Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2019, 08:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I swapped a 350 into my S-10 years ago, had to use some pipe fittings to reuse OEM sending unit. One day with the hood up doing something one of those fittings broke from fatigue, a whole lot of oil came out pretty quick. If happened any where else my motor would have been junk.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-21-2019, 02:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
IF you harm the threads, there are any amount of different thread repair systems.
Yeah, drills, taps, helicoils etc I've used before, I'd be concerned about shavings getting into the oil passages, and the location is such that it would require a lot of disassembly!

Quote:
Turn it backward until you feel it drop one thread and then turn it the correct way.
Good tip freebeard, but it's not the fitting - some stories on the Web, about the weight pulling the threads out of the block after fitting.

Versa/skyking/rooster - thanks for your info. Hopefully if it fails the gauge itself will alert me. The oem sensor is pretty pointless anyway, it only comes on when the pressures already terminally low anyway.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:33 AM   #13 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,104 Times in 974 Posts
Axle grease on the tap grabs most shavings then If you fire it up after the repair for a small time, the oil gushing out does a good job cleaning the hole of shavings. Done it a bunch because of various lunatics and haven't damaged an engine yet to my knowledge.

Another option is small diameter flex line to a remote hardened mount bracket. You loose a bit of data on start up while the oil gets to the sensor.

Most engines have odd tapped manufacturing access holes throughout the block with oil pressure. Look for various pipe cap fittings.

Last edited by Piotrsko; 08-22-2019 at 10:40 AM..
Reply  Post New Thread