Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2008, 05:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Diesel Fan

'98 Stealth TDI - '98 VW Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 47.05 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to Stealth TDI
Smooth Wheel Face: Is It Worth It?

Hello,

I've been poking around and learning things. Other than driver adjustments, smooth wheels seem to be among the easiest of upgrades. But is it really worth it? I have some alloy wheels that are already fairly smooth. But I have a wild idea of using body filler to fill the holes (don't worry... I have LOTS of these wheels). Check out the difference between the stock front and the photoshopped rear wheel, leaving one hole open for tire pressure adjustments:

Thoughts?

Scott

'98 Jetta TDI (puff, puff, pass...)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-03-2008, 05:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

As long as the Bondo is fairly light, and you're sure to rebalance the wheels after it dries, go for it and please report back!

That said, what are those antennae looking things on your trunk? I wonder what they're doing to your Cd.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Scott -

I don't know how to work with body filler. My intuition says that it could effect wheel balance. I have a cheapy-mod that is similar to yours :

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...disk-3657.html

Ignore the shinyness of the tape. I found a better match since then and will do an updated version soonish.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 09-03-2008, 06:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
smooth

I'm okay with it in spirit.Renault did this with their 146-mpg VESTA-II concept car.I would be critical of dynamic balance.You may want to visit with your local tire providers and see if they can balance ,or check the balance of the wheel/wheelcover combo.There is probably some rpm at which the difference in mass you're creating,will surface as a vibration.At some point,with the covers being constructed of plastic,they could begin to deform under stress,potentially "leaving" the car.At that time,pedestrians,bicyclists,and other motorists will begin to think ecomodding really sucks.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Fan

'98 Stealth TDI - '98 VW Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 47.05 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to Stealth TDI
Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
I don't know how to work with body filler. My intuition says that it could effect wheel balance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficeLinebacker View Post
As long as the Bondo is fairly light, and you're sure to rebalance the wheels after it dries, go for it and please report back!
I've considered the impact on wheel balance. I'm not sure the difference would be too much worse than having a wheel cover in it's place... except the wheel would be balanced with the bondo where it would not be balanced with a wheel cover if I were using them.

Quote:
That said, what are those antennae looking things on your trunk? I wonder what they're doing to your Cd.
Yup... They're ham radio antennas. Here's a photo with the HF grand daddy that only mounts from time to time:

I'm sure they have an effect on Cd, especially the ones on the edge of the trunk. I tend to think the small one in the center doesn't impact much since I can't even get water to blow off the back window. Of course, the HF antenna might as well be a parachute!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
I would be critical of dynamic balance.You may want to visit with your local tire providers and see if they can balance ,or check the balance of the wheel/wheelcover combo. At some point,with the covers being constructed of plastic,they could begin to deform under stress,potentially "leaving" the car. At that time,pedestrians,bicyclists,and other motorists will begin to think ecomodding really sucks.
I imagine some of your comments may have been directed at the wheel cover example above. But, just in case, note that my idea is to fill the alloy wheel openings. But your concerns still complements my own thoughts: I don't know enough about "bondo" to know whether there's a risk of a chunk of filling coming out of the wheel and hitting something.

With the work, risks, and payoffs considered, is it really worthwhile to close up the relatively small holes on such a flat wheel?

Thanks,

Scott

'98 Jetta TDI (puff, puff, pass...)
Old 09-04-2008, 08:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I think Bondo is pretty solid stuff, just follow the directions such as roughening the surfaces & whatnot.

That and the balance thing you've got covered, go for it!
Old 09-04-2008, 09:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth TDI View Post
Hello,

Yup... They're ham radio antennas. Here's a photo with the HF grand daddy that only mounts from time to time:

I'm sure they have an effect on Cd, especially the ones on the edge of the trunk. I tend to think the small one in the center doesn't impact much since I can't even get water to blow off the back window. Of course, the HF antenna might as well be a parachute!

Scott
Not to hi-jack this wheel cover thread,
but here is a picture of my "grand-daddy" hf antenna.
http://www.yankeecruisah.com/w1cgs/p...-rear-side.jpg

I took it off this summer,
never did test the effects on the cd.

/hi-jack off
I'm considering using some corplas
to cover my wheel covers.
They are just light plastic
and I'll ty-wrap the coro to the existing holes.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
I think Bondo is pretty solid stuff, just follow the directions such as roughening the surfaces & whatnot.

That and the balance thing you've got covered, go for it!
I don't think Bondo was ever intended for the sorts of forces that will be present in the most distal part of the spinning wheel. There could be issues with stress cracks developing and then a chunk flying off on the highway, which would really do a number on that tire's balance. Not to mention the damage that the Bondo Bullet might do. For instance if it flies off at the exact top of its rotation it will be moving forward at twice the car's current velocity with respect to the ground. Which would very much suck for a motorcyclist who encounters it while traveling in the opposite direction: if you are both doing 70 mph the thing could hit him at a relative speed of 210 mph!
Old 09-04-2008, 05:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
It is a laughing matter

The ROFL Box - '05 Scion xB
90 day: 46.85 mpg (US)
having worked with bondo myself, I dont think that this would be a good use for it, bondo's intended purpose is to fill in dents, not holes... I dont see it lasting very long at all on your wheel, I think that the metal mend tape on it might work just a tad bit better...
Old 09-04-2008, 05:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
Scott,sorry,as Darin says,I'm self-administering a big head slap.I've awakened now,and pulled the barn out of my eyes and realized you have wheels,not wheelcovers to modify.Isn't literacy a wonderful thing! Anyway,gee,those are beautiful alloy wheels.Too bad there isn't something that would just pop in to the openings.And not to shoot down your Bondo idea,here's a thought.If you're confident with the baseline mpg for the car,tape over the openings and test for improvement.If your pleased with the contribution the closed wheels make,then your good to go with the mods.If you go with the Bondo,you'll want good adhesion,so the "attachment" perimeter of the holes will have to be clean and wax free,and perhaps roughened a bit with say a 3-M Scotch-brite pad,to aid with bonding.If I were doing it,I would carnauba wax the face of the wheel around the perimeter of each opening to prevent Bondo from adhering there.Then I would wax sections of aluminum pie pan or other such light,smooth sheeting to form a "dam" at the outside of each opening,and tape them over the openings from the outside of the wheel with a very sturdy tape.With the wheels removed,I would measure out equal volumes of bondo( estimated to create your plugs),and work one at a time,adding in and mixing the MEK Peroxide paste hardener,one batch at a time.When you have a uniform color in the mixture,you can scoop the mix into the opening,and use whatever is handy to gently push it into place.Move on to the next opening and repeat 'til your done.Work with good ventilation as MEK is poisonous! The Bondo,being polyester based,has a very short pot-life and will gel in a matter of a few minutes.Un -waxed paper cups and popsicle sticks can be used to make the batches."tools" can be cleaned with acetone.Wear gloves! After the Bondo has gone off,you can peel away the dams to expose the raw hardened filler.Minor voids or imperfections can be smoothed out with skim coats of the Bondo.Follow label directions for sanding,priming and painting.Auto stores should have spray paint that will match the original metallic silver of the aluminum.