Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Saving@Home
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2024, 05:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Anyone making fuel @home?

Just wondering if anyone here is distilling methanol or ethanol or doing plastic pyrolosis @ home?
Other methods?

A quick search shows it does seem to be happening:

fuel from solar methanol ethanol at home diy
https://www.google.com/search?q=fuel...t=gws-wiz-serp

diy plastic pyrolosis using solar
https://www.google.com/search?q=diy+...t=gws-wiz-serp

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-24-2024, 11:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Y2kbug

1999 corolla - '99 Toyota Corolla Ce
90 day: 47.1 mpg (US)

03 dakota v6 2wd auto - '03 Dodge Dakota
Last 3: 20.8 mpg (US)

98 s10 - '99 Gmc S10
Its something that interests me but i know nothing about. Id like to try making some kind of fuel one day but right now is not a good time for me
Your post reminded me of this video so i wanted to share it.
The Following User Says Thank You to y2kbug For This Useful Post:
Logic (09-24-2024)
Old 09-25-2024, 01:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kbug View Post
Its something that interests me but i know nothing about. Id like to try making some kind of fuel one day but right now is not a good time for me
Your post reminded me of this video so i wanted to share it.
Yes, the pyrolysis of tires is basically the same as that of plastics.

Unless the heat comes from solar, or you have very cheap electricity this is a non starter IMHO..?

Exceptions:
Stationary engines like gensets where most to all the pyrolysis heat is the exhaust heat that's normally wasted.

Its also way easier to load and seal a slug of compressed plastic into the exhaust of a cold engine.
I suppose 2 exhausts with a valve is feasible for 24/7 use.

A mobile 'in car' system where the gas is not condensed but sent to the intake as is, is a possibility.
IIRC In large amounts; the uncondensed gas does not have the octane rating required for spark ignition and would result in knock.

Such may work here in Africa for 'The Majority', but I cant see 1st worlders (Am I still one?) dumpster diving for plastics and then shoving them into a hot compartment in the exhaust before sealing it up. and driving on.
Here plastics line what used to be the streets and people have no qualms about dumpster diving. (or even taking a public dump on the pavement for that matter)

It would actually be a good way to clean things up a bit, but govt is NOT interested in losing the levies and taxes they get/steal on each liter of fuel sold.
Old 09-25-2024, 03:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,166 Times in 1,030 Posts
I dunno does vacuum distilling beer count? Perhaps a gallon of methanol ethanol mix per 6 gal batch beer, for me it's a discard even if its near 100%. Kills weeds mighty fine.

Also can do the waste veggie oil conversion to biodiesel, but unless it's more than 5 gallons, not worth my time
Old 09-26-2024, 06:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
I dunno does vacuum distilling beer count? Perhaps a gallon of methanol ethanol mix per 6 gal batch beer, for me it's a discard even if its near 100%.
Yes! Yes it does.
Unless the pump fuel is already diluted with alcohol where you are. Then I don't know what adding more would do..?
Old Today, 12:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,483 Posts
Most cars and even some motorcycles in my country are flexfuel nowadays, so it would be a no-brainer to homebrew ethanol if I lived in a place suitable to grow some crops with a high carbohydrate content. I also lurked about biogas, but it would be easier for stationary applications.

As far as pyrolisis goes, I guess you know about those gasifiers, fed either with coal or wood, which were fairly popular during WWII.
Old Today, 10:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,166 Times in 1,030 Posts
Yeast likes sugar better (more efficient conversion, higher alcohol content) 2.5 kilo sacks of sugar are easy to come by at the store. It is cheaper to buy it pre distilled and bottled particularly if you can bulk transport and store, cheaper still if you tolerate water and other contaminants.