Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2010, 11:48 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I was wondering if it would be a good idea or not.I key off alot and don't want to wear out the switch. Unless it's not worth it...

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-16-2010, 12:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
I don't have a kill switch in my Paseo. I've been keying off for many thousands of miles as have many others here. I think I've heard of one person having a problem.

At one point my ignition switch did get a bit sticky. I sprayed some powdered graphite lubricant in there and it fixed that problem.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tank - '96 Ford Aspire 4 door
Team Ford
90 day: 46.75 mpg (US)
A higher flowing air filter gives the potential for increased power, and thus using more fuel. However, if you drive the same way you did before, you will notice you can have the same power output from a lower throttle position. The change in economy or performance rests with the driver.
In another thread somewhere, we went over air filters in detail, and found they don't have much of an effect on fuel injected cars, but a clogged air filter on a carburated car will hurt both power and efficiency.

In the long run, a cleanable air filter can save money and reduce waste, provided you don't damage the filter. I run a K&N in mine.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks for the input. I think it has paid for it's self in replacements already.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:35 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The K&N should have about paid for itself by now. A lot of throw away paper filters are $10-$15 so you after 3 years it should have paid for itself. The K&N does flow higher I might be wrong but I think the computer compensates for the higher flow and adjusts for the proper air fuel mixture. Just make sure when you clean and reoil the filter to check you air intake sensor after a few hundred miles or so. I have heard stories or the filter oil plugging up the sensor and making mpgs worse. they do sell a cheap sensor cleaner for around $5 at most local part stores.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:51 AM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Jetsin mobile - '03 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.59 mpg (US)

Vaderr - '95 Chevrolet Impala Super Sport
90 day: 17.98 mpg (US)

Karalee - '87 Pontiac Fiero GT
90 day: 30.71 mpg (US)

Bertha - '86 Jeep Cherokee Poineer
90 day: 20.37 mpg (US)

Benz - '94 Mercedez-Benz SL500 GT
90 day: 20.34 mpg (US)
The K&N high flow filters WILL give you a couple of miles to the gallon more. The engine on the intake stroke is able to suck in the Air Fuel mixture easier so less energy is lost or required thus make more energy going to the wheels. The K&N are made out of cloth, not paper and come with a 1,000,000 mile warranty. You only have to clean it once in a while. Better fuel economy and you do not have to replace the paper filter two three times a year, saving you more money. AFE is also a really good filter, but are not always available for certain cars.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:24 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmwarrior View Post
The K&N high flow filters WILL give you a couple of miles to the gallon more.
No it wont.

Quote:
The engine on the intake stroke is able to suck in the Air Fuel mixture easier so less energy is lost or required thus make more energy going to the wheels.
Your engine is throttled by the throttle plate angle, not by the air filter.
Quote:
The K&N are made out of cloth, not paper and come with a 1,000,000 mile warranty.
No, K&N uses a foam filtering medium, not cloth.
Quote:
Better fuel economy and you do not have to replace the paper filter two three times a year, saving you more money. AFE is also a really good filter, but are not always available for certain cars.
I've never heard of anyone replacing air filters 2-3 times a year. A paper filter is good for at least 20-30k miles depending on how dusty your driving environment is.

Don't waste your money on K&N.
http://www.max-boost.co.uk/max-boost...er%20tests.htm

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

Last edited by tjts1; 04-30-2011 at 03:58 PM..
Old 04-30-2011, 01:33 PM   #18 (permalink)
Bookworm

Sylvio 2 - '04 Audi allroad quattro Biturbo 6-spd
90 day: 25.09 mpg (US)

Atlas - '04 Audi allroad 2.7T 6MT
90 day: 25.09 mpg (US)
Maybe I'm flirting with disaster, but I usually just blow the dirt out of the paper filter, check it over to make sure it isn't perforated anywhere and put it back in. Does that make me a bad person?
Old 04-30-2011, 03:54 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjasper View Post
Maybe I'm flirting with disaster, but I usually just blow the dirt out of the paper filter, check it over to make sure it isn't perforated anywhere and put it back in. Does that make me a bad person?
I do the same thing at every oil change.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:36 PM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Jetsin mobile - '03 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.59 mpg (US)

Vaderr - '95 Chevrolet Impala Super Sport
90 day: 17.98 mpg (US)

Karalee - '87 Pontiac Fiero GT
90 day: 30.71 mpg (US)

Bertha - '86 Jeep Cherokee Poineer
90 day: 20.37 mpg (US)

Benz - '94 Mercedez-Benz SL500 GT
90 day: 20.34 mpg (US)
Yes, most can get along with changing the Air Filter only once a year, but if you live in a dusty area, or drive a lot on dirt roads it will get dirty pretty quick. Most of the O'Riley's auto parts stores I have been to usually show a comparison between factory paper filters and K&N cotton filters. They are not foam, I take it you do not have one from reading what I have that you have posted, I have one in my Harley Davidson, Impala SS, C20 truck, Honda Insight, Honda Civic, and VW Touareg. All improved my fuel economy if only a little. I still am usuing the same filters I bought when I bought the vehicles. The Harley I have had since 2000, same air Filter. Honda, since 2004 and same filter. It's alright, do as you want I was just trying to help out. If you do not believe me, go to Shucks/O'Rielies and see if they have the K&N filter display.
If you are looking to save some more money, look into AMS oil products. They claim a once a year or 25,000 mile oil change. Unless extreme like my last location (Alaska) then once every 15000 mils, or which ever comes first. I have been using AMS just as long as the K&N Air Filters as well. The AMS oil makes a big difference when it gets down to -40 and you have a standard transmission. It shifts a lot easier than it did with factory gear lube.

Oh well, I was just trying to help out. I will leave.

Reply  Post New Thread