Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2009, 02:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Aero EG Civic body kits?

I've been looking all over for some aftermarket front bumper cover / fender set that actually improves aerodynamics. Most are just for looks and actually make it less aero.

I've found this 1 so far that looks good, for my EG Civic;

it looks like the bumper cover & fenders on this 3 piece kit flare out over the wheel wells, so if you kept the stock wheels maybe you could cover them up and still have room for turning?

my goal is to be as aerodynamic as possible and still be able to paralell park downtown. it would be great, I think, to have a detachable boat-tail to just use for long trips.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-22-2009, 02:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Do you have pictures of the wheel well stuff?

That front bumber looks like it would do the job though.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
That VX guy!

The VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Send a message via AIM to TomO Send a message via Yahoo to TomO

There is the only other pic on the 5th gen Civic.

I wonder how far off that bumper would be from the OEM fenders? Looks like an inch or two since it's designed for 24" and 25" drag slicks.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I just wrote them asking exactly that, I'll post their reply once I get it. I might also measure my wheels to see how much room they need to turn.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

They wrote back

> it is approximately 1.75" wider than stock at the outer most part of the oem
> fender (top of the wheel arc)
>

I think the front wheels on my VX protrude about 4-5" so these flared fenders would be a start but full wheel covers would have to extend further. I think I could make something out of coroplast with aluminum supports, etc.

after that, cover the back wheels, add the rear sloping section, whatever turns out to be the best option.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
That VX guy!

Did you happen to ask what the price is for all three pieces and just for the bumper?

I ended up emailing him as well today and will post up what he replies with.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
That VX guy!

I got a reply from CallosRacing already:
Quote:
Hi Thomas....I just emailed "roy" about my kit and gave him more insight and what we are capable of doing. What is funny is that I am wanting to do the same thing and picked up a vx motor and going to put in into a crx. I'm more into the performance drag racing, tuning drag cars, street cars etc so tuning for better mpg is not new to me. Our front bumper is definitely more areo as it is flat on the bottom much like the ferrari's for aerodynamics.

Anyhow, I got way off topic.....but yes it is made of fiberglass, we also do it in carbon fiber but no it will not work with oem fenders. it is about 3" wider at the point where the bumper meets the fender (at the corner light). I told roy that I would fit some 13" wheels to see how much room there is for turning radius. We make all different prototypes and make molds, so making a wheel cover for both front and rear would be no problem. We can aslo make provisions on it to make a quick on and off deal. My kits retail for $649 for the front bumper and fenders. I would like to be involved in helping you guys in this quest for more mpg. I would sell you the front bumper only for $300 if you are interested.
I wrote back asking for more pictures of the back and bottom of the bumper and asked him to join us on the forum to get a feel of how many people would be interested in a bumper that would match up with OEM fenders and the possibility of making rear and front wheel skirts.

Old 04-23-2009, 04:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2k2Prot5 - '02 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 33.82 mpg (US)
I put a 1-piece bumper/fender/hood on my Del Sol. It was actually made for an EG. It is made of fiberglass (very thin and light!). It has faired fenders that come back in to meet with the door edge. I attach it with two c-shaped brackets on the inside of the bumper that attach to a bar across the front, then there are 4 dzus clips, one at the bottom of each fender by the door and one at each side of the top edge of the hood. It hides my 13x9 wheels.

It came from a guy that does custom race parts and he keeps the mould at a fiberglass place (so they can use the chopper). He originally got the mould as a copy from MB (i think) in cali (I think) who has gone out of business. He charged me 900 cash delivered. The cost was steep because I'm the first guy in a long time to ask him for it and he was making it worth his while.

edit: added picture. The rad hole has been ducted and for anything less than full throttle it can be MUCH smaller. I had originally cut a hole about 3x8, but i could go from normal temp to overheating in 2 turns at full throttle. If i used one gear too high, it was okay even at full throttle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	3300  

Last edited by MazdaMatt; 04-23-2009 at 04:58 PM..
Old 04-23-2009, 05:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

what would be awesome is a full body kit that turns any EG into an aerocivic. the boat tail is a bit impractical but I'm sure theres a way to come up with a removeable one.

covering up the wheels and front vents seems totally doable, especially with kits already out there. What about a quick-release boattail that replaces the clamshell hatch? If I could make one out of coroplast and stuff, I'm sure someone more skilled and equippped could come up with a fiberglass / carbon fiber, monocoque, etc. version.

deft = Roy BTW.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
That VX guy!

I'm going to be installing the lip from below:

To go along with some roof flashing side skirt add-ons that I made for my VX.
(crummy cell pic)

I made the side skirts from vinyl covered roof flashing. I had a buddy with a 10' brake specifically for bending roof flashing.

I had them bent into a basic "J" shape to make attaching them to the OEM skirts easy.

I acquired some parts for my second version of a kammback as well, but I won't be able to work on that again until June

Last edited by TomO; 04-24-2009 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: added info and pics
Reply  Post New Thread