Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2008, 07:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Unheard -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unheard View Post
how well have they worked?
I won't lie, I don't know, . I need to do a tuft test on my rear window to see the effect on turbulence. Also, I have yet to find a good safe place in LA to do a repeatable coast down test.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-13-2008, 08:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thats the problem with certain mods its hard to tell if they are actually worth it.
I read about dimples being very beneficial and also flat zigzags, as both are not
that big there is not too much worry of them causing much drag rather than
helping with it.

MORE SPEEDWITH LESS

I am going to neck a tank drive at a set speed down a road then neck it again
to work out the MPG that will be my baseline

Any mods can then be tested out by repeating the same test, All though i cant account for weather it will give a real world indication if things are working for the better.

I love the theory of how things work but sometimes it comes down to a simple test to see either way

looking at fish and birds is always a good indicator of good design concepts when it comes to aerodynamics evaluation has been playing around much longer than man has

not directly related to cars but gets the brain stimulated

Technology Review: Whale-Inspired Wind Turbines

I also came across something called the ram implosion wing the concept is fascinating
but i am not sure what to make of it. it could be just a load of BS i am not sure if anyone has posted on here about it before it looks rather interesting whatever

Ram Implosion Wing Developments
Old 08-13-2008, 09:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Unheard -

Yeah, the sophisticated aero-mods frustrate me because they are much harder to prove. Here is another plane-inspired mod that would be cool for someone to test :

SinhaTech - Sinha Flexible Composite Surface Deturbulator
Quote:
Dr. Sumon K. Sinha has developed a Flexible Composite Surface Deturbulator (FCSD) tape, that effectively reduces drag from air flow over surfaces. Although development is proceeding, Dr. Sinha's deturbulator has already produced 20% better performance in aircraft test flights.
SinhaTech - Sinha Flexible Composite Surface Deturbulator
Quote:
Semi-Tractor-Trailer Rigs

A grant from the National Science Foundation has been awarded to investigate deturbulation of semitrailer rigs. Testing has been performed on a deturbulated 2004 Freightliner Columbia double-sleeper tractor pulling a Wabash 53-ft box semi-trailer. The mileage data was obtained independently by the trucking company during normal roundtrip operation with cargo between Baton Rouge, LA and Pensacola, FL. The following graph from driver records shows 4% better mileage for overall driving, including idling periods, and 5% improvement on the highway. The truck cpu gave 5.95 mpg normally versus 6.26 mpg when deturbulated for overall trip mileage. Since then, we have extended the treatment and preliminary data indicate 6.6 mpg or 10% better overall mileage. These test runs were performed in typically humid conditions indicating that the version 2 deturbulator is not adversely affected by humidity.
I don't think you can just "make it yourself" because the design tolerances are so small. Also, I feel like you need to have a PhD to know "where to put them".

This is also interesting to me because it is counter-intuitive. You normally *want* your surface to be rigid in relation to laminar flow (right?!?!?!?!). This gizmo-tape is designed to vibrate as you move (nano-turbulence?!?!?!).

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Reply  Post New Thread