Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2009, 03:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Turkey Mobile - '93 Mazda 626 DX
90 day: 36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super22LL View Post
How did this affect your alignment? I'm guessing if you lowered the front 2" it would throw you camber out. I've lowered several vehicles using aftermarket springs and spindles, but I've never used spring clamps. It soulds like a good idea, I'd suggest getting an aligment if you plan on keeping it low for a long time.
My car sorta needed an alignment anyways because above 65mph there were severe vibrations. But as for the alignment, when I installed the spring clamps, I just made sure they were evenly lined up on either side, counted the threads on the bolts to make sure they were all tightened down to the same height.

I didn't get my alignment checked by a professional but if anything after lowering it the car drove in a more refined and composed manner. Also, I didn't mess with the strut mounts and just judging by eye the camber and caster both looked fine, the wheels weren't bent or angled or anything but they still had the correct amount of "play" for cornering, uneven road surfaces, ect...

Its also worth mentioning that Mazda builds superb and quite forgiving suspensions :]

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-01-2009, 03:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
Nate -

I think they are a really good way to do a car lowering A-B-A aero-test, and/or "dial-in" the ride height you are comfortable with without committing to the cost of new springs. Once happy, then you still have the option to lower the car with the more $$ stuff.

CarloSW2
True, but if I were to buy new springs, I would definitely get adjustable coilovers rather than commit to springs of a fixed ride height
Old 05-01-2009, 03:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
I started a thread with this idea on the Polish Peugeot Club forum (lots of tuners), asking whether anyone has heard of this, tried it, etc. So far nobody has, but a few didn't mind calling it "rednecky". Everyone who answered thinks it would wear out your shocks twice as fast, plus danger of a spring busting from being compressed too long. I cite:
Quote:
The reason professional suspension kits (springs, shocks, etc.) are made and sold is to use them in your specific model, and not some weird homemade junk.
But then, these are guys who pay 2-3 times what something is worth just because it's got some logo on it, or it's got a blue LED.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 05-01-2009, 04:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Yeah like I said I Wouldn't recommend doing this to a nice new car, but if its a winter beater like my Mazda was I figured why the hell not give it a shot. Plus they are removable, it's nothing permanent like cutting the coils. I don't think the spring would bust, the clamps are really heavy duty I mean the only way I could see it being a problem is on bumpier surfaces (think off roading). But as far as smooth street surfaces go I don't think the shocks are going to wear out faster because they are compressed for too long, as long as you are driving like an ecomodder and not a rally racer.

Then again I could be wrong, I'm not an expert. You will sacrifice some ride quality but the improved handling just from the lower center of gravity was worth it in my opinion

Just remember they are reversible, if they cause any problems you can take them right off

Also check and make sure if they are legal where you live, you may not pass inspection in some places
Old 05-28-2009, 02:41 PM   #15 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
I found this today on a Polish portal. It says that someone is offering clamps on an internet auction for 6.90PLN (about US$2). The seller says it's safe and he has been using them for 10 months. The rest of the article is about how people are risking the health and live of themselves and others just to not pay a lot for lowering their vehicle.

I'm not saying it is or isn't safe, but I wonder if there is any info on this. Is there any documented case of something happening? Just asking...

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 05-28-2009, 08:47 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Family - '09 Ford Escape XLT
90 day: 22.06 mpg (US)

Old Red - '92 Honda Civic VX
90 day: 41.27 mpg (US)
Not very safe
Old 09-13-2009, 08:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
I bought some today, and plan to install them on my Civic.
The instructions that came with the parts are very vague. Do I just jack the car up and tighten them around the coils ? ( evenly on each side )

Thanks for posting this very useful info. You just saved me a huge load of money !

Last edited by Cd; 09-13-2009 at 08:32 PM..
Old 09-13-2009, 08:32 PM   #18 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
Right off, I see a potential problem - the spacing on the front springs is around 1/2" or so, while the rear spacing is close to 1".
If I install more clamps so that they don't hit each other when compressed, can I install more than one set of these things ?
I would have wanted to anyways, since I want my car 'slammed'.
Since the gap at the widest is just under an inch, that's what I'm guessing that I'll end up with if I clamp 'em. ( A one inch drop )
Old 09-14-2009, 04:03 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

oldscoob - '87 subaru wagon gl/dr
90 day: 47.06 mpg (US)
This is a common problem in proprietary non-race cars with set struts. The clamps work on certain setups, and not others.
I put one on a 2wd subaru (very odd car just to look at), the front came down the maximum the clamps allowed, just to look, "almost level". they are a good idea if car does not sway, else snapping is possible.

I am contemplating a strut wrapped cold, after removing locked in heights, and lettin it have it with a mig, avoiding a pop. I have seen this in action, no crazier than a successful weld on an ebrake cable...just unlikely, and requiring some skeelz..
Spring gets left alone, and you get an exact measurement, no guessing.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:43 PM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Zuma - '04 Yamaha Zuma
90 day: 72.37 mpg (US)

Aveo2004 - '04 Chevrolet Aveo
90 day: 36.45 mpg (US)
Cd, do you think you'll have time to do an A-B-A test with them? I'd be interested to see how much they help.

Reply  Post New Thread