Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2009, 04:20 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Send a message via AIM to Lethedethius Send a message via Yahoo to Lethedethius
This is quite nice also!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-06-2009, 12:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
Grasshopper

Makai - '01 Toyota Echo 4D Auto
90 day: 34.45 mpg (US)

New Galaxy - '07 Toyota Prius
90 day: 42.15 mpg (US)
look like the whole front shell will flip forward on that one
Old 07-06-2009, 02:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Send a message via AIM to Lethedethius Send a message via Yahoo to Lethedethius
looking for some one piece front end pics (eg civic) - Honda-Tech

Check out these guys cars.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomO View Post
I got a reply from CallosRacing already:

I wrote back asking for more pictures of the back and bottom of the bumper and asked him to join us on the forum to get a feel of how many people would be interested in a bumper that would match up with OEM fenders and the possibility of making rear and front wheel skirts.
Any word from CallosRacing? I very interested in anything that they have to say about what they can & can't make.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Send a message via AIM to pumafeet10
I have been toying with the idea using the one piece front end, or the callos racing wide front end.

I also have fiberglass cwest bumper that i plan on closing all of the holes off but im not sure what I really want to do!

I found someone on honda-tech selling a one-piece front end but my question is how hard is it going to be to have a one piece front end for a daily driver.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:39 PM   #16 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
You guys aren't concerned about adding frontal area?

It's not hard to have a 1 piece front for a DD, you just have to reember that it opens the other way (unless you hinged it to the firewall... but why?)

You just have to make sure that you have proper access to the headlights and turn signals - etc... the headlights mount to the car, not to the sheet metal, so you'd just cut that section of the 1 piece out. If you think eyebrows are cool, you can leave that piece there.

A small rectangular cutout down near the lip of the bumper, with an air duct that completely closes off the radiator area so that it can only get air from that hole would provide sufficient cooling for a daily driven street vehicle, provided you're not reefing it from red light to red light.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:53 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

see that was my thing, i was thinking that having the one piece front end would be so much bigger that woiuld increase frontal area, but wasn't sure if that would be negated by the fact that you are eliminating all seams, grille openings, and even be able to close of the wheel well openings.

Or i was going to use the fiberglass bumper I have and then get the wider fiberglass fenders and modify the bumper to work with the fenders.

But i still can't make the choice!
Old 07-30-2009, 05:20 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumafeet10 View Post
see that was my thing, i was thinking that having the one piece front end would be so much bigger that woiuld increase frontal area, but wasn't sure if that would be negated by the fact that you are eliminating all seams, grille openings, and even be able to close of the wheel well openings.

Or i was going to use the fiberglass bumper I have and then get the wider fiberglass fenders and modify the bumper to work with the fenders.

But i still can't make the choice!
The one piece front end is lighter, and can be hinged to open from either end. The weight reduction (it's a big one) could help to cancel out the majority of the frontal area addition, along will filling/closing gaps and ridges, you should still come out ahead. (Although your pocket probably won't.)

I just wanted to point it out and make sure someone's thinking about it, not just diving blindly into a $600+ modification that might not yield the expected result.

Keep in mind the speeds that you drive most often, though. If you're only driving 40-45 MPH most of the time, the best effect you'll get from something like this is faster warm ups, and a more sustained/controllable engine temp.

If you're a highway body, you'll see the aero improvements as well.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:40 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

For me my work commute right now is only 1.5 miles but one major thing I am trying to do right now is drop the weight of my car as much as i possibly can.

The one point that i am not totally sure about but PA has some interesting interpretations of the vehicle code and I am a little concerned but not majorly if the one piece would fit over the bumper brace to keep the car legal and safe.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:42 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumafeet10 View Post
For me my work commute right now is only 1.5 miles but one major thing I am trying to do right now is drop the weight of my car as much as i possibly can.

The one point that i am not totally sure about but PA has some interesting interpretations of the vehicle code and I am a little concerned but not majorly if the one piece would fit over the bumper brace to keep the car legal and safe.
They're molded right from the front end of the same car, without removing anything, so yeah, it will fit over your bumper. It just won't fasten on the same way.

Reply  Post New Thread