Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2010, 06:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tank - '96 Ford Aspire 4 door
Team Ford
90 day: 46.75 mpg (US)
Any Ecomodding shops around?

I've been boucing around some ideas for what to do after I finish my education, and the idea of opening up an ecomodding shop keeps rolling around. I could build some fiberglass aero parts, work on AC/ power steering removal, WAIs, and other related projects, as well as hold fuel efficiency seminars for those interested in learning more.

Has anyone heard of an auto shop specializing in mods for fuel efficiency, or would I be driving onto uncharted roads?

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-16-2010, 06:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Geo - '93 Geo Metro
Team Metro
90 day: 45.16 mpg (US)
Mostly uncharted.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
If you ask around long enough someone will be willing to do ecomods if you tell them exactly what to do. Some might propose engine mods for better fuel economy. Or at least they believe those mods will help. Or they'll want you to believe.

Many shops specialize in performance mods, but could easily switch to ecomods, if they wanted to. But who's going to invest in something that gives less income than performance mods?

If anyone finds an ecomodding shop - let us know. If someone starts their own - Good Luck!!

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 07-17-2010, 06:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
NightKnight

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
Might be feasible if you address a broad spectrum... Not sure where in OR you are, but Portland is big on cycling, so potentially lightweight aero velomobile bodies might augment the ecomodding aspect while utilizing a similar skillset as building fiberglass (or other material) aero parts for cars.

As well, a shop that is familiar with EV / hybrid related technology would probably do well.

Trying to targeting the guys that own 15 - 20 year old cars (eg. metro, 5th gen civic, saturn) probably won't get you far as they most likely are pretty tight already and are also willing to do the work themselves (speaking for myself here).

So your target needs to be those that are looser with their money... eg. those that are willing to buy "leading edge" technology (ya, hybrids have been around a while already but they're a lot more leading edge than good 'ol ICE technology) and then want to show their "well off" buddies how much money they can save by converting their HEV to PHEV. This could include making FG/CF aero items for the more popular hybrids (and upcoming all-electric vehicles).

Potentially, you could also pick a good kit car or two, which are relatively aero and lightweight already, and be a builder for it. Offer various electric drive (or even diesel) options and augment the original body with your own "proven" aero improvements...

Regardless, a well done web presence should help you out quite a bit as well...

Reply  Post New Thread