Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2012, 08:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Rodney - '00 Plymouth Neon Base
90 day: 33.05 mpg (US)

Tojo - '99 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 34.99 mpg (US)
Anybody with a Dodge Neon look inside

I have a 2000 Plymouth Neon. It has about 130,000 miles on it , but runs like a champ (I had the valve cover off, and I think the engine has been changed). Anyway, I have already adjusted the nut behind the wheel and have done the basics like, aired up tires, grill block, scangauge, lower valence (isn't lawn edging GREAT?) and put in some side gapped spark plugs. I am currently getting north of 40MPG without doing much drafting nor p&g (I am trying to drive like a normal sane person and still get good fuel economy).

Has anyone tried a warm air intake on a Neon and what was your results?

Does anyone else have a problem with the SCANGAUGE not showing the IAT on a Chrysler?

My SG does not show the IAT (it is just blank, but it does read it in my other vehicles), and I feel that is an important piece of info to have while experimenting with a warm air intake.

Also, any input on other known good mods for a Neon would be appreciated. I have searched lots of stuff and will try a Kammback and maybe a Bonneville style spoiler, but any other input will be appreciated.
Thanks for your time.
Ottis

Goal is 47 MPG

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-03-2012, 11:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Frogger - '00 Honda Insight Gas Only (unHybrid)
90 day: 68.51 mpg (US)
I have a 2003. I have quite a few performance mods done (magnum intake, magnum header, underdrive pulley, exhaust system, etc.) but best I could do is 39.2 to date (mostly stop and go city driving in a small town).

My SG shows IAT just fine, never had an issue w/ that... not sure what would cause yours not to show outside something up with your sensor (but 2000 was a transitional year, so who knows).

I haven't played with the intake configuration much, but with a cone filter right off the throttle body (no stock box style setup, just open to the engine bay), it still seems to be pretty ambient temps pulling in while in motion, but sitting at a stop for a bit can creep up.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dohcsvt View Post
Has anyone tried a warm air intake on a Neon and what was your results?
Seems MAF-equipped cars do not benefit from a WAI but MAP-only cars do. Which is your 2000 Neon?
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 06-03-2012, 12:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
All Neons came from the factory with speed-density (MAP/IAT) engine controls.

Not entirely sure why the OP's IAT did not show up in his ScanGauge. However, it may well be due to the fact that 2000 was the first model year for the 2G Neon. I once attempted to graft a trip computer from a Sebring onto my Neon, and the result actually worked pretty well... Except for the fact that the engine computer didn't output whatever fuel information needed to make MPG calculations. Oooops.

Reply  Post New Thread