Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2010, 03:26 PM   #31 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Nissan Cube - '10 Nissan Cube Base
90 day: 33.35 mpg (US)

The BRG - '91 Mazda Miata SE
90 day: 35.9 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroModder View Post
Boattailing the front won't have nearly as much of an effect as boattailing the rear.
I don't know. A boat tail in the front vs stock would be like comparing the front of an F-A18 vs a Greyhound bus I would think. It doesn't matter anyway as I was just joking about the whole boat tail.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-05-2010, 04:47 PM   #32 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

You obviously don't know. Yes boatailling both ends would be necessary if you were putting your afterburners on and flying supersonic but at driving speed its the rear where the air separates. Boatailing the back of a greyhound bus would help alot more than the front.'
Old 07-06-2010, 10:40 AM   #33 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Nissan Cube - '10 Nissan Cube Base
90 day: 33.35 mpg (US)

The BRG - '91 Mazda Miata SE
90 day: 35.9 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by miket View Post
You obviously don't know. Yes boatailling both ends would be necessary if you were putting your afterburners on and flying supersonic but at driving speed its the rear where the air separates. Boatailing the back of a greyhound bus would help alot more than the front.'
You obviously don't know how to be smart, polite or civilized. I don't need or want your input.

Also, having a smaller, more aerodynamic front end would probably help a lot more than a sleeker boat tail back end for cutting through the wind, even at normal highway speeds. Perfect examples would be just about any sports car or hybrid out there compared to my Cube with it's near vertical bumper, grill and windshield.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:40 PM   #34 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tank - '96 Ford Aspire 4 door
Team Ford
90 day: 46.75 mpg (US)
People have tested rounded vs. blunt front ends (there's a separate thread on that), and even at freeway speeds, it just doesn't make a noticeable difference.

Think of it this way. In the front, you're pushing air out of the way. But in the back, the vaccum is sucking you back. Air is relatively easy to push, but vaccums are tough little things. Reducing the effect of the vaccum has a far greater effect than smothing out the "push" of the air, unless you're travelling well over 200 MPH.

Most rounded sports car fronts are for asthetics. If they were for function, they would have a short nose and a long tail- the opposite of what's considered attractive.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:47 PM   #35 (permalink)
Aero Deshi

MagMetalCivic - '04 Honda Civic Sedan EX
Last 3: 34.25 mpg (US)
I like short noses and long tails...I suppose this is why I like cats.

Can we test one of them in a windtunnel?
Old 07-06-2010, 06:58 PM   #36 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
study

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopsQube View Post
You obviously don't know how to be smart, polite or civilized. I don't need or want your input.

Also, having a smaller, more aerodynamic front end would probably help a lot more than a sleeker boat tail back end for cutting through the wind, even at normal highway speeds. Perfect examples would be just about any sports car or hybrid out there compared to my Cube with it's near vertical bumper, grill and windshield.
ChopsQube,if you'll invest the time and read through the stickys,seminars,and mod-data,you should be near self-sufficiency with respect to aero issues.
I think you've been victimized like the rest of us,with urban legends and un-supported claims about airflow 'n such.
If you'll do the homework I think you'll understand why members will be pointing at the back of the 'cube' as your source of drag.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:25 PM   #37 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
I recently spent a few hours with Hucho, and I strongly recommend it as an introduction to vehicle aerodynamics. It contains many illustrated examples of different configurations tested in a wind tunnel.

You can gain a small improvement in drag with a rounded front end, and a large improvement in drag with a tapered rear. Low-drag concept cars invariably include both.

But I think this is a bit academic. You're not going to take the cubicness out of your Cube, are you?

Reply  Post New Thread