Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2017, 07:40 PM   #31 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I don't have an old one to compare it with, so I don't know. what's unfortunate is the 4 cylinder comes with active grill shutters but lacks the power to tow and lacks a trans cooler, so trans temps climb out of control in stop and go traffic. if the 6 cylinder had them, that would be really nice, but it doesn't. I verified the DIC is accurate, and got 30.5MPG mixed driving with constant rolling hills for the 148 highway miles and 18 city miles. this car is much less consistent than past cars, which I guess I owe to it being an SUV/tall station wagon. I dread the speed limit increase. for any interested in one of these, the 4 cylinder should get more consistently gas mileage, as you have to play the DOD system as much as possible on the 6 cylinder.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-30-2017, 10:40 PM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
There might could be a block-off plate that is attached to the hood and provides the same airflow.

So you're saying that the OEM parts for an active shutter are in the supply chain?
Old 05-01-2017, 12:37 PM   #33 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The hood seals off the top of the cavity, so the only air that gets to the engine is from underneath or through the radiator. I would imagine you could buy them, but they probably require ecu input, which doesn't exist on my car
The Following User Says Thank You to Isoldmysaturn:( For This Useful Post:
freebeard (05-01-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 10:26 PM   #34 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

well, ****. it looks like GM has that same data regarding minimum grill size. I actually measured the open space of the top and bottom grill, and just the top grill equals just barely over 1/6th, with the bottom grill only contributing to the area of the intake (which feeds from the top grill opening) plus 8 square inches. They only gave it a safety buffer of 12 square inches with some spots not sealed the best, an intake running from the upper grill opening, and an imperfect shape to the sealing baffles. I don't know how much I want to block off, if any, now.

Reply  Post New Thread