Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2008, 01:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Nomadic Chicken

Anyone ever try this?

1: Fixing a dead battery using wine

2: Hack a or a or a 6volt lantern battery??

3:

Now, since you're in the lounge looking to waste time, which ones are real?

Last edited by WaxyChicken; 01-18-2008 at 01:11 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-17-2008, 09:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
That VX guy!

The VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Send a message via AIM to TomO Send a message via Yahoo to TomO
I know the battery hacks are real. In fact I'm going out to go get a 6V lantern battery today.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

CPT SLO - '93 GEO Metro plainjane
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

SilverHairBeauty - '01 Toyota Avalon XL
90 day: 24.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to metroschultz
Question "fixing" batteries?

I never thought of "fixing " a car battery with wine. However you can buy battery acid to top off your battery with. It is very hard to find. And I may have, once a long time ago in a place far far away, topped off a battery in my 1973 Dodge van with vinegar. Don't tell any body. I sold it that day.
Yes adding a small amount of pure.(or diluted) acid to your cars battery will give it a boost. BUT.
It will also kill it.
Those batteries are designed for a certain concentration of a certain type of acid. This keeps the electrons flowing at a prescribed rate. When the battery is already almost dead, and you need a boost, adding more acid to the mix will push it beyond its limits. You can start your car. Yes. Now go to the auto parts store and buy a new battery. Your car will not start tomorrow.

As far as cutting up other batteries for new smaller ones. Buy A/C adapters and be done with all those little batteries anyway.

I buy small batteries at Christmas for the Krap my Grandson gets and then I tell his mom to go get the adapters for those toys. (I keep all the old adapters from stuff that has died over the years so I probly have one in the box in the garage.)
S.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.
Albert Einstein
Old 01-17-2008, 03:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
I h8 when people say "burn water." It's not burning water, damnit. That would be like putting some dirty unrefined uranium in a reactor and expecting to to work. There's an in between step, but all these annoying internet kiddies like to say inflamatory things to try and make others look stupid to prop up their own flimsy egos.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
That VX guy!

So I got my 6V Energizer Lantern battery and hacked it apart.....it contained 4 cells with roughly the diameter of the D cell batteries and twice the length....makes sense to have 4 1.5V cells to equal 6V. At least I can use these cells to calibrate my lean burn monitors.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Nomadic Chicken

Tomo, i herd it has something to do with the brand and country. eg- hacking a 9volt everready supposed to give you 4 "AAAA" batteries (not AA batteries), but other brands may give you something else. I wonder what kind of batteries those 4 "Long D" cells you found are - if they are categorized.

the "burn water" vid is a fake. He's using vodka or something. Although dropping batteries in water and leaving them does allow you to see bubbles of oxy and hydro after about 20 or 30 mins, the hydrogen and oxygen escapes or fails to saturate the water enough to actually get a burning surface. (i tried it. batteries will erode and rust but mine didn't leak.)

and i never gave my car liquor. It just makes me afraid that it might doze off while i fall asleep and leave my car at the wheel.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
That VX guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxyChicken View Post
Tomo, i herd it has something to do with the brand and country. eg- hacking a 9volt everready supposed to give you 4 "AAAA" batteries (not AA batteries), but other brands may give you something else. I wonder what kind of batteries those 4 "Long D" cells you found are - if they are categorized.
well, for records sake, it seems that the "32 AA" from the 6 volt is a hoax, at least for the US. As far as a use for the "long D" cells, if you have a Maglight flashlight (the D cell one) you can use these "long D" cells as a cheaper replacement.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
nut

Metro XFi - '93 Geo Metro XFi Convertible
90 day: 62.17 mpg (US)

DR650SE - '07 Suzuki DR650SE
90 day: 55.26 mpg (US)
Send a message via MSN to Coyote X
Best way I have found to keep a car battery alive is to use a high frequency trickle charger on it. I found one somewhere once years ago that has a large + pulse then a small - pulse. It breaks up the sulfation in the battery really well. I have had batteries that were laying around here dead for years and filled them up with distilled water, left that charger on them for a few weeks and they work fine after that. As long as they haven't froze and the plates warped they usually come back to life.

The battery in my jeep is 12 years old and it was a 48 month battery, starts as good as the day it was new.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
Nomadic Chicken

^now THAT is useful information!
Old 01-18-2008, 12:50 AM   #10 (permalink)
That VX guy!

Yeah, I need to save up and get one of those desulfation chargers for my summer hobby. I work on Golf Carts of all kinds during the summer months and I know many people would like me to "refresh" their batteries on the electric carts.

Reply  Post New Thread