Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2013, 07:58 PM   #211 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

You'd think every semi tractor manufacturer would remember the Peterbilt 372, especially the company that built them!

Looks to me like they're just milking the government for money instead of using the big head start on efficiency they dumped 20+ years ago.

Same thing with all the crowing about new cars that get 39 MPG, when 20 years ago the Geo Metro got 45 with an auto and 50+ with a manual. Progress? What's that?

Is there some government regulation or agency that would stand in the way of a trucking company refurbishing, modernizing and further enhancing the aerodynamics of a fleet of 372's?

The Following User Says Thank You to Galane For This Useful Post:
beluga (02-07-2014)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-26-2013, 09:08 PM   #212 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
The corporations are the creatures of the ultra-rich, as are the giant banks. And those corporations captured our government a long time ago. The taxpayer (which is not them, after all) is on the hook from every angle imaginable. The "theater" of politics is to keep us distracted, misinformed, and docile, but voting into power one or the other group who yet promulgate the same policies.

Nothing wrong, per se, with funding research . . but (as the old question goes) "Who watches the watchers?" Who is responsible for a particular outcome? Who bears the price and receives the benefit? When taxpayer dollars are spent according to lobbyists, who's surprised?

A long way of saying what was said above: Why are we re-inventing this wheel?

Cronyism, nepotism are ugly. Racism & sexism are mainly distractions, second or third order problems. Same for gun control, etc. Rabble-rousing. Money is of the first order. And guaranteeing profits to the few, versus promoting the general welfare is disgusting. Welcome to modern America.

This story is more and more common since 1980. Practically the only story anymore.

Numbers as dollars, and Cui bono?

Last edited by slowmover; 03-26-2013 at 09:24 PM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to slowmover For This Useful Post:
beluga (02-07-2014), CFECO (02-07-2014), Frank Lee (02-06-2014), Jyden (02-08-2014)
Old 03-27-2013, 01:49 PM   #213 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Please tell me that the new concept truck is going to have only one diff and a liftable tag axle. Lift Tag with diff lock has more than enough traction for most of your driving conditions, and saves a lot of weight and has much less drivetrain losses. Scandinavian people has survived with them from the 60's, so it would be about the time that americans wake up and see the advantages too. Trailer could have liftable second axle too, wouldn't hurt to have only two tires rolling when empty.

Also, would such aerodynamic truck manage with electrical water pump and electric fan? I-shift has too proven its worth here. Also, are you familiar with the teardrop trailer?

Just playing with ideas here, let me know what you think.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mika For This Useful Post:
beluga (02-07-2014)
Old 03-27-2013, 03:59 PM   #214 (permalink)
Grand Imperial Poobah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galane View Post
Looks to me like they're just milking the government for money instead of using the big head start on efficiency they dumped 20+ years ago.

Zacklee!

Is there some government regulation or agency that would stand in the way of a trucking company refurbishing, modernizing and further enhancing the aerodynamics of a fleet of 372's?
No.

http://www.airflowtruck.com
Old 03-27-2013, 04:08 PM   #215 (permalink)
Grand Imperial Poobah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika View Post
Please tell me that the new concept truck is going to have only one diff and a liftable tag axle. Lift Tag with diff lock has more than enough traction for most of your driving conditions, and saves a lot of weight and has much less drivetrain losses. Scandinavian people has survived with them from the 60's, so it would be about the time that americans wake up and see the advantages too. Trailer could have liftable second axle too, wouldn't hurt to have only two tires rolling when empty.

Also, would such aerodynamic truck manage with electrical water pump and electric fan? I-shift has too proven its worth here. Also, are you familiar with the teardrop trailer?

Just playing with ideas here, let me know what you think.
Hi Mika -

I'm not on the welcoming committee here, but welcome to the forum.

Yes, the new truck will have only one differential and a tag axle. Not sure if it will be a lift axle yet. There are other ways to get traction to the differential.

Definitely a high-voltage electric fan. Possibly a High-Voltage water pump.

The teardrop trailer would not work for general freight here in the good ol' USA. The shippers of high-cube loads use a 53' x 102" rectangular trailer configuration in their load calculations. And we have 14' underpasses on highways, so a teardrop either wouldn't fit underneath, or it would hold way less freight to actually get under the overpass.

http://www.airflowtruck.com
Old 03-27-2013, 04:34 PM   #216 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Good to know that you use only one diff, maybe others will soon too get the point.

There may be other ways for traction but I cannot figure anything cheaper/simpler. Lift switch should be inside cab so that you could lift while driving if the situation demands it. There's also no reason to roll tag axle tires when empty.

Electric water pump would be ideal since your truck is not going to need half as much cooling than the standard truck water pump is designed to give. And if you use, for example, evans coolant, I think you can keep the motor at least 10 C hotter than usual anyway without worrying about boiling.

Also, I think you should visit rvs-tec website.

Even though it sounds like science fiction, it does work as it is advertised. I think you will find multiple places to use RVS. Engine, transmission, differential, wheel bearings...
Old 03-27-2013, 06:03 PM   #217 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Matchbox - '93 Ford Festiva L
Team Ford
Last 3: 70.16 mpg (US)

Salamander - '99 Chrysler Concorde LXI
Team Dodge
90 day: 30.3 mpg (US)

Urquhart - '97 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 V6 3.4L DLX
Pickups
90 day: 25.81 mpg (US)

Smudge - '98 Toyota Tacoma
90 day: 40.65 mpg (US)

Calebro - '15 Renault Trafic 1.25 dci
90 day: 39.39 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepherd777 View Post
Paccar, parent of Peterbilt, has visited my web site dozens of times in the past. They were there 14 times yesterday and once so far today. And their latest visit was referred to by this site.
You would think they would have learned something by now.

Our tax dollars at work.[/COLOR]

lol! That's some high lvl research right there ^
The Following User Says Thank You to mikeyjd For This Useful Post:
beluga (02-07-2014)
Old 02-06-2014, 10:00 AM   #218 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

You're getting some outside attention!
Is The BulletTruck What Semis Will Look Like In The Future?
The Following User Says Thank You to mf70 For This Useful Post:
beluga (02-07-2014)
Old 02-06-2014, 10:35 AM   #219 (permalink)

Read the comments section from the beginning. The creator of the Airflow bullet truck answers some questions and gives recent insight into his project.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:05 AM   #220 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Princess Carriage - '20 Ford Explorer Limited

Silver - '22 Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT w/tow pkg
Maverick Hybrids
90 day: 41.3 mpg (US)
Awesome job! That's an industry changing vehicle you made there, there's no way it's going to go unnoticed. Don't sell out man, keep them coming!
BTW, there's got to be over 300 square feet of potential solar panel real estate on top of every trailer that could power electronics/refrigeration, etc. . .do you have any plans for utilizing the space?

The Following User Says Thank You to cowmeat For This Useful Post:
101Volts (04-04-2014)
Reply  Post New Thread