Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2024, 01:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Aero attempt at stand up scooter

So I always wanted to dive into aerodynamics, and stand up scooters are like one of the worst aerodynamic vehicles. Standing tall and the wind just slows me down a lot. When I’m going fast I crouch down to try to get out of the wind but then I’m just a big low slug. The goped is only 41cc so I’m trying to see if top speed can increase with a front fairing. Eventually id like to play with this on my 70s mopeds but that’s another story.

I made the fairing shape to mostly cover me as I crouch down, it isn’t too side loaded for wind I think as it’s so rounded. But I’m no expert.

I made the frame out of a cattle panel, bent it and shaped it to be rounded as possible without sticking out past the beginning of the front wheel, it’s supported on the frame and on the top of the steering pole in a pivot bolt so it’s actually not tied to the steering at all. Steering just pivots and that way the fairing has some upper support.

This is the result. I’m going to skin it today with packing tape then heat gun as I saw in an old tv show where this racing wheelchair guy used it to make his fairings. If it seems to work I’ll use a layer of fiberglass or something to increase its rigidity.

Also if I need to add more of a blunt point to the nose I can add that easily to the existing frame. I’ll skin it then post pics and if I could get some advice as to the shape id appreciate it. Thx!

Idk why the pics are sideways lol

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4521.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	34742   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4525.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	34743  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to capturedbyrobots For This Useful Post:
Ecky (06-01-2024), freebeard (06-01-2024), Joggernot (06-02-2024), y2kbug (06-02-2024)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-01-2024, 05:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,803 Times in 7,261 Posts
Street clothes or could you wear a teardrop helmet and Kamm-back backpack?

Old 06-02-2024, 06:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Y2kbug

1999 corolla - '99 Toyota Corolla Ce
90 day: 43 mpg (US)

03 dakota v6 2wd auto - '03 Dodge Dakota
Last 3: 20.8 mpg (US)

98 s10 - '99 Gmc S10
I'm curious to see how much faster it will go! I believe it will make a difference. i drove a scooter last year and i could go faster if i got down low behind the plastic body panels. I had a blast driving it but i traded it for a transmission for one of my other projects.

Reply  Post New Thread