Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2017, 12:26 AM   #21 (permalink)
Just cruisin’ along

Beater Echo - '00 Toyota Echo
90 day: 42.67 mpg (US)

Hondizzle - '97 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.55 mpg (US)

Shaggin Waggin - '14 Chrysler Town + Country
90 day: 22.56 mpg (US)
Yeah, that's kind of like what my parents experienced on their VWs over 5-year/60k leases. Mom's Beetle was the least reliable car I have ever seen (possibly worse was her subsequent Sienna), while over the same time period my Pa's Passat was dead-on perfect and would possibly have been worthy of a lease buyout.

'97 Honda Civic DX Coupe 5MT - dead 2/23
'00 Echo - dead 2/17
'14 Chrysler Town + Country - My DD, for now
'67 Mustang Convertible - gone 1/17
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-28-2017, 03:04 AM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Quote:
That ideal isn't practical, but I was planning on sealing the sides of the block right to the radiator. the top part of the grill isn't sealed straight to the radiator, but curves.
But it is still ideal, wouldn't you agree. You're the best judge of your fabrication skills.

Quote:
the cavity starts the full size of the grill then is reduced by shrouds. I would block the grill down to the size of the radiator, maybe a little smaller, and shroud it straight to the grill. thoughts?
Thoughts? Get a Toyota Previa:

The Toyota Previa Is the Supercar of Minivans - Autotrader

The total opening (just the perforations) only needs to be 1/6th the size of the radiator itself. But once again: vena contracta. You want a bellmouth.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:13 AM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I agree with the theory, but the spacing between the grill and radiator is not big enough to accomplish the ideal bellmouth. my main limitation is going to be availability of a material I can craft a bellmouth out of.

ah, yes, the Toyota previa, the car that rolls you up like a burrito in a minor fender bender
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	previa.png
Views:	83
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	21645  
Old 04-28-2017, 01:18 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

My son drove a Previa for a while before he got his Dodge Charger SRT (it wasn't turbo AWD).

He did have one 'fender bender' when a Mustang crossed lanes trying to make a freeway exit. It took out the left front turn signal. I know —anecdotal.

Old VW buses are pretty safe because they always get hit in the left rear corner.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:42 PM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I know that the iihs ratings are also An extreme situation, but here are two (again, anecdotal) examples. My Saturn ion, rated 4 stars by Saturn, rated "meh" by iihs. People have gotten hit pretty hard in them and made it out ok. My wife got rear ended in our chevy venture, and not very fast, and another not so good rating from iihs, and she still has whiplash from it.

I just use that as one factor when buying a car, but you'd be surprised how many new cars get a less than perfect side and moderate overlap rating.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:45 PM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ok, so some rough math (not too rough, just before final sanding rough) I have about 207 square inches of open grill space, and just over 1/5 of that (accounting for suboptimal sealing, blocking shape, and intake volume) being 120, I need to eliminate about 87 square inches of open grill.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:02 PM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Previa? You asked for my thoughts. I'll try to stay focused.

All I'm saying is the apparently approximately 10" high, 4" wide, 4" deep piece on each side should be a simple [Z-axis] curve rather than an L<-shape. Vena contracta.

And further deponent sayeth not.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:31 PM   #28 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
FWIW, noting that you didn't trust Chrysler minivans, we've had our '14 ex-Enterprise rental for about a year and 13k miles with zero issues. Currently at 58k.

Good luck with your project. I suspect careful driving will yield more than the mods. I haven't driven the new ones but I had a bit of experience with first-gen (bigger) Acadias, etc., and decided that Tahoes were a better option all-around, nevermind minivans.

Ive seen the new models on the road and they are indeed smaller. Hopefully that connotes some of the benefits you hope to reach.
We also have an ex-rent a car Town and Country but a 2011 with about 68K on it. We have only done oil changes in the 45k we have owned it. Not even needing brakes or tires yet. We traded in a 2009 Enclave AWD that we only kept less than 2 years. It was just too scary the potential troubles other were having with those years and the high cost of the repairs when they did happen. You have to pull the motor to do a timing chain! Beautiful interior though. The 19" tires were also silly expensive because of their limited use size. Never buy anything with 19" wheels.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
jcp123 (04-29-2017)
Old 04-29-2017, 02:07 AM   #29 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Access for maintenance used to be a MAJOR issue for acadias, with the under floor battery and might as well be under floor engine,

but the new ones are MUCH better
Old 04-29-2017, 09:08 AM   #30 (permalink)
Eco Sol

Maintenance is definitely MUCH easier, but to be fair I'd imagine that the other would get to operating temp faster.

Best Tank = 42.72 mpg (in the 94 Del Sol)

CR-Z Current Mods:
Max Sidewall PSI
Reply  Post New Thread