Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2011, 06:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Anyone have more info on this trike (boomerang 3wheel cruiser)

150cc 4 Stroke Moped

Just saw these today, was looking into trikes instead of motorcycles or scooters just due to me feeling safer (if it is or isn't idk but that's how I feel lol). I'm Looking for something to drive around sacramento in, going to school and other small things. My mini cooper get 35-40mpg around town, just looking for somethin new, different, possibly more fun but most importantly better on gas. Couldn't find mpg number for this though..

Last thing, anyone know if this would require a drivers license or motorcycle license?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-31-2011, 08:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Motorcycle, with exceptions. Some states allow a cc limit before you nd a motorcycle license.. In PA, that would be legal on a class c. Larger 3 wheelers have their own endorsement in pa, that you can get so that you can specifically operate a trike without having an actual mc license.

The Following User Says Thank You to Christ For This Useful Post:
nemix (06-01-2011)
Old 05-31-2011, 10:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Unless I read the advertisement incorrectly, it looked like this product is meant for the Canadian market. I would love the freedom of its road legal status here. I have to skeptical though; it sounds too easy, especially for a state like CA. to think that progressive now unless deals were made.

Here in WA. state, if I'm correct; one must first have a motorcycle license, and on top of that pay about $120.00 and complete a new class that they came up with regarding the different handling character issues of Trikes!!
The Following User Says Thank You to larrybuck For This Useful Post:
nemix (06-01-2011)
Old 05-31-2011, 11:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Just took a look at dmvs site, since this goes over 20mph in california I need an m1 license.

Looked at some other trikes with steering wheels that were 1 seaters (only 40 pounds light) that stated they got up to 90 mpg with the same ize 150cc engine. If thats exagerated which it probably is (say it gets 70-75?) Then this should b getting in the 60s atleast right?
Old 06-01-2011, 10:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hmmmm idk if anyones bought from that company butim finding a lot of bad reviews now

Complaints Board | saferwholesale.com
Old 06-10-2011, 10:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Hal
EcoModding Lurker

Piaggio makes some - Piaggio Scooters :: PScooters :: MP3.cfm. I have seen a few in my commuting and thier owners seem to enjoy them immensely
Old 10-11-2011, 10:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

This would be a great ELECTRIC vehicle!

I wonder if this could be made with an electric scooter... I'm sure it would have to be a top-of-the-line one... but I wonder if it would be a way to have an under $5000 NEV!

P.S. I just started a site to get an NEV company started by retrofitting used golf cars to street legal status... it's an idea that could get everyone out of work (or with PT work like me) to get a Nationwide Dealership going - on the cheap! The site is: CityElectricVehicles.com (and I'm offering FREE dealerships!)
Old 10-19-2011, 06:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemix View Post
Just took a look at dmvs site, since this goes over 20mph in california I need an m1 license.

Looked at some other trikes with steering wheels that were 1 seaters (only 40 pounds light) that stated they got up to 90 mpg with the same ize 150cc engine. If thats exagerated which it probably is (say it gets 70-75?) Then this should b getting in the 60s atleast right?
Trikes("motorcycles with 3 wheels") in California fall under Class C. No M1/M2 required.
California Driver Handbook - License Classes

Although I would note that the third wheel MUST "act as separate wheel".

Your example most definitely qualifies of course, just a warning since some folks a few decades ago tried to get away with bolting 2 wheels together and shoving them where 1 wheel goes. Which, lol, doesn't cut it. Since it is functionally one wheel.

Theres actually a fairly significant number of conversions to trikes in this state due to the lesser license requirements XD... (And lack of smog requirements...)

<.< I think they do the 3 wheels=class C because our driving test would be literally impossible with 99.9% of trikes. I mean quite literally, physically, impossible.
(I think the Piaggio MP3 might be able to even FEASIBLY complete it... But it would be hard. Only example I can think of of a trike that can fit in that small a space...)

Oh! And last I checked a Motorcycle with a sidecar(that has a wheel, as most do) counts too. Pointed out specifically previously. Probably still is in the full legal text.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding spendthrift

WindedWarrior - '12 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 33.46 mpg (US)
I dont understand why people are afraid to get a motorcycle licence. I've had one since I was 15. It's not a difficult task. You'll probably learn something useful. In my class I learned how to jump a crate at highway speed. It was worth the investment. Plus it gets me out of tickets.

"May the wind always be at your back and the sun always upon your face. May the wings of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars."
~ Boston George
Old 11-11-2011, 06:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonSellsAustin View Post
I dont understand why people are afraid to get a motorcycle licence. I've had one since I was 15. It's not a difficult task. You'll probably learn something useful. In my class I learned how to jump a crate at highway speed. It was worth the investment. Plus it gets me out of tickets.
I find said a bit silly too, I was just mentioning things Ive observed in the state of the crazy(California. XD We are so. It has its good and bad. Sometimes were often proud of it even.)

But the reason for trikes bypassing M1/M2 is not to make it easier, but as I noted that it is impossible to take the test in Cali with most trikes.
This is because most trikes are wider than the space between the two lines you are required to stay between. XD Nothing quite like physical improbabilities and all that.

Reply  Post New Thread