Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2015, 04:08 AM   #51 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Phantom Blot (Spökplumpen in swedish) - '75 Saab 96 V4
90 day: 52.77 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
SAAB offered a splitter-type air dam on late production 96's...
That's a good looking spoiler but there's no splitter so I guess the sharp edge may cause some turbulence under the belly. The angle of the spoiler will probably direct some of the air to the sides instead. To scoop up some air up over the car I guess the spoiler should be more in line with the grill.

It must be better in general to shovel around air as little as possible and directing it to the sides is indeed a shorter distance than up over the roof. A spoiler collects air from quite a large area and if it directs most of the air to the sides that air must compress and accelerate quite a bit if it can't escape over or under the car. Making it easier for the air to travel up over the car by moving the spoiler forward could improve aerodynamics I guess. (reducing WAF... )

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-01-2015, 04:38 AM   #52 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault_megane_dci View Post
Where I work (automotive) it is said that a lower front helps the Cd of a car. The side view of your car shows the opposite although it is not loaded.
What is the size of the rims ?
.... flat stainless wheel covers that would not look too badly out of place...
I have read a bit about this here and there. The travel height, or at least a part of it, is often included in the calculation of frontal area. A modern car with nice looking smooth body can often still have a terribly rought belly. The engine compartment is often partly covered with plastic but the rest can look truely terrible. If you reduce ride height and add an air dam you reduce the ammount of air that can be beaten by this nightmareish part of the car.

The good old Saab 96, designed by aircraft engineers, is almost perfectly smooth below with only the exhaust pipe hanging down. The exhaust is entirely in line with the car so the projected area is quite small. Wheels are narrow 165R15". There's a rectangular open box-shaped structure around the rear axle, but that can easily be covered with plastic.

The aircraft engineers of Saab must have known better than most other car designers at the time how bad the upper rear end is. The slope is way to steep, but that shape was almost standard in the late 1940's. The original Saab car prototype and the first production model "92" had what I guess was a bit better rear end shape than the later 96.

The rear is probably the worst part of these cars. The second worst is the fenders, entirely open below and with the wheels deep in from the sides. The rear fenders are quite easy to cover properly but the front fenders is a bit of a challenge... The front wheels are about 10 cm/4" in from the sides.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:48 AM   #53 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Saab 96 belly - quite smooth :
Old 07-01-2015, 11:40 AM   #54 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAh View Post
Saab 96 belly - quite smooth :
Nice. Once that company got a few aero lessons down, they seemed to have it embedded in the company culture, huh? I have new respect for them as a result of this forum. This is a 1970s underbody? How many companies routinely built cars with a full undertray? VW bugs had 'em. How many others? ... not a lot I would bet.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 07-02-2015, 03:56 AM   #55 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

la_voiture_de_courses - '03 Renault Megane Estate
OldContinents
90 day: 44.34 mpg (US)

xiao lan - '01 Audi A2
90 day: 38.88 mpg (US)

Brit iron - '92 Mini Mini
90 day: 45.5 mpg (US)

Prius - '09 Toyota PRIUS Lounge
90 day: 47.37 mpg (US)

Beemer - '06 BMW F800 ST
90 day: 53.06 mpg (US)
It is not about building cars, it is about selling cars and making money in the process.

Designing cars with qualities people are not willing to pay for is a dead end.

Saab is a good example of a country's car maker that could follow and refine their ideas in a low competition market and shine until it got hit by worldwide competition.

Today's market emphasis is about "buying testosterone".
Let's hope people grow up and come up to buying FE cars someday ...