Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2011, 08:23 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Civic DX (sold) - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 34.15 mpg (US)

GTO (sold) - '04 Pontiac GTO
90 day: 22.62 mpg (US)

Green Brick (sold) - '06 Ford Escape Hybrid
90 day: 31.93 mpg (US)
No one has denied that a K&N will let the air flow better. Its just that for the purpose of increasing fuel economy, there is little to no effect because you don't need to exceed the airflow a paper filter provides during 99% of driving.

Camry Thread
E-Bike Thread
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-30-2011, 11:49 PM   #22 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmwarrior View Post
Yes, most can get along with changing the Air Filter only once a year, but if you live in a dusty area, or drive a lot on dirt roads it will get dirty pretty quick.
So clean out the paper filter. Hit it against the pavement a couple of times and you'll be amazed at home much dirt you can remove from it.
Quote:
I take it you do not have one from reading what I have that you have posted, I have one in my Harley Davidson, Impala SS, C20 truck, Honda Insight, Honda Civic, and VW Touareg.
I would be interested to see the silica content in your oil. K&N can increase engine wear dramatically because of its poor filtering ability.
Quote:
It's alright, do as you want I was just trying to help out. If you do not believe me, go to Shucks/O'Rielies and see if they have the K&N filter display.
Yes, and they have vested interest in selling you the most expensive air filter.

Not exactly confidence inspiring.

Quote:
Well there is a clear pattern on filtration ability compared to both flow and the type of filtration media used. The "high performance" cotton gauze and foam filters do not filter as well as some have claimed. I actually received an e-mail from K&N stating their filters filter within 99% of the OEM filters. This may be true, and 1% may not sound like much. I contend that 1% over many miles, may be important. Really, it is up to each individual to decide. The poorer flowing filters, remove more particles, and the better flowing filters remove less particles. If you think about it, that conclusion passes any and all common sense tests, so it is not surprising. There are many that will be shocked by the results, that should not be though. I've used high performance filters in the past, and I might again in the future. At the same time, I know that the stock OEM type filters perform very well in filtration and don't inhibit flow nearly as much as some think.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm

Reply  Post New Thread