Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2013, 09:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Jeep - '07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
90 day: 27.3 mpg (US)
Any SUV Drivers Here?

I drive a 2007 Jeep GC CRD, and I'm just curious to see if anyone else here takes FE seriously in an SUV. So far I've just made driving habit adjustments along with tire pressure bumps and synthetic oil, and I've seen nice improvements in FE lately. I'm considering trying a grille block for some aero improvements and also quicker times to operating temps. My best tank is 27.62, but I might get to 28 on this current tank. What are my fellow SUV drivers up to?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-29-2013, 11:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Always Too Busy

White Lightning - '17 Nissan Leaf SV
Team Leaf
90 day: 159.47 mpg (US)
Welcome to the forums: If you go to the garage, you can search by make, model and year to see what other drivers are doing. I'd look up some comparable vehicles from other brands: Nissan Pathfinders, Ford Explorers, Chevy Blazers and the like. That'd be a good starting point for comparisons.

Does your vehicle have an FE computer in it? A gauge (Scangauge or Ultragauge) will do wonders for you. 27MPG is not bad at all, congratulations on where you are now. Good luck!

~Matt

Current Car: White Lightning

----------------------------------------------

Retired Car: Betty White
Old 11-29-2013, 11:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hey thanks. I'll browse through the garage when I get some free time.

I just keep a close eye on the factory instrumentation, but it only displays an average economy readout. I hand calculate each fill up to a fairly accurate log. I understand that does nothing for me to determine FE in each driving condition, tho. I would like to keep mods cheap and simple for now as I would like to get a car to dedicate to my daily commute and FE goals in spring time.. But for now I will have fun with the Jeep.
Old 11-29-2013, 01:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Jimmy - '00 GMC Jimmy SLT
90 day: 21.18 mpg (US)

The White Gnat - '99 Suzuki Swift
Team Suzuki
90 day: 51.87 mpg (US)
I found that blocking the grille gave me another 2 mpg in my 2000 GMC Jimmy. Removing the roof rack gave me another 0.4 mpg. In my case, it's only 4 screws holding the roof rack on, and I practically NEVER used it, so taking it off was a no-brainer. If I ever need to use it again, putting it back on is maybe 10 or 15 minutes...

I also got a ScanGauge and tested it at different speeds to find out what my maximum mpg speed was. Then, I would try to drive at that speed whenever the opportunity arose. Part of that deal was finding routes to take where that speed won't be too different than normal traffic flow (which meant avoiding the freeways as much as possible.)

Old 11-29-2013, 04:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Wow. I'm really excited to block my grille now. I'm going to tackle that on Sunday. I just looked at ScanGauges on Amazon aand I didn't realize they were completely effortless to install. I might order one as soon as I finish typing this reply.

My commute is extremely straight forward. I really have only one option, and I don't cheese off too many people by going 50-55 in the slow lane since the speed limit on my route Is 55 along a 3 lane highway. I don't hold anyone up.

thanks a lot for the replies!
Old 11-29-2013, 10:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Civic DX (sold) - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 34.15 mpg (US)

GTO (sold) - '04 Pontiac GTO
90 day: 22.62 mpg (US)

Green Brick (sold) - '06 Ford Escape Hybrid
90 day: 31.93 mpg (US)
I would look into an Ultragauge if there aren't any x-gauges for your vehicle. Cheaper and more gauges at once.

Camry Thread
E-Bike Thread
Old 11-30-2013, 03:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
Always Too Busy

White Lightning - '17 Nissan Leaf SV
Team Leaf
90 day: 159.47 mpg (US)
Also make sure you get used to your operating temps with the scangauge before you block too aggressively. Find out what temp your fan kicks on if it's an electric one, and try to keep below that temperature.

My grille block is duct tape over cardboard as I test that very stuff out, so if I have to remove it I won't feel bad. You might consider doing something similar.

Current Car: White Lightning

----------------------------------------------

Retired Car: Betty White
Old 11-30-2013, 07:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Chief - '06 Pontiac Grand Prix
90 day: 26.7 mpg (US)

SF1 - '12 Ford Fiesta S
90 day: 30.95 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselWK View Post
Wow. I'm really excited to block my grille now. I'm going to tackle that on Sunday. I just looked at ScanGauges on Amazon aand I didn't realize they were completely effortless to install. I might order one as soon as I finish typing this reply.
If you are interested in a Scangauge you might consider getting one here

EcoModder Store: Get Stuff, Support EcoModder - EcoModder.com
Old 11-30-2013, 08:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Well I had just ordered a scangauge II, then canceled my order when the ultragauge was mentioned so I can think it over a bit. I will be towing about 5000 lbs for a few longish trips next year, so would the scangauge be worth the extra price for the trans fluid temp gauge? Or should I just save a few bucks and go with the ultragauge? Will be both work in an older vehicle if I get a beater car next spring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flakbadger View Post
Also make sure you get used to your operating temps with the scangauge before you block too aggressively. Find out what temp your fan kicks on if it's an electric one, and try to keep below that temperature.

My grille block is duct tape over cardboard as I test that very stuff out, so if I have to remove it I won't feel bad. You might consider doing something similar.
That's a great idea. I'll start mocking one up tomorrow out of cardboard before I start work on a more finished product. Thanks for the tip.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Chief - '06 Pontiac Grand Prix
90 day: 26.7 mpg (US)

SF1 - '12 Ford Fiesta S
90 day: 30.95 mpg (US)
Some info and opinions here.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...uge-17500.html

The search function should come up with others.

Reply  Post New Thread