Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2014, 12:36 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Civic DX (sold) - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 34.15 mpg (US)

GTO (sold) - '04 Pontiac GTO
90 day: 22.62 mpg (US)

Green Brick (sold) - '06 Ford Escape Hybrid
90 day: 31.93 mpg (US)
I probably should have posted a little more background information.
I'm currently in the Army, stationed in El Paso, TX. I have about 1.5 years left until my enlistment is over. We live in on post housing that costs the full housing allowance (most people living off post tend to pay a few hundred less than the housing allowance for their rent and get to pocket the rest). We don't intend on staying here after I get out of the Army. We don't have the time, space, or money to build a tiny house right now (would finance RV and pay if off before getting out).

Our motivation for living in an RV is a little bit of everything, reduced costs, minimalism, having a living space that we own, etc. We would be staying in an RV park for the rest of the time in Texas. I would like to buy land to park it on eventually. Travelling in it full time doesn't appeal to me.

The RV park that is closest to both of our jobs has a 6 month stay limit that needs to be followed by 7 nights away before returning. That is a big reason I want to be able to move it myself.

We don't plan on keeping the RV stock, but we won't be going all out on upgrades, either. I would like to add better insulation if possible and other energy saving improvements to hopefully keep the AC from having to run all summer. A full or at least apartment/dorm size fridge would be nice to add. I've considered a toy hauler because they're generally just a kitchen and bathroom up front with a big empty area in back that could be configured as we please.

larrybuck, were either of your trailers "four season"? I think a skirt would be enough to keep the tanks from freezing in El Paso, but I would like to help the AC out during the looong summer here. Also, slide outs, yay or nay?

Camry Thread
E-Bike Thread

Last edited by vskid3; 12-30-2014 at 12:43 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-30-2014, 02:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

On FYI they have a program called Tiny Home Nation. Saw one that was 200 sq ft. Think I might be able to swing it. I just dont like the bedroom in the loft and the bathroom or at least toilet being down a ladder. Maybe I could get a urinal in my loft?

Yeah, Id want a trailer mounted one too so it could be towed to a new site and equipped with solar panels, solar heat and some battery capacity. I have a washer/dryer and did the laundry mat thing. I think its cheaper to do the laundra mat thing.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:50 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

We (wife, I & our Springerdor) live in what you could describe as a tiny house here in the UK, my garage has a bigger floorplan! Downstairs is living room & attatched kitchen, 1st floor bedroom & a bathroom, 2nd floor attic room & a conservatory. Ample room, in fact we don't use much of the space for living in.

I've since added a conservatory, we have a huge garden though!

Kermit the Lupo 3L 1.2 Tdi with a current mpg record of 114mpg (imperial) Now sold

G1 JDM Insight I hate the ride but love the quirkiness
Old 12-30-2014, 02:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

My current trailer: the Holiday Rambler Alumilite has the Alaska insulation package which helps immensely to keep you warmer in winter, cooler in summer.
My trailer is conventional hitch, not a 5th wheel. I can easily tow w my suburban.
It is still very roomy for me living alone, because of the dining room slideout.
Since there are just 2 of you, plus the dogs, a non 5th wheel may be adequate.
Buy quality, get new enough as many parks have year requirements for how old it can be.
I got my '97 1 1/2 years ago for $7,500. in very nice condition. Almost any veh. with a hitch can pull it. I am set here but my vintage very close to some parks cutoff point.

Get as many slideouts as you can. You don't want to feel like a bug living in a jar.
Many parks have goofy rules. Mine doesn't allow skirting because it looks too permanent!

Some brand new trailers are so fancy that they are set up for 50amp use. Most parks are not anywhere near that any usually are 30 amp max.

It takes some extra thinking but do able. When I cook in the microwave, I temporarily turn down the heater to its lowest setting, plus turn the hot water heater off, just until my tater is done! (smile) You can do very well, cheaply, w some thinking, and patience. Just do your homework to get one already well insulated. I sure hope that this helps you some.
06 Chev MonteC JG#24tribute car 30mpg 00 Honda Insight 63MPG 98 Buick Park Ave3.8 33MPG 89 Toyota Corolla wag 53MPG so far 81 VW Rabbit diesel pu 50MPG+ 80 Mercedes 240D stick 30-ish 90 vette 6-speed,29ish 07 Honda ST1300 55MPG 83 Honda 650 GL 64MPG 19 Suzuki dr200 88MPG23 HondaGrom?+Tow K10D Sub 26mpg NEVER,NEVER GIVE UP!
PUMP THOSE TIRES UP!
DRIVE IN YOUR SOCKS FOR SENSITIVITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SLOW DOWN AND SMOOTH UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![SIGPIC]
Old 12-30-2014, 06:52 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
I just dont like the bedroom in the loft and the bathroom or at least toilet being down a ladder.

I think its cheaper to do the laundra mat thing.
There are numerous ways to have a one floor tiny house .. convertible couch beds ... or beds that slide out of the way when not in use .. etc... I'm am not intending on a sleeping loft for mine.

From what I've seen some of the most 'livable' tiny house spaces make good use of multi-use spaces and items ... for example: the square foot of the bedroom is not dead-space the other ~16 hrs of the day that you are not sleeping .. etc.

As for the Laundry mat .. depends on what you pay (of course) .. It currently costs me about ~$3.50 per load (wash+dry) of laundry I do at the local laundry mat .. with about ~75 loads per year .. it will take about ~2 years for a combination washer-drier to 'pay for itself'... than it is just cheaper after that ... plus the convenience as a 'free' bonus.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:06 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ive always wondered why the smaller homes have such a high celling? I guess that is for building code? Maybe I could rig up a winch lift chair to raise and lower me for my night time trips? Maybe a firemans/stripper pole for quick access down stairs, then some offset stairs to go back up?

I like the loft idea as it seems to make great use of wasted space with an A roof ceiling.

Of course plan b is the camper trailer. They arent that bad even new in relation to prices. Some of those mini homes people want a smuch as a real home.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:49 AM   #17 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Quote:
Some of those mini homes people want a smuch as a real home.
That's like complaining that some of the small car makers want as much as a real car.

It is a real house. A custom house, built to very specific criteria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 12-31-2014, 10:39 AM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Yeah, smaller cars should be cheaper. Smaller food portions are cheaper than larger. A pack of cigarettes is cheaper than a carton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
That's like complaining that some of the small car makers want as much as a real car.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:50 PM   #19 (permalink)
Just cruisin’ along

Beater Echo - '00 Toyota Echo
90 day: 42.67 mpg (US)

Hondizzle - '97 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.55 mpg (US)

Shaggin Waggin - '14 Chrysler Town + Country
90 day: 22.56 mpg (US)
I live in one unit in a duplex. Not very big.

I've always wanted a small, but well-appointed house, I grew up in a 1650sq ft house, and that's the size which still feels comfortable. Eliminate the rather useless parlor it had up front, and I could do 12-1400sq. Ft. I also like the shipping container homes, or if I were to go big, a converted warehouse.

My wife, on the other hand, is traumatized from growing up largely in 1-bedroom apartments for a family of 5, so she wants a McMansion.

As long as it has a nice midcentury modern feel, I'm very happy.

'97 Honda Civic DX Coupe 5MT - dead 2/23
'00 Echo - dead 2/17
'14 Chrysler Town + Country - My DD, for now
'67 Mustang Convertible - gone 1/17
Old 12-31-2014, 02:33 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Civic DX (sold) - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 34.15 mpg (US)

GTO (sold) - '04 Pontiac GTO
90 day: 22.62 mpg (US)

Green Brick (sold) - '06 Ford Escape Hybrid
90 day: 31.93 mpg (US)
Quote:
Ive always wondered why the smaller homes have such a high celling?
Probably to make the space seem bigger.

I understand muiti-use areas, but I think the bed is one thing that will have to be single use for us. My wife's back is much happier on our Tempurpedic mattress and I don't think the warranty would be valid if I cut it into couch cushions.

I found this trailer at a local dealer. Used 2014 Palomino Puma 30RKSS Travel Trailer For Sale - Camping World RV Sales - El Paso We love the layout. Only thing we would really change is removing the chairs by the door and adding some kind of storage in their place. We're going to try to see it today and see if they have any with a similar layout, rear kitchen seems like the best way to get a decent size kitchen. It is more than we were hoping to spend, we'll have to see how it feels compared to other trailers (we mainly looked at motorhomes the last time we went).

larrybuck, have you had any issues with slide outs leaking? That seems to be a commonly cited reason to avoid them. How have your trailers held up to daily use? My dad thinks everything will wear out much faster than in a regular house.

Camry Thread
E-Bike Thread
Reply  Post New Thread