Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2009, 04:53 PM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Yaris - '10 Toyota Yaris
90 day: 42.39 mpg (US)

Fiesta - '11 Ford Fiesta SE
I was wondering about the slant. IMHO it would seem that a rearward slant would be better than a forward one. The flat might be a middle of the road option but the easiest to pull off.

I do like the under body fairing but don't know how to make one that would survive a New England Winter. I have dragged the frame over a many a snow bank. Flexible airdam and side skirts are a must.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-08-2009, 09:24 PM   #22 (permalink)
Banned

Stickers - '91 Ford Tempo GL
Send a message via AIM to Hermie Send a message via MSN to Hermie Send a message via Yahoo to Hermie
Wow. Those actually look really good! XD (Better on the Volvo!)

I'm actually going to do that myself!
Old 08-08-2009, 10:17 PM   #23 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairdinkumfrankies View Post
I was wondering about the slant. IMHO it would seem that a rearward slant would be better than a forward one. The flat might be a middle of the road option but the easiest to pull off.

I do like the under body fairing but don't know how to make one that would survive a New England Winter. I have dragged the frame over a many a snow bank. Flexible airdam and side skirts are a must.

Try an alunimun reinforced belly pan a'la someone on this site whose name I don't currently recall. Search "belly pan build" and you might find it.

Old 08-09-2009, 01:35 AM   #24 (permalink)
Banned

Stickers - '91 Ford Tempo GL
Send a message via AIM to Hermie Send a message via MSN to Hermie Send a message via Yahoo to Hermie
About the slant: A rearward-leaning air dam would force air downwards, resulting in lift. Not good.

A forward-leaning air dam will force air upwards, result in downforce. Good.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Push air up, you go down. Push air down, you go up.

With a flat air dam, some air would be pushed down, if the bumper above the dam sticks out farther than the dam itself, because air flowing upwards would be stopped by the bumper. More air would flow to the sides than anything, though.

Reply  Post New Thread