Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2013, 06:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
My main reason would be rust, before you buy it check the frame around the front suspension!
I would also opt for not buying one because of age and I don't really like driving Geo Metro's while Honda's are a much much more comfortable car with a solid feel to them.

I'd look at a Honda Insight because they are reaching the bottom of their value right now and they will not rust out, all of the Honda Insights around here still look brand new while all of the Geo Metros around here are loosing chunks of rust as they drive down the road, it will take an extra year or so for it to pay for it's self but I think it would be worth it in the long run.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-06-2013, 06:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Around here there are many more Civic HXes than VXes and the highest listing price that I have seen for a HX was $3,500, but I would hope that you would try to negotiate down.

I have a Forester and it is a great car, I just was not able to find something more economical and after a year, I think that it is time. I have made many posts on here about looking for HXes, but having called about four, seeing two, and test driving and making an offer on one, I am waiting until finals are over!

The HX does not get as good mileage as the VX, it is rated 31/39 instead of 37/45, so it would cost you 15% more to drive, but being a larger car with a trunk, you might not need to keep the Outback, and then you would be saving more!

I will point out that if you really want to ecomod, you can easily put a Kammback on a VX and presumably a boat-tail, but it is much more difficult with a sedan. Basically, your attachment options are duct tape or something permanent.

Whatever you choose, good luck, and please keep us posted!
Old 05-06-2013, 09:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Rufus - '00 Mercedes E320 Wagon

Scronk - '05 Subaru Legacy Outback Base

Sir Movesalot - '03 Mazda MPV ES
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Around here there are many more Civic HXes than VXes and the highest listing price that I have seen for a HX was $3,500, but I would hope that you would try to negotiate down.

I have a Forester and it is a great car, I just was not able to find something more economical and after a year, I think that it is time. I have made many posts on here about looking for HXes, but having called about four, seeing two, and test driving and making an offer on one, I am waiting until finals are over!

The HX does not get as good mileage as the VX, it is rated 31/39 instead of 37/45, so it would cost you 15% more to drive, but being a larger car with a trunk, you might not need to keep the Outback, and then you would be saving more!

I will point out that if you really want to ecomod, you can easily put a Kammback on a VX and presumably a boat-tail, but it is much more difficult with a sedan. Basically, your attachment options are duct tape or something permanent.

Whatever you choose, good luck, and please keep us posted!
Even if I do get rid of the Outback, that leaves me with a Mazda MPV and a Mercedes E320 wagon. I have more grocery-getters than any sane person needs. Therefore, I have no reason to compromise on purchasing something that is designed for anything more than sheer MPG.

For my dollar, the Metro XFI, Civic VX, and CRX HF rank at the top. I've seen a few CAN-spec diesel Smarts and a few 1st-gen Insights that I'd rather have, but they're out of budget right now.

To fill in part of the story: I went to school for biofuel production and I'm rather passionate about biodiesel. An early diesel Rabbit or an A2 diesel Golf are also vying for attention on my "want list". My mother works as a dealer representative in the auto auction industry, so I can put a call out to watch for a certain car if I know that's what I want.

I appreciate all the input and opinions, I really do. I feel like I want an XFI and I'm calling on you all to play Devil's Advocate. So far you're doing a good job.

Thanks!
Old 05-06-2013, 09:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Rusty crusty trusty - '94 Honda Civic Cx
90 day: 36.13 mpg (US)

Vx - '92 Honda Civic Vx
90 day: 49.97 mpg (US)
Don't forget the mentioned civic cx no lean burn but it'll do 40 plus with no mods. Actually a good running cx will net better mpg than a poor running vx. The hx has more creature comforts like ac and power windows that's why mpg ratings are lower. You can find cx and vx that have ac. they are one step nice than a geo. Good luck.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Just test drive a Honda before you buy a Geo

Rust will be on either one, but the Geo's rust is much more likely to be dangerous.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sven7 For This Useful Post:
ErrForce (05-06-2013)
Old 05-06-2013, 09:46 PM   #16 (permalink)
5 Gears of Fury

Spunky - '90 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 35.56 mpg (US)
If your mom is in the auction business, she's going to be able to find you something for cheaper than you'll find on the street, it just might take a while. In 14 years I never saw a first gen Insight go through, then I saw 2 in 2 weeks lol. As for diesel Smart cars, we looked into shipping them south but they won't meet US emissions standards, at least in the states around here. Too bad, they are dirt cheap in eastern Canada ($5000 for a low mile 2006 wholesale cheap). And to me personally, I like driving them better than a Metro. In fact I like driving pretty much any eco car more than I like driving a Metro, but they are hard to beat if you are only interested in bang for buck high fuel economy. Though I would take my rat bagged, rusted out '92 VX with 220k miles over the mint 2000 Firefly 1.0L with 73k miles I had any day of the week if my daily commute included hilly, curvy roads and any stretches of highway. If you are spending that much time driving everyday, you might as well get some enjoyment out of it, and a Civic, CRX, or 1st gen Insight is just plain fun to drive compared to a Metro.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:51 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Aerofocus (retired) - '00 Ford Focus ZX3
90 day: 44.66 mpg (US)

The Red Baron (sold) - '93 Geo Metro
90 day: 44.1 mpg (US)
Here's what I'm doing.

I bought a 1993 geo metro XFi rust free with known mechanical problems. I'm putting about $3000 total into it and rebuilding just about everything on the car. I'm going to completely strip the car down and fix/clean everything. It will be like a new car when I'm done.

A geo metro is about the only car that you can do this on with your budget. Civic VX or HF might be had that doesn't need all that work, but it won't be like brand new.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:03 PM   #18 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Why not get the Karma?

Old 05-06-2013, 10:03 PM   #19 (permalink)
herp derp Apprentice

Saturn-sold - '99 saturn sc1
Team Saturn
90 day: 28.28 mpg (US)

Yukon - '03 GMC Yukon Denali
90 day: 13.74 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post
I'll tell you this. If you are driving a Geo Metro on twisty mountain roads you're going to want to drive it off a cliff just so you don't have to live with its lifeless steering and complete lack of driving joy. Seriously, you'll wonder if the steering wheel is actually connected to the tie rods.
But how much fun would it really be to drive a ferrari the speed limit? Lifeless steering on mountain roads sounds like some good white knuckle driving though!
Old 05-06-2013, 10:09 PM   #20 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
I disagree with the assessments that Metros suck to drive, but then I haven't ever attempted to drive fast with one on any winding roads either... which, if a guy is trying to commute to work economically, ISN'T A FACTOR.

First thing that came to mind was Aeromodder's dopey claims of Tempo's becoming airborne at highway speeds due to lift; problem was he was driving a P.O.S. that left a trail of parts on the road. Of course when there are suspension and/or tire issues the car is not going to be fun to drive. They are all old cars now and so there will be worn out parts. Put it all in good working order and get back to me.

Last edited by Frank Lee; 05-06-2013 at 10:20 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
askingforit, geo, insight, metro, xfi