Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Saving@Home
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2010, 09:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Low Roller - '94 Honda Civic VX
90 day: 52.85 mpg (US)
Any insulation questions??

I have been working for the last 8 months installing insulation/air sealing, and troubleshooting home performance problems. I know about attic airsealing, blowing cellulose insulation, basement/foundation and rim joist insulation/airsealing, dense packing wall cavities, etc. I am not an expert but could offer general advice for do it yourselfers. I will have a little bit of time over the next few weeks to answer some questions, if people have them.
thanks,
James

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-09-2010, 11:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
I need to insulate under a floor that is going to get electric radiant heat, I was thinking reflecix with cellulose under it... anything better I can do?
Old 01-11-2010, 09:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mater - '98 Dodge 3500 Dually

Wilber - '99 Toyota Corolla LX

Minyatta - '93 Mazda Miata MX-5
I put a kitchen addition on the back of my house a few years back & everything was going great until my wife decided that we had to have the house pressure washed last summer. Now I have water leaks. The rest of the house is fine. I'm trying to keep the snow off the affected area as best I can.

I flashed it in the traditional method, other sections that I've done have no problems. In the spring, what can I do to seal this up?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 01-11-2010, 12:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Is it leaking around windows or doors, or is it leaking in the middle of the wall?
I would start by looking at the siding. What kind of siding is it? If it is vinyl or alum. it could be that the joints where the siding slips together have come apart. If it is wood siding, a little strategically placed caulk might fix it. Are there gutters, if so what condition, and do they drip along this wall? What kind of sheathing is installed? Does wind blow a lot of rain against this wall or is it leaking from above?
Hopefully you won't have to take all of the siding off, but if you do, you could put down tyvek or 1/2 in foam board and tape all of the seams.
Keep in mind that I am not a seasoned contractor...I have just done this work for 9 months and am still learning all of the ins and outs myself.
good luck,
James
Old 01-11-2010, 12:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ryland,
I think that reflectix would be a good bet, since it will reflect the radiant heat back into the room. Just check that the max temp of the radiant lines won't melt the plastic on the reflectix. If you put plywood across the joists, then you can dense pack the cavities with cellulose, but I would be really careful to make sure that the radiant lines are completely separated from the cavities of cellulose. When you dense pack cavities with cellulose, the little particles find their way through every little hole and fill nearly every possible cavity they can get to. You wouldnt want any insulation near the radiant lines. Because of this it might make more sense to do fiberglass(as much as I hate it) or foam board or thermax (check your local codes), and foam around the edges of the board to airseal it. Is the space below within the thermal boundary or out?
What happened to your vx?
-James
Old 01-11-2010, 02:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Is it leaking around windows or doors, or is it leaking in the middle of the wall?
I would start by looking at the siding. What kind of siding is it? If it is vinyl or alum. it could be that the joints where the siding slips together have come apart. If it is wood siding, a little strategically placed caulk might fix it. Are there gutters, if so what condition, and do they drip along this wall? What kind of sheathing is installed? Does wind blow a lot of rain against this wall or is it leaking from above?
Hopefully you won't have to take all of the siding off, but if you do, you could put down tyvek or 1/2 in foam board and tape all of the seams.
Keep in mind that I am not a seasoned contractor...I have just done this work for 9 months and am still learning all of the ins and outs myself.
good luck,
James
Hi James,

You gave me a lot to think about. When I put the room on I left th original siding, put foam board over that & then flashed in the shingles. Once that was done, vinal siding over that.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 01-11-2010, 07:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

It seems unusual that a wall with so many seemless layers would be leaking. I would try and target where it is leaking and take the siding off in that area to find out what is going on.
-J
Old 01-12-2010, 09:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Seems like a plan. My next concern is I have a metal peak roof vent. I need to find a hook ladder!

What can I use to seal it, plastic roof cement?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 01-13-2010, 08:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

If you can find some leaks in the attic, you can measure the distance from a chimney, vent pipe, etc, to the leak and then climb up top and seal everything you see in that general area. That may not fix it forever, but is a temporary solution. If you are talking about sealing the ridgeline vent in the attic, I would leave it. ventilation is good in an attic to prevent mold. I would seal all electrical penetrations, plumbing stacks, etc with spray foam, being careful not to put any flammable/non code compliant materials near any sources of heat (chimneys, recessed (can) lights). Also building an insulated and weatherstripped attic hatch can make a house a lot less leaky.
-James
Old 06-15-2010, 01:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hi, I don't know if the OP is still watching but hopefully this is a good place for a question... I'm looking for some advice on insulation. I have a single-story house with a hip roof. I installed a condensing gas furnace which lowered my heating costs somewhat but judging by the amount of ice that accumulates around the edges of the roof during the winter it could probably be better. Currently, in the attic it looks like there is a modest layer of cellulose insulation with sheets of cardboard laying over it. My first thought was to spray a bunch more of that stuff in there but I heard that it can create problems with trapped moisture. Thoughts anyone? tia.

Reply  Post New Thread