to connect with anyone in the same circumstances.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
The NEV tax credit is not $7,500 either, it's 10% of the cost or $2,500 and it's a non refundable tax credit, so you have to OWE $2,500 in federal taxes that you would then not end up paying.
Maybe EV tax credit and NEV tax credit are different things?

I believe the EV tax credit is dependent on battery size up to 15kwh for the full $7,500. Which is why the Volt has a 15kwh battery.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsc01q View Post
Doesn't seem quite right. A lot of the jobs created are in foreign countries with US tax dollars? The manufacturer requirements seem to be based on the need for the government to track the number of vehicles built because the tax credit changes as the number of produced vehicles increases. Mostly, a self assembled vehicle is going to be a quantity of one.

There is also some confusion between a NEV (< 35 MPH) and a LSV (golf cart < 25 MPH). My Urba well exceeds both speed ratings but I seem to fall under the NEV designation for insurance purposes.

I paid plenty of taxes so getting the credit would be great. I have asked the IRS for an interpretation and intent of the tax law before I challenge it in court. I am looking to connect with anyone in the same circumstances.
A perfectly logical position, which, in my experience NEVER works with the government. I won't even belabor you with the futility of expecting the IRS to act in any way that could ever be considered "right". I could write a hundred pages from memory about their omnipotent beaurocracy, but only an insane person would bother to read it.

regards
Mech
The Following User Says Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
some_other_dave (05-31-2013)
Old 05-31-2013, 11:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I've gone up against the IRS. They are their own worst enemy. Once, they argued with me over my deductions. Claimed I didn't deduct enough and gave me back more money than I was asking for.

It took me 6 months to get the government to assign a VIN number to my Urba. It took a call to my Congresswoman to push the final button. It was also a mess trying to get insurance here in Ohio. No one cares about EV's in the Midwest. No charging stations and little or no dealer support for those EV's available to purchase. I get everything from high fives to the NY salute when out on the road.

My battery pack for my Urba is 11 kwh but I could add more for a better tax credit.

Reply  Post New Thread