Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2008, 09:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to Nden Send a message via Yahoo to Nden
going back to VX roots from D15B soch vtec

hi new here. I've been rollin in my 92 Vx for abou 4.5yrs. I swapped out the D15Z1 about 90k ago for a jdm D15B sohc vtec (130hp). Decided to go back to the oem Z1 with gas prices almost $4 in San Diego,Ca. Plus my illegal motor will require a big bribe to a smog place. I did have a smog hook up who passed me somehow for just $100 in mid-06 but he is no longer there . Since I commute about 55-60miles round trip to work -now 2nd shift- thought its time to save that gas $$ for something more worthwhile. I miss the old Z1, when i took off the valve cover before the swap, it was suprisingly cleaner than my D15B vtec . I also noticed the built in oil-cooler on the VX which was NOT on the D15B vtec . I liked the lighter crankpulley on teh VX which i kept since I didnt have powersteering to use the D15Bs.

Current mods which will stay after re-verting to the VX longblock: rear ITR swaybar, wicked RLCA's, generic Mugen front strut bar,generic rear strut bar, jdm cluster tach/gas/temp white gauges outside the black VX speedo = PANDA-Cluster™ . heh its actually the gas/temp from an auto cuz when i was first installing it during hot summer i accidentally broke the gas needle . So to keep with my Panda-Cluster™ theme & save a lil $, the cluster for an auto EG was cheaper- and i sold the other gauges left over. Found its not hard to roll back the odometer either when i kept my USDM speed gauge . Dynamatted around front & inside of rear speakers area-used Si brackets or speaker grills. Short shifter, Tein 1,1" drop springs. oem Billstein shocks. An Airmass ceramic header which i got off ebay for only $130 shipped ! front upper adjustable a-arm camber kit. Crappy earl scheib paint nice color but ****ty sanding it bubbled on my front bumper but they will be hearing from my law-firm and fixing that -only 2 months after it was painted. Time to sell the 2 17" SSR star shaped rims in the back =( they great traction & were a payoff but screams "ricer" which i'd rather mine look sleeper .

to be installed after motor swap: Front upper-A arms camber kit & new prothane bushings all around. Also ordering Innovative billet motor mounts .DX trans is great , decent accel with highway cruising rpms lower than Ex trans. stock intake,might get HKS sponge drop in,but no cold air-cuz that sucks gas. I also have a used Apexi V-Afc meter i'd like to use and lean my fuel a lil more with that cigar shaped meter they make for 02,volt,ect.
Glad i found this side!

http://www.deantaber.com
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-19-2008, 09:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Nice stuff! Do you have any qicked high mileage goals?

Welcome to the site!
Old 04-19-2008, 11:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
I REFUSE!

VTEC Express - '96 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 57.72 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to thebrad

Holla!

San Diego Civic Pride, haha.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

lmao@ that pic! i'm at about 270k right now. did my D15Bvtec swap at a hair under 183. I'll shoot for 500k going back to a low mileage Z1. I was researching the tire thing which makes it a tough choice. Got vx 13's up front (tires snaggletoothed from crappy camber/bad tie rod on driver side), and SSR starshaped 17's with diff tread out back. I've been thinking of sprucing her up with some 15x7s but i know wide tires take some mpg =(. they look so simple n clean tho! 2nd choice is going with some 14" HX rims, leaving more tread options then the VX 13s.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Did you get that thing?

Green Machine - '92 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 39.98 mpg (US)

Money pit - '97 Infiniti j30
90 day: 22.74 mpg (US)
If you have all 4 vx rims and are willing to sell, I might be interested.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
I REFUSE!

The top two low rolling resistance tires are in 14s, but number three is available in 13s.
I have my VX rims wrapped in them, Sumitomo HTR-200 175/70-13

Old 04-20-2008, 06:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

sumitomos in 13's not bad. got 411 on those 14" tires? I'd like to go with some HX14's or aftermarket 15's . I was considering some 205/45-15 tires i saw the sizes on a comparison link from somebody's post or profile on here. They have the least change in total diameter i believe. Then I could sell the four VX 13s. (they were polished 2yrs ago ).

1 has a lil bit taken off the center by the lugs,when 1 lug was stripped and had to be drilled/grinded off . But the polishing was done in Lakeside somewhere after that stripped stud was taken off and they smoothed as much as they could with the polisher on that single rim.

heh i like the emote...reminds me of star wars for some reason

Old 04-20-2008, 07:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
I REFUSE!

You shouldn't have any problems selling the VX rims here or on Honda-Tech's marketplace. HX are pretty easy to come by in SoCal for some reason, thieves I guess?
Tons of them on Craigslist. I'm sure you could offer up a trade offer on HT and some responses.

Anyway, info on the tires:
http://greenseal.org/resources/repor...resistance.pdf

1) Bridgestone B381
2) Nokian NRT2
Old 04-20-2008, 10:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Red Robin - '92 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 38.88 mpg (US)
welcome to the site! I happen to have a 92 CX with a D15B8 (the 70 hp one) and I was looking to swap a Z1 in there. What are the things I would need for a swap?
Old 04-21-2008, 03:47 AM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

ty mims. & brad u right about thieves- they broke into my vx last thurs pm taking my broadway mirror/shades/blue tooth/and iPOD cig-charger . Good part is they left my tools . (curse the *******s!) it happens in so-cal unfortunately.

Reply  Post New Thread